House Price Crash Forum

Anyone Work In Retail

m4rk

HOLA441

But if a shop has a product in a sealed set (usually the ones that come with the ties) and everyone comes in, rips them open to try them on, then in no time at all all their stock of that range is scattered over the shop and unsaleable. If it was my shop I wouldn't allow it either and I wouldn't be bothered in the slightest if TM Lewin allowed their stock in to such a state.

If there's one thing a customer definitely won't do after trying something on, it is make any effort at all to place it back in a neat way. It'll get thrown back wherever they choose.

This reminds me of the council making a square corner to a pavement and putting grass in between, before long a more direct diagonal path across the grass is made by those pesky people. Do you get frustrated and keep replanting the grass, do you put up a sign saying "keep off the grass!" or do you take the bloody shirts out of the packet and stop folding them in a way that takes a weeks training to learn? Anything else is Canute territory.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Thanks for this thread.

People play games moving things in supermarkets?!I thought my life was sad. Now I feel much better. My life is like Hugh Hefner compared. Onwards and upwards !!

HOLA443

I think it harks back to the day when the shopkeeper/salesperson was expected to acquiesce to customers requirements, and 'nurture' them a bit - summat like "Are you being served?" , now a real dinosaur in our 'progressive' dry.gif society where " F8ck you" is a polite comment.

How well I remember, going into a branch of Boots, going up to the counter and encountering two girls, looking like they were ready for a night out - gossiping with each other with their backs to the counter.ohmy.gif

"Excuse me" - quoth I - " Do you sell Arrowroot here?"

What did I get by way of a response? "you wha?" accompanied by a look of mild amusement at requesting summat they'd never heard of and affront at having their gossiping session disturbed. This was 20 years ago.ph34r.gif

NOW I would swing into " Victoria Meldrew" mode and give them what for.

Yup, age has its compensations!tongue.gif

Many years ago I was a Saturday Girl in Boots, that could have been me :lol:

HOLA444
Guest theboltonfury

This reminds me of the council making a square corner to a pavement and putting grass in between, before long a more direct diagonal path across the grass is made by those pesky people. Do you get frustrated and keep replanting the grass, do you put up a sign saying "keep off the grass!" or do you take the bloody shirts out of the packet and stop folding them in a way that takes a weeks training to learn? Anything else is Canute territory.

A couple of points here I need to pick you up on

1) KIng Canute was never his name. His actual name was King c n u t. This has been changed in the English language for obvious reasons. True story

2) The shirts are packed as they come with a tie as part of a combo pack or part of a three pack.

edit - c n u t gets done by the swear filter!

HOLA445

It may be just me, but if you work in retail aren't most of these things just stuff that you have to put up with ? We all have petty annoyances in our jobs, well I certainly do. My man gripe with retail is the great majority of dull eyed retards who work in it. i.e Last week I was in B and Q I was looking for some masonry screws. I asked the young chav with a B and Q apron on where they were, she directed me to the screw section and picked up a bag of wood screws.

I said, 'oh, those are wood screws'

She replied, 'yeah, wood's masonry innit'

I couldn't be bothered to correct her. Remember, this is a hardware shop. This person presumably had to get through an interview. Words fail me.

HOLA446

That'll be me. Well not just me, but others too. It's not about a change of mind. It's a game. I started playing it many years ago, after being an admirer of it for a long time. You have to move an item from one place to another. I'm sure you have seen it. The tin of peas on the cereal shelf etc etc.

There are two ways to play. You can move something to somewhere that it would have something in common with. Lets say a jar of jam, moved onto the shelf where the bread is. Or, and this is what I do, move something to somewhere unconnected, and as far away as possible. Not in a distance sense, but in a connection sense. Hence the cheesecake with the vacuum cleaners.

Every supermarket I ever go in, I always keep an eye out for what a fellow player has moved. Sometimes I am impressed, sometimes I can tell it's been done by a beginner.

Personally, I never move anything out of or into freezers, because of the risk. But anything else is fair game.

When I've finished procrastinating here I'm off to Sainsburys, The big question is, do I play or just observe? <_<

HOLA447

it doesnt matter what it is an iron, a toaster tights a bra with picture size and describtion but customers insist on ripping open packaging. it pisses me off!!

