House Price Crash Forum

Lloyds Wins 95% Support For Record Rights Issue

HOLA441

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/banking_and_finance/article6955693.ece

Lloyds Banking Group hailed its record-breaking £13.5 billion rights issue as a success this morning as it emerged 95 per cent of shares on offer were snapped up.

The rights issue was part of a £22.5 billion plan to bolster the bank’s capital position and enable it to avoid further participation in the Government’s Asset Protection Scheme (APS), the costly state-backed insurance scheme for bad debts.

Today's fund raiser was more successful than a £4 billion rights issue in June, when investors snubbed 13 per cent of the new shares on offer. The bank is 43 per cent owned by the Government.

Eric Daniels, chief executive of Lloyds, said: “I would like to thank our shareholders for their considerable support for our capital raising programme.

“Our focus remains on delivering on our plans to become the UK’s leading financial services company, which we believe will result in significant benefits for all our shareholders.”

Shares in Lloyds edged up a fraction of a penny to 56.28p this morning. Shareholders were offered 1.34 new shares for each existing share at 37p.

The rights issue was announced alongside an offer to exchange some debts for a new type of “contingent convertible” or “coco” bond , which converts to shares if the bank suffers fresh financial pain.

Is this around the same value as the RBS share offering several months before RBS collapsed?

I'm sure that won't happen this time around.

Investors were told last April that the Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) had a viable future when the company decided to make an emergency £12billion rights issue.

HOLA442
HOLA443

I'm surprised by this. You would have thought shareholders would be wary after being shafted once by Lloyds and Brown. Now the government has even more control than when it forced Lloyds into a shotgun marriage.

Short memories is the problem. Have people forgotten how Labour shafted them over Railtrack, BT, and British Energy?

I steered clear

Edited by dr ray

HOLA444

Only took them six months to organise too. (see sig)...

I wonder if this could be the last of the big rights issues?

HOLA445

I'm surprised by this. You would have thought shareholders would be wary after being shafted once by Lloyds and Brown. Now the government has even more control than when it forced Lloyds into a shotgun marriage.

Short memories is the problem. Have people forgotten how Labour shafted them over Railtrack, BT, and British Energy?

I steered clear

Shareholders love playing out the Marconi shuffle time and time again in the markets. And besides when it all goes pear shaped and theyve fallen another 90% what difference does it make to the pension fund managers

HOLA446

I avoided them.

Why would i want a share in a company that the majority shareholder is running a deficit of £178 Billion?

The only bank i hold shares in is Standard Chartered , which like an idiot i bought into at about 900p just before they plummeted to the 600p mark .

HOLA447
HOLA448

I avoided them.

Why would i want a share in a company that the majority shareholder is running a deficit of £178 Billion?

The only bank i hold shares in is Standard Chartered , which like an idiot i bought into at about 900p just before they plummeted to the 600p mark .

So you must be sitting on a stonking profit by now. Without having had to dive in and out as with the bust banks.

HOLA449

Isn't it really a forced hand from the Banks to the existing shareholders? Everyone knows their share price will fall once the new shares are issued. So if they don't buy the 'offer' their existing shares lose more value. If they do ? They get some more at what is deemed to be a 'fair' value.

Then again - they have had to buy shares they probably did not want. Lose lose situation for the punter. Well unless the share price then shoots up. Not likely.

HOLA4410

Isn't it really a forced hand from the Banks to the existing shareholders? Everyone knows their share price will fall once the new shares are issued. So if they don't buy the 'offer' their existing shares lose more value. If they do ? They get some more at what is deemed to be a 'fair' value.

Then again - they have had to buy shares they probably did not want. Lose lose situation for the punter. Well unless the share price then shoots up. Not likely.

For the big shareholders (especially the taxpayer), it's a problem. For small shareholders who can trade without swaying the market, it's an opportunity.

I bought into the last Lloyds rights issue at thirty-something pence, so selling at 104p was a good profit.