House Price Crash Forum

Estate Agents Going Under

Alfie Moon

HOLA441

It would seem, despite the price rises, Estate Agents are still going bust at a decent pace. See:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/5c2a5d48-e67b-11de-98b1-00144feab49a.html

One in six estate agency offices across the UK’s major cities have shut this year as the housing crash has continued to batter the industry.

Although house prices have seen a bounce in the past few months, the level of transactions remains low, which has meant that there is little of the churn needed to generate fees.

+

An analysis of the top 10 cities by the Local Data Company shows that 142 of 900 estate agents closed during the period, or about 16 per cent, with just a single store reopening.

The estate agents that operate chains – those with five shops or more – were proportionately the hardest hit, with 54 of 322 chain outlets closing. About 89 of the 578 independents shut during the period.

+

This made me laugh!!

James Moss, director at Curzon Investment Property, a boutique property management company, said that estate agents needed to sharpen up their image. He said: “The closures are a direct result of the property crash, but the other huge problem we have is that people see estate agents more like window salesmen than doctors.”

+

The office closures are likely to be unrepresentative of the cuts in jobs in the industry, however, with some estimates suggesting that the number of agents has fallen from about 55,000 in 2007 to about 35,000 now. One agent head said: “This is because the main costs are staff and offices that had 5 people in are now functioning with one man and a dog.”

So about 36% of the Estate Agency workforce have lost their job. What will it be by the end of 2010?

Edited by Alfie Moon

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

I had plenty of anedotals from when I used to do the accounts of estate agents, they were all in deep doo doo, yet they still spent like there was no tommorow changing cars yearly not cheap cars either those Audi TTs are most definately not cheap.

gotta present an image of success...right up to the meeting at the receivers.

HOLA447

Apart from adding to the unemployment numbers this is pretty good news. In most villages, towns and cities there are far too many EAs when you only need a few to encourage healthy competition. Hopefully the unoccupied shops will be taken up by someone who provides a service and they are not just left vacant (otherwise "Apart from adding to the unemployment numbers and the possibility of empty shops in our high streets ......").

HOLA448

Apart from adding to the unemployment numbers this is pretty good news. In most villages, towns and cities there are far too many EAs when you only need a few to encourage healthy competition. Hopefully the unoccupied shops will be taken up by someone who provides a service and they are not just left vacant (otherwise "Apart from adding to the unemployment numbers and the possibility of empty shops in our high streets ......").

competition?...no-one NEEDS andEA...the competition is between the sellers and buyers of houses.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Agree that no-one needs them (just like we don't NEED removals companies) but it does make life easier.

removals companies are needed. I cant move a whole house of furniture on my own.

Indeed, having 4 guys do it, you get a market efficiency in that you dont have to employ 4 guys except when you need them.

EAs on the other hand?

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

removals companies are needed. I cant move a whole house of furniture on my own.

Indeed, having 4 guys do it, you get a market efficiency in that you dont have to employ 4 guys except when you need them.

EAs on the other hand?

Well I actually could move a whole house of furniture on with the help of a couple of mates and a van. Some people would say that they couldn't find a house let alone buy one without the help of an estate agent. Fine, you have obviously bought a few houses yourself but for those who haven't it is a very daunting prospect. I am standing into danger of being called an Estate Agent here and no bear will believe that I am not one - I'm not though.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416