House Price Crash Forum

Frankie Boyle Corporate Gig 11/12/09

the_duke_of_hazzard

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why are you asking me if you think he's gay? I dont know what you think, thats up to you.

Because you described him as "that gay bloke." I couldn't care less if he's gay or not, its how you chose to describe him. "The bloke with black hair that does Live from the Apollo" might have been more descriptive.

Because you described him as "that gay bloke." I couldn't care less if he's gay or not, its how you chose to describe him. "The bloke with black hair that does Live from the Apollo" might have been more descriptive.

Ah, Jason Manford, Peter Kay, Michael McIntyre...all a tad bland...I really used to like Peter Kay..Phoenix Nights & his 6 half hour episodes of various characters were fabulous (Senor Whippy was my favourite)...I'm bored of him now, like I am with McIntyre..

So why did you ask me if you think he is gay?

You either think he is gay or you dont, or maybe you are undecided. Either way I dont know what is going on in your head so why ask me?

Guest theboltonfury

I beg to differ. He's about as funny as finding a poo in your swimming pool.

Totally agree. Right up there with Lenny 'have you noticed I'm black?' Henry and Jo 'Have you noticed I'm fat?' Brand

it's all about Jimmy Carr these days. his live shows are fantastic. in the art of dealing with hecklers and audience participation, he his currently unsurpassed.

I got Jimmy Carr stuck for words on TV a few years ago. Never made it to screen though.

Interesting tale. I suppose the thing that strikes me most is that Mr Boyle (who I find to have all the charm of a Glastonbury portatoilet on a hot afternoon) should be able to take what he dishes out. Its a bit pathetic to have a hardman/sharp-tongued image and than flounce off at the first sign of trouble. I thought it was sort of the unwritten law that comics of that variety do get a bit more flack (well beyond popping balloons) than other styles of stand-up because their act is in a sense "about" being a bit of a bully. There is also a bit of a lack of the showbiz mentality, I wonder if his apprenticeship was long enough, you don't get this crap from the old hands (who know that even if people start throwing things at you, you stay until the bitter end if only to get paid). Perhaps his prior alcoholism means he can't remember his apprenticeship and its all new to him.

That said I'm not really a massive fan of stand-up anyway. Call me bland but I had to pick someone to go and see I'd probably go for Victoria Wood. I think the thing is I've never found saying offensive/taboo things especially dangerous and exciting. Perhaps if you don't suffer, as I do, from an inner monologue that makes Malcolm Tucker seem polite perhaps you might. I prefer either wit (of the Linda Smith/Paul Merton) or craft (ie. not bothered if the performer wrote it or not). All that macho stuff just makes me hate the preening **** (cockette?) spouting off, its a thread of British comedy that does nothing for me. I got dragged to see Ben Elton once, in Glasgow as well (the comedian's graveyard). Not a massive fan and even less so now but he did OK. The only thing was that he isn't a man with a lot of material. This was in maybe 95, the same hour of material lasted him until well into the next century, including a whole series, in fact pretty much up to the end of his comedy career. Someone who went with me told me it also made up a big chunk of one his books. If you were a "fan" you'd be buying the same stuff over and over again.

Ah, Jason Manford, Peter Kay, Michael McIntyre...all a tad bland...I really used to like Peter Kay..Phoenix Nights & his 6 half hour episodes of various characters were fabulous (Senor Whippy was my favourite)...I'm bored of him now, like I am with McIntyre..

Yeah, Peter Kay hasn't made me laugh since Phoenix Nights. And remember that Phoenix Nights was co-written with Dave Spikey and some other bloke - which means its success wasn't solely down to Kay.

I see idiots like James Cordon and Matthew Horne trying to be funny like two tipsy undergraduates in a student bar, and I despair at the state of television comedy.

I think live comedy is where it's at. There's a guy called Daniel Kitson who I've seen a couple of times, and he's funny (but never goes on TV). Also, a bloke called Ian Cognito, who again never goes on TV, but in a comedy club he brings the house down.

Details please. :)

Was on an extreme game show he was doing. Told us we could say what we wanted. So I took them at their word !! He asked us all what we thought of him. I replied that I thought him and Jamie Oliver were similar. He asked why. I told him "Because you are both complete c unts".

Only about 3 people in the entire place laughed :lol:

Myself and him being two of them. He does seem to like the offensive stuff. He wasn't expecting that and was a bit stuck for a second. Never showed that bit or numerous other offensive things I said either. No point saying it was no holds barred if they never really meant it !!

I did win a car though for getting my nipple pierced. £6.5k for 2 hours work. Not bad.

Was on an extreme game show he was doing. Told us we could say what we wanted. So I took them at their word !! He asked us all what we thought of him. I replied that I thought him and Jamie Oliver were similar. He asked why. I told him "Because you are both complete c unts".

Myself and him being two of them. He does seem to like the offensive stuff. He wasn't expecting that and was a bit stuck for a second. Never showed that bit or numerous other offensive things I said either. No point saying it was no holds barred if they never really meant it !!

I did win a car though for getting my nipple pierced. £6.5k for 2 hours work. Not bad.

nice :lol:

I think a lot of his stuff with an audience is so good as he is anticipating their reaction, and sometimes he gets what he expected after a setup, and sometimes he does not. You can see his face light up like the cat that got the cream when he gets it right, and the grin is twice as big was he gets something unexpected back and still nails the participant - in fact he takes absolute glee in it.

Previously I had a pre-formed opinion of his work based on his tv panel show appearances, I had decided he was garbage I was made to watch a full 90 minute standup show by a pal, and it totally changed my opinion of what it is he is doing and how.

Is this on youtube at all?

Are you Gabriela?

If I was I - would be feeling my baps right now. She was mighty fine. :D

You know the weird thing ? She was really shit scared of getting a piercing. So for me to win was easy. (Even with my nervous eye twitch !!). But then after the show she got her belly button done for free from the tattoo bird ?! As she had always wanted it done. Very strange. Not that I was bothered.

PS - That was not my top - the BBC gave me it !!

Guest theboltonfury

If I was I - would be feeling my baps right now. She was mighty fine. :D

You know the weird thing ? She was really shit scared of getting a piercing. So for me to win was easy. (Even with my nervous eye twitch !!). But then after the show she got her belly button done for free from the tattoo bird ?! As she had always wanted it done. Very strange. Not that I was bothered.

PS - That was not my top - the BBC gave me it !!

well done mate! I'd have feinted straight into Gabriela's bosom.

Jimmy Carr is funny, I think.

Archived