"excuse me do you sell milk? " SERIOUSLY!! (supermarket btw)

dumping chilled lines into freezers or leaving frozen cheesecake at the vacuum cleaners.. wtf how did you change your mind when you reached this item.

anyone else have any gripes?

A life time ago I worked in catering , a large man and woman ordered, enough food to feed the red army, they then proceeded to order a diet coke, as if that would have made a massive difference

HOLA448

A life time ago I worked in catering , a large man and woman ordered, enough food to feed the red army, they then proceeded to order a diet coke, as if that would have made a massive difference

Ha ha, I have seen this so much in America. Jabba orders a double cheese quarter pounder with fries onion rings and half a pint of mayo and has a diet coke. Door ? Stable ? Horse ?

HOLA449

When I've finished procrastinating here I'm off to Sainsburys, The big question is, do I play or just observe? <_<

Get in there. For all the complaints from the sports detractors it is clearly job creation at a time of recession with a company that makes an indecent amount of profit as it is. Let us know the highlights of todays match

HOLA4410

2) The shirts are packed as they come with a tie as part of a combo pack or part of a three pack.

That's not the customers problem. I wont buy a piece of clothing, especially one i intend to wear next to my skin, unless i can touch it. There is such a variety despite all of them saying "100% cotton", i bought a shirt without checking it at a discount village in swindon that seemed like a bargain, when i felt the quality i realised i had probably paid over the odds for it, must have been 100% GM cotton because it felt like plastic.

I also need the clothes out of the plastic so i can take it most of the way out of the door to find out what colour it is in normal light. Many a time i've got something home and found the lights in the shop lied to me.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

it doesnt matter what it is an iron, a toaster tights a bra with picture size and describtion but customers insist on ripping open packaging. it pisses me off!!

"excuse me do you sell milk? " SERIOUSLY!! (supermarket btw)

dumping chilled lines into freezers or leaving frozen cheesecake at the vacuum cleaners.. wtf how did you change your mind when you reached this item.

anyone else have any gripes?

So the question is do you sell milk and do you mind if I open it to smell if it is still fresh?

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Get in there. For all the complaints from the sports detractors it is clearly job creation at a time of recession with a company that makes an indecent amount of profit as it is. Let us know the highlights of todays match

Match called off, just getting the shopping done was an ordeal. The combination of pension day and a snowy forecast, caused the place to be packed to the gills with elderly panic buyers.

By the time I'd finished our weekly shop I was at the end of my tether. A rather overweight couple were waddling slowly past the biscuits (which are right near the end), the wife turned her husband and said ' I don't think we need any biscuits', and I had to stop myself from shouting 'No you bl00dy well don't!' :lol:

I'll reschedule the first match for January, after all this Xmas nonsense has died down. Though I fear I may have missed my opportunity to put some bananas next to the Susan Boyle CD.

HOLA4418

Match called off, just getting the shopping done was an ordeal. The combination of pension day and a snowy forecast, caused the place to be packed to the gills with elderly panic buyers.

By the time I'd finished our weekly shop I was at the end of my tether. A rather overweight couple were waddling slowly past the biscuits (which are right near the end), the wife turned her husband and said ' I don't think we need any biscuits', and I had to stop myself from shouting 'No you bl00dy well don't!' :lol:

I'll reschedule the first match for January, after all this Xmas nonsense has died down. Though I fear I may have missed my opportunity to put some bananas next to the Susan Boyle CD.

Ha ha , I always have this internal dialogue when I see a well padded behind waddling towards the Crispy Creme fridge at Tescos. They need someone with a megaphone "Step away from the baked goods, you've had quite enough."

HOLA4419

You get more kudos if you take a photo of said shelf with mobile camera and post.

Winner gets a free weekend 'teach-in' with Injin and his interesting viewpoints.

Should get interesting. :rolleyes:

HOLA4420

I used to think that the customer is always right. Now I believe that quite a lot the customer is a complete w@anker. Just listen to them, as they speak to staff like skivs. They certainly aren't right in insurance companies. There, the customer is often a chancing liar.

Why is the customer always right? It makes no sense. It implies that society isn't full of horrible shits who are constantly trying to screw over everything that moves.

