House Price Crash Forum

Frankie Boyle Corporate Gig 11/12/09

the_duke_of_hazzard

FB did a corporate gig at our Christmas bash.

You'd think this was bread and butter: turn up, little routine, give out some awards, smile/be humorously rude, then f-off home with the cash.

After 30 seconds he walked out. Had we heckled rudely? Said he looked like a spoon? No. Someone let a balloon off during his second joke.

I felt sorry for him to be honest - he obviously isn't confident enough as a comedian to deal with audiences that aren't docile. It was quite shocking to see a nationally famous comedian apparently entirely unequipped to deal with a room full of drunk office workers.

I think he's crap anyway - he just strings together pre-prepared jokes like a robot. But I thought at least he'd be able to entertain in that context. There's no craft to his standup at all. It took Woody Allen years to get from gag-writer to standup toiling away in little rooms.

Apparently the CEO's missus chased him and told him "I don't who you are but you're pathetic. We had Cheggers last year and he p1ssed on you!"

Poor sod.

(Cheggers was good.)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cash in! Phone the Mail, they'll pay for this story.

We've got it on video... I think it'll be a case of "15K back please or we've got the rights and it's going on youTube"

Rupert Murdoch has pretty good lawyers...

You can have Cheggers for 8K / hour.

Keith Harris and Orville are 1K and no accommodation need be provided.

Richard Hammond is 80K for half an hour ffs!

Apparently FB walked out of a corporate gig last week, and has four more before Christmas. He must be really suffering. No money's worth that humiliation. What gets me is that he hasn't prepared himself for this. If I were doing these kind of gigs I'd do some kind of prep and have _some_ comebacks prepared. Every comedian in a pub has them and he can obviously learn lines and deliver them!

Just found this. Pretty similar, but we had _no_ heckles.

http://www.forum.carvoeiro.com/viewtopic.php?t=12761&sid=cbe8bbece621277b6c6c7c2605b9c7f9

I'm in two minds about old Frankie, he does have some brilliant one liners but stringing a load of those together makes for some pretty dull stand up. I watched the DVD of his comedy and not only was it pretty tedious after about half and hour he also came across as being a complete and utter ****. Could have been part of the act but he pulled that part off a treat.

In the same vein but for better reasons here is a reason I quite like Micheal Mcintyre...

Micheal refuses gig for debt collectors

Frankie Boyle is the poor man's Jerry Sadowitz - or at least that's who he nicks half of his jokes from.

Jerry Sadowitz was brilliant. He should have been massive.

I would always have Cheggers in pref to Boyle, Cheggers only pops up on telly occasionally these days but is always very funny.

And why would anybody have that irritating tit Richard Hammond to present anything?

We've got it on video... I think it'll be a case of "15K back please or we've got the rights and it's going on youTube"

Richard Hammond is 80K for half an hour ffs!

Just found this. Pretty similar, but we had _no_ heckles.

http://www.forum.carvoeiro.com/viewtopic.php?t=12761&sid=cbe8bbece621277b6c6c7c2605b9c7f9

Cheaper than that - 10K-25K

http://www.jla.co.uk/after-dinner-speakers/richard-hammond

I wouldn't pay him a fiver to whitewash my chicken shed.

Guest theboltonfury

About 15 years ago my Dad's company (it was his company) booked Barrymore for £40k for their Christmas do. They said he was embarrassingly bad. Almost inept.

The next year they booked Bobby Davro (when he hadn't been on TV for years). He said he cost about 4k for the night and was utterly hilarious, did 90 minutes of top rate stand up then got shredded with them all for the rest of the night.

It was quite shocking to see a nationally famous comedian apparently entirely unequipped to deal with a room full of drunk office workers.

The only way anyone can be equipped to deal with a room full of drunk office workers, is if they are carrying a machine gun.

FB is one of the unfortunate new breed of "comedians" who depend on ever more outrageous, offensive and obscene routines to make people laugh.

Funny for a while, but then it just gets boring. Thats why that gay bloke is sich a refreshing change. He is actually funny without having to refer to bestiality/bigotry/necrohpilia etc..

About 15 years ago my Dad's company (it was his company) booked Barrymore for £40k for their Christmas do. They said he was embarrassingly bad. Almost inept.

The next year they booked Bobby Davro (when he hadn't been on TV for years). He said he cost about 4k for the night and was utterly hilarious, did 90 minutes of top rate stand up then got shredded with them all for the rest of the night.

Thanks for that - I'll mention it for next year. I guess the trick is not to go for "trendy" as your mileage may vary, and experienced hands are likely to give value for money (and enjoy themselves - otherwise they wouldn't be doing it).

I thought Barrymore was dreadful with people generally - just a bully. People were laughing on his ITV shows and I would wonder why nobody noticed that he was just being nasty.

Not Alan Carr?

So to those who find Frankie Boyle & and all the new "comedians" offensive, which standups do you like? Jim Davidson? Bernard Manning? Jethro? Chubby Brown?

I dont personally find them offensive, at least not in the Daily Mail sense of it. I just think its sad that people have to resort to obscenity to raise a laugh rather than using genuine comedy.

Billy Connely is a good example. He used to be very good but every now and again he would resort to swearing to be funny, and that just didnt work. Omjid Djali (spelling?) is another example of a comedian who is genuinely funny without having to violate every existing taboo to get a chuckle going.....

I dont think being offensive is funny per se. It can be a usefull tool when used skillfully but I reckon comedians increasingly rely on being as crass as possible to make up for the fact that they just dont have any good material.

Archived