House Price Crash Forum

Swindon Anyone? A Few Anecdotes

anto

HOLA441

I've spent ages lurking, and no-one *ever* talks about Swindon so here are a few examples of falling flats I've noticed. Would love to hear what anyone else thinks, especially about SN1 (and not just flats, either).

1) http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-711...pa_n=3&tr_t=buy

Started off at £145k late last year, and has come down £5k at a time - just last week down to "Guide price £125k". This is one of the best streets in Old Town, too. Interestingly, the smaller 1 bed flat upstairs went much faster last year - was advertised at £130k if I remember right.

2) Plaza 21 prices are through the floor - check out the same 1 bed flat, a different price at 4 agents - last year similar places were advertised for anything between £120-£130.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-826...pa_n=3&tr_t=buy

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-711...pa_n=2&tr_t=buy

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-463...pa_n=2&tr_t=buy

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-748...pa_n=2&tr_t=buy

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-463...pa_n=1&tr_t=buy

...but then it'scompeting with one even cheaper that's also not shifting: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-774...pa_n=1&tr_t=buy.

3) http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-381...pa_n=6&tr_t=buy

Started off at £172k (or was it £175k?) over a year ago - has been reduced to £150 since before Christmas, and now on at 4 agents! Flat next door is now on at £155k (no street frontage, hence higher price) and also going nowhere. Why don't they realise it's overpriced?

Things are getting INTERESTING!

4) And I just love this one - http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-725...pa_n=5&tr_t=buy - a candidate for the 'most overpriced sh*thole' thread, maybe. Can't wait to see how long it takes to sell an average sized 2 bedroom flat above an empty double-glazing showroom on Victoria Road at £150k.

Thoughts, anyone?

Anto.

HOLA442

Anto,

I too am interested in Swindon, looking at SN25 and SN5 though.

I've noticed lots more For Sales in SN1 though, especially on the lead in road to

Fleet Street (can't remember the name) - seen 2 for sales and 1 to let come

up recently.

Lots of price drops, usually around the 5-10K mark on the cheaper houses.

EDIT!!!

--------

That last one on Victoria Rd is taking the pi$$ - rooms are tiny too!!! you can get

a 3 bed semi-detached house for a little less than that and in a decent area too!

Edited by OzzMosiz

HOLA443
HOLA444
That sounds like Farringdon Rd - the park opposite has a (justifiably) bad reputation after dark, which keeps prices lower.  It's a shame.

What are prices doing wheree you're looking, Ozz?

Faringdon Rd - thats it. Yes that park has a bad rep indeed.

They are slowly moving down, seen some stubborn prices still though.

SN5 seems to be sinking slower than SN25 but thats understandable

as SN25 (apart from Penhill) is more desirable.

HOLA445

Hi Anto & Ozzmoziz. Yes agree with everything that you both put in your posts. My thoughts are that a decent 3 bed semi (2 rec) in reasonable area (SN25, Old Walcot etc) are holding their prices (hovering c. £160K) and are in demand still. This is the sort spec that I am looking at. However 2 bed terraces and 4 beds detached are dropping noticeably. A 2 bed terrace in SN1 town centre has dropped from £115K to £110 this year and three bed terraced have fallen from £135 ish to £125K. 4 Beds generally have fallen from £220K to £190K. West Swindon seems fairly cheap, I guess that this is because of demand for newer builds in SN25. On that subject I have noticed that houses bought in Okahurst and Redhouse have not held their price over the last year and are £15K lower than last year when new.

Keep putting in those low offers someone will accept! Most likely a developer with a part ex on their books.

• 1 month later...
HOLA446

There is a block of flats near my house which provide an interesting insight into the market.

The are all identical tiny studio flats and the following information was gleaned from nethouseprices.

Aug 01 £37,500

Nov 01 £45,000

Nov 01 £45,500

Mar 02 £46,500

Mar 02 £52,500

Dec 02 £52,000

Sep 03 £63,995

Mar 04 £64,000

Aug 04 £63,250

Oct 04 £62,500

Since 2004, many have come up for sale.

3 have been advertised for £68,000 and one for £72,000.

At the moment there are 4 for sale at £60,000-62,000, although none have sold.

HOLA447
There is a block of flats near my house which provide an interesting insight into the market.

The are all identical tiny studio flats and the following information was gleaned from nethouseprices.

Aug 01 £37,500

Nov 01 £45,000

Nov 01 £45,500

Mar 02 £46,500

Mar 02 £52,500

Dec 02 £52,000

Sep 03 £63,995

Mar 04 £64,000

Aug 04 £63,250

Oct 04 £62,500

Since 2004, many have come up for sale.