I recently had to wipe a hard drive to get rid of a trojan. I also updated my graphic card and added more ram. Microsoft wouldn't let me re-register online and I had to ring them up.

The first thing the call center chimp says to me (in an accusing manner) "how many computers are you trying to load the operating system on then?" Little shite. Had to hold back from giving the full verbal as I needed the new registration numbers quickly! :angry:

HOLA4421
Guest theboltonfury

I recently had to wipe a hard drive to get rid of a trojan. I also updated my graphic card and added more ram. Microsoft wouldn't let me re-register online and I had to ring them up.

The first thing the call center chimp says to me (in an accusing manner) "how many computers are you trying to load the operating system on then?" Little shite. Had to hold back from giving the full verbal as I needed the new registration numbers quickly! :angry:

For risk of upsetting 90% of this forum, but IT people have a problem in communicating in laymans terms to the outside world when discussing computing stuff. Some of them can't communicate at all. No one on here though!

When I phone the company that host my website and the other that provides my pop3 account, I am frequently having to stay 'stop, stop talking to me like I'm Bill ******ing Gates. I do not know about DNS routing, Name Servers, bandwith or anything - that';s why I'm spending 40pm a minute calling you! And whilst you're there if you could stop talking to me like I'm a naughty kid'

HOLA4422

For risk of upsetting 90% of this forum, but IT people have a problem in communicating in laymans terms to the outside world when discussing computing stuff. Some of them can't communicate at all. No one on here though!

When I phone the company that host my website and the other that provides my pop3 account, I am frequently having to stay 'stop, stop talking to me like I'm Bill ******ing Gates. I do not know about DNS routing, Name Servers, bandwith or anything - that';s why I'm spending 40pm a minute calling you! And whilst you're there if you could stop talking to me like I'm a naughty kid'

That's coz they are forced to follow a set pattern of questions. The management are so far up their own 'rses that they fail to see how they piss off customers and stretch things out this way - inflexible.

Have you ever watched those company problem solving programs with Sir Gerry Robinson?

He goes around all depts. and gathers different viewpoints to get "THE BIGGER PICTURE"

The usual answer to company management - is "USE FEKKIN COMMON SENSE"!

- coz they have lost sight of it with all the iso90001, accreditations, management jobsworths bolox etc

HOLA4423
Guest theboltonfury

That's coz they are forced to follow a set pattern of questions. The management are so far up their own 'rses that they fail to see how they piss off customers and stretch things out this way - inflexible.

Have you ever watched those company problem solving programs with Sir Gerry Robinson?

He goes around all depts. and gathers different viewpoints to get "THE BIGGER PICTURE"

The usual answer to company management - is "USE FEKKIN COMMON SENSE"!

- coz they have lost sight of it with all the iso90001, accreditations, management jobsworths bolox etc

Normally though in support call centres it's full of young lads who think that because they've just got a certificate of some sort from the local special needs school, then I must hang on every word they in relation to my laptop and be altogether thankful that they've stopped playing Championship Manager for long enough to deal with my enquiry.

I'll give it to some of the coders, they are ******ing clever.

HOLA4424

This is what happened to me the other day, went to a large supermarket to buy some marmite mainly, and a few other bits. Where do you think the marmite would be? First I tried the jams and marmalades, no marmite so off I go to find the bovril and oxo cubes, no marmite, I asked a customer they suggested the jams and marmalade...no I said, maybe they don't sell it or have run out? A member of staff walked passed I asked them if they had any marmite...they replied, what is that? Two other customers joined in trying to describe what it was...a brown sticky salty spread, no luck and no help.

I walked away to pay for the few things I in my basket, and on the way to the check out saw another member of staff and thought I would try my luck one more time...he knew exactly where it was on aisle 3, off I trotted behind him...guess where it was? Next to fray bentos pies and fish paste....I think they hide it so while you are looking you fill your trolley up...didn't work with me. ;)

HOLA4425

This is what happened to me the other day, went to a large supermarket to buy some marmite mainly...guess where it was? Next to fray bentos pies and fish paste....I think they hide it so while you are looking you fill your trolley up...

That's an interesting new angle, you think the supermarket planners have started playing? Something you spread on toast next to the pies..... no, they're smarter than me if they made a connection there, pretty high scoring circuit your local, not for amateurs.

Archived