House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Time to raise the rents.

Panel Backs Rate Cut

Guest consa
"We see this more as a fine-tuning of monetary policy and not the beginning of an easing cycle. In fact, the base rate could well be put back to 4.75% as soon as February,"

Nice Quote, so don't get too excited :lol::lol:

Guest consa

Also I would just like to add for the record that by decreasing the IR by 0.25% at this point in the cycle would more than likely have a reverse phycology effect on consumers and house buyers.

ie: If you are really struggling to cope with your debt and suddenly IR goes down a tiny bit are you suddenly going to feel rich again? NO

Are you going to think you can splash out more on your CC ? NO, you're already at the limit and can't MEW anymore cos the house hasen't gone up in price as expected over the last year.

You could get the nice EA round to do a valuation to see, couldn't you?

How hungry is he to start getting turnover?

What if his valuation was well below what you thought when you didn't expect it?

It might even be below what you owe on it now, but you hadn't been told!!

This would cause the FEAR phase to kick in a bit more sharpish than anticipated, as some realise the market had dropped like a lead balloon they will PANIC and want to sell. This would mean a flood of new properties on the market

Do you think the FTB's will suddenly return in droves, I thought not, they won't pay the stupid price, its cheaper to rent!!

Would consumers think the government are trying to get them into more debt? Possibly quite a few would!!

All just opinions Consa. My post is to weed out the remaining posters who'd claim there'll be no rate cut today so they can feel embarrased about their claim later on....... :lol:

I won't be embarassed, just dismayed. Won't make the blindest bit of difference to house prices though - still down.

Guest consa
All just opinions Consa. My post is to weed out the remaining posters who'd claim there'll be no rate cut today so they can feel embarrased about their claim later on....... :lol:

Bring on the CUT and inflationary pressures etc.... leaping rises later

lets get this show on the road

There was a guy on radio 4 this morning in their finance slot at 6.15. He was saying there shouldn't be a drop but thought there probably would. He said the slowdown in the economy was to be expected and the result of the previous rises in rates, which take time to filter through into the economy. The retail sector was experiencing problems because some of them had expanded too fast in the good times. Normal competition should sort this out. Anyway, he said, even if they do drop, then that would be it, no more falls for the foreseeable future. His actual words were "Goodnight Vienna". He didn't explain that comment.

I don't think anyone is stupid enough not to expect a rate cut. This is just a sign of how funked up this kuntry is!

Guest Charlie The Tramp
My post is to weed out the remaining posters who'd claim there'll be no rate cut today so they can feel embarrased about their claim later on....... :lol:

Well I`m not frightened to put my head on the block.

Rates again on hold, and you are quite welcome to goad me if I am wrong.

They who get to laugh eventually get egg on their face. <_<

If they cut because of external pressures from outside sources then they are truly not independent but cowardly.

Edited by Charlie The Tramp

The Times reported this last night .... Service sector strength casts doubt on rate cut

The Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply’s purchasing managers index (PMI) of activity in the service sector rose to 56.3 in July from 55.8 in June. A reading above 50 indicates an expansion in activity, while a sub-50 figure indicates a contraction.

Most economists were expecting a slight fall in the index after recent surveys showing lower consumer spending and slower service sector growth.

"There is still some risk that the five members of the MPC who voted for steady policy in July remain concerned that consumer weakness is being overstated. We would agree with such a view.

The data casts some doubt on whether the Bank of England’s Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) will decide to cut interest rates when it meets tomorrow.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/...1719504,00.html

================================================

Well the BOE's decision may not be decided yet , we'll have to wait and see.

:P:P:P:P:P:P

Ouch! Brave words Charlie but unfortunately I fear you'll be eating your words later along with a fresh slice of humble pie served up by TTRTR. As much as I'd like to see rates held today, Betfair is showing odds of 1.18 on a cut and 6.2 on a hold! The big money is hardly ever wrong!

Guest Charlie The Tramp
Betfair is showing odds of 1.18 on a cut and 6.2 on a hold!  The big money is hardly ever wrong!

1.18 on a cut, then 6.2 or 3.1 are an insult to the punters. :angry:

Let's see........

A 0.25% reduction in IRs on a £100K IO mortgage is a saving of £4.80 per week, less than the price of a packet of cigarettes.

Does anyone seriously think this will make a difference?

Let's see........

A 0.25% reduction in IRs on a £100K IO mortgage is a saving of £4.80 per week, less than the price of a packet of cigarettes.

No!

Guest The_Oldie
Let's see........

Almost certainly not, other than sentiment, but it would give the VIs a morsel to spin......and spin.....and spin.....