House Price Crash Forum

Frankie Boyle Corporate Gig 11/12/09

the_duke_of_hazzard

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's odd. I've seen Frankie Boyle live on a number of occasions (not big stage gigs, local comedy clubs), and he could certainly take it and dish it out without any problems. Though I'll admit I was most disappointed after watching his recent stand up DVD. It wasn't anywhere near as good as he was when I'd seen him. I get the feeling he's now reached the "I can't be bothered" point in his career, which is a real shame as he certainly used to be great. Too much TV exposure does seem to ruin a lot of comedians.

That's odd. I've seen Frankie Boyle live on a number of occasions (not big stage gigs, local comedy clubs), and he could certainly take it and dish it out without any problems. Though I'll admit I was most disappointed after watching his recent stand up DVD. It wasn't anywhere near as good as he was when I'd seen him. I get the feeling he's now reached the "I can't be bothered" point in his career, which is a real shame as he certainly used to be great. Too much TV exposure does seem to ruin a lot of comedians.

I think that's it. He just can't be bothered anymore. He's been doing stand-up for 10 years, and I get the feeling if your heart's not in it, you can forget it - the crowd will always sniff you out.

nice :lol:

I think a lot of his stuff with an audience is so good as he is anticipating their reaction, and sometimes he gets what he expected after a setup, and sometimes he does not. You can see his face light up like the cat that got the cream when he gets it right, and the grin is twice as big was he gets something unexpected back and still nails the participant - in fact he takes absolute glee in it.

Previously I had a pre-formed opinion of his work based on his tv panel show appearances, I had decided he was garbage I was made to watch a full 90 minute standup show by a pal, and it totally changed my opinion of what it is he is doing and how.

Actually, you're totally wrong. Jimmy carr is rubbish at dealing with hecklers as he himself admits, and the anecdote mentioned previously shows.

His stuff relies on a very pre-determined route through his show. I've seen him loads of times, particularly very early on in his career (way before folks had heard of him) and I've seen him stumped by the audience loads of times.

The king of the comeback is (or was) Frank Skinner. Shame he's a bit of a numpty these days.

Won't load up for me?

Didn't move for ages so I gave up, then ran when I tabbed back into it.

I think that's it. He just can't be bothered anymore. He's been doing stand-up for 10 years, and I get the feeling if your heart's not in it, you can forget it - the crowd will always sniff you out.

Yep, there for the payday and the plaudits rather than being up for the fight. Dylan Moran said that facing down a room full of noisy drunks is bread and butter for a stand-up.

Archived