House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Warwickshire Lad

Overdone Language In The Media

It continues to annoy me that language about the property market in the media is overcooked.

Apparently, a 0.1% increase in prices in Berkshire this month means that house prices are rocketing.

Give me a break ! :rolleyes:

I also can't help feeling that with the amount of property surveys about (and the frequency they get reported) had it's contributing factor in egging on this bubble in the first place.

One day in the media you'd hear "house prices are up 16%", then a few days later you'd hear "house prices are up 20%". Both were different surveys covering the same monthly period, but the impression left with the casual viewer is that house prices went up by 16% and then a further 20% on top, hence the rush to buy !

Edited by Warwickshire Lad

What would the opposite word to "Rocketing" be? It wouldn't be "crashing" would it?

Well, since in many areas a reduction of 5-8% has been widely reported in 6 months or less and confirmed by many independent sources, a 0.1 % "rise" (no stats sourced to back that up) in one month (representing approx 1% rise if it continued for half a year) does seem a pretty pathetic excuse for "rocketing", if you are suggesting that the word "crash" is equally excessive.

VP

I also can't help feeling that with the amount of property surveys about (and the frequency they get reported) had it's contributing factor in egging on this bubble in the first place.

According to someone whose identity I have conveniently forgotten, when you see a rash of new indices trying to summarise the value of a market, it is a sign that market has topped out. Let's see, we now have land registry, nationwide, halifax, office of the dpm, rightmove, naea, cml, hometrack.... hmmm <_<

frugalista

Guest horace

It continues to annoy me that language about the property market in the media is overcooked.

Not to mention so called experts who frequently say "Landlord`s renting out" when they fail to appreciate that landlords LET and tenants RENT.

horace.

Edited by horace

The hysterical media (I shall not mention the Mail and the Mirror)

will actually assist a crash, once percentages are interesting enough

to get reported.

Headlines like "Prices Diving in Dorset" and "Crashing in Cardiff"

will assist the precipitation of panic.