3 have been advertised for £68,000 and one for £72,000.

At the moment there are 4 for sale at £60,000-62,000, although none have sold.

Mhifoe - that wouldn't be the block on County road on (pedestrian) route to Tesco's would it? There are always at least 2 EA signs in the gardens, I think a lot of ftb's eager to get on the bandwagon have started there and realised it's no fun sleeping in your kitchen....

I'm out at Shrivenham, where short of an apocalypse I'll never be able to buy, so I guess I'm looking at Swindon too...haven't done any research yet and probably won't until I'm confident that the crash is really on. Thinking about Rodbourne, it seems reasonable and relatively cheap - have a friend there who's never been burgled or shot, which is nice.

HOLA448
Mhifoe - that wouldn't be the block on County road on (pedestrian) route to Tesco's would it? There are always at least 2 EA signs in the gardens, I think a lot of ftb's eager to get on the bandwagon have started there and realised it's no fun sleeping in your kitchen....

I'm out at Shrivenham, where short of an apocalypse I'll never be able to buy, so I guess I'm looking at Swindon too...haven't done any research yet and probably won't until I'm confident that the crash is really on. Thinking about Rodbourne, it seems reasonable and relatively cheap - have a friend there who's never been burgled or shot, which is nice.

Those flats are in Shire Court which is off Westcott Place.

I think Rodbourne is a good choice, a number of my friends live that way.

Old town is nice but expensive and parts of the town centre are also pretty good.

HOLA449

I've got a mate who lives in Rodbourne. Ok its not a snazzy area, but his terraced 3 bed house (which

doesn't look much from the outside) is actually pretty nice inside and has a nice long garden!

Been in a few of the SN1 terraced houses, and some of them are really nice, with decent sized bedrooms,

although you walk from the front door right into the living room and you'd have to put up with town traffic in some areas oh as well as bathrooms downstairs.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4410
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4411

I've been keeping an eye on those flats that I mentioned earlier.

As of this morning there are now 6 out of the 16 up for sale.

I shall post back if someone actually manages to sell one.

One of the flats has been reduced to £56,500 today (previously it was £60,000).

Strangely another one has appeared with a laughably optimistic asking price of £65,000.

HOLA4412

One of the flats has been reduced to £56,500 today (previously it was £60,000).

Strangely another one has appeared with a laughably optimistic asking price of £65,000.

Cheers for the update, mhifoe.

If there's a crash, or at least a reasonable adjustment, I'd consider a poky little flat...I've no ambitions to owning a country pile, and I've only got me, myself and I to worry about. These sort of flats are probably more resaleable in Swindon than anywhere else as it is such an "incomer" town with a lot of single graduates arriving to work there.

As for "bad" areas of Swindon...well, it's all relative when you've lived in Glasgow. I walk right on through groups of Swindon "chavs"...in Glasgow I used to cross the road if I saw a group of skip-capped "neds" (the local term) coming my way, for fear of getting "chibbed" with a stanley blade. Swindon chavs are threatening only to the extent you might hurt yourself laughing at them. :lol:

Edited by Leodhasach

HOLA4413
  • 3 months later...
HOLA4414

A little anecdotal from work...

Colleague with a house up for sale, not quite sure of the price or exact location (don't know him that well, this has been obtained from blatant eavesdropping - I guess many HPCers ears start twitching when they overhear a snippet of conversation that includes "selling/buying a house" ;) ). Anyway, complaints over tea yesterday - "2 months now, and only two viewings" - "one was interested, but they offered 20K below the asking price" - "we're prepared to take 5K below the asking price, but 20K is taking the pi$$" - he probably can't see any irony in the fact that he's probably asking for twice as much as he paid for it 5 years ago.....

• 1 month later...
HOLA4415

No update on my previous post I'm afraid.

I've been keeping an eye on Shrivenham/Watchfield/Longcot. A couple of houses have sold STC in Shriv - mind you, one near me that had a "sold" sign up a week after the "for sale" sign went up has now reverted to "for sale" another week later...don't know if this was a bit of EA skullduggery or not. Most of the other properties I watch are still for sale, no price moves apparent yet. There is this one in Watchfield - not suitable for cat-swingers - which has just recently had "£5000 cashback" added to the brochure. I've never seen cashback offered on non-new builds before - surely only the truly stupid could not see this a £5K price fall??

• 5 months later...
HOLA4416