House Price Crash Forum

Should I Buy A Nissan Primera 02-06?

loginandtonic

its been over 2 minutes + no reply,

the forum is fast losing its reputation for instantaneous solutions to the issues facing the man in the street.

:P

post a link to the car on autotrader or wherever and I am sure you will get lots of replies. On the face of it, sounds like an extremely dull choice of a car, I dont think the chicks will digg it much.

post a link to the car on autotrader or wherever and I am sure you will get lots of replies. On the face of it, sounds like an extremely dull choice of a car, I dont think the chicks will digg it much.

theres loads of them around, some people say they aren't typically reliable as most nissans are reputed to be.

for example, with the reliability index i posted before, the almera is very reliable, but i dont think they mean the last generation, they mean 1999/2000/2001. i fear a bit of rumoured french unreliability creeping in to some models.

Avoid 2.2 turbo diesel's, turbo's reputed to have a very short life.

i think i've heard that warning elsewhere too, so i was going to get a petrol for that very reason

I had one as a hire car once.

I actually had to stop the car and pull over to try and figure out how the radio worked. It was too much for my small brain to drive a car and figure out how to tune the thing at the same time.

I freely admit that this is probably next to useless information for the OP.

But I go with the other comment that it's hardly going to help with the ladies... :P

Unexciting but reliable was certainly the impression I'd got of Nissans.

That having been said, a few years back I replaced the front brake pads and discs on a friend's Micra after one of the discs disintegrated. Symptom was that it started pulling to the left when braking. She was a bit skint at the time so I agreed to take a look. A huge chunk of the n/s disc was missing, some of the vent spokes had disintegrated and there were cracks on the interior facing surface. They'd only done around 20k miles (so she claimed).

I had one as a hire car once.

I actually had to stop the car and pull over to try and figure out how the radio worked. It was too much for my small brain to drive a car and figure out how to tune the thing at the same time.

I freely admit that this is probably next to useless information for the OP.

But I go with the other comment that it's hardly going to help with the ladies... :P

i know they're supposed to have this patented x-number of buttons centre console thing which is supposed to be easy to use but isnt probably. i also dont like the central speedo. but anyway, i like nissan reliability. i prefer german cars myself but dont want that expense these days, been there + done that.

not too worried about the ladies, they is not going to be a'coming my way anyway most probably, + if by some small chance they do then they will just have to lump it!

Unexciting but reliable was certainly the impression I'd got of Nissans.

That having been said, a few years back I replaced the front brake pads and discs on a friend's Micra after one of the discs disintegrated. Symptom was that it started pulling to the left when braking. She was a bit skint at the time so I agreed to take a look. A huge chunk of the n/s disc was missing, some of the vent spokes had disintegrated and there were cracks on the interior facing surface. They'd only done around 20k miles (so she claimed).

bit worrying that, is that anything related to the brake callipers? apparently the almera tinos + other models get them stuck + its £250+ each

i know they're supposed to have this patented x-number of buttons centre console thing which is supposed to be easy to use but isnt probably. i also dont like the central speedo. but anyway, i like nissan reliability. i prefer german cars myself but dont want that expense these days, been there + done that.

not too worried about the ladies, they is not going to be a'coming my way anyway most probably, + if by some small chance they do then they will just have to lump it!

That's the thing. It's a sort of control knob in the centre of the dash. Was a mare. I suppose you would figure it out though.

When I was buying cars I always bought Japanese. They don't look so good but are reliable (mind you I was buying really old cars).

That's the thing. It's a sort of control knob in the centre of the dash. Was a mare. I suppose you would figure it out though.

When I was buying cars I always bought Japanese. They don't look so good but are reliable (mind you I was buying really old cars).

i'm quite good at button pressing + stuff like that yes :lol:

i asked a garage a couple of months ago what cars to avoid, both the staff in reception looked at each other + at the same time said "avoid anything french" !

If you want a boring non descript car get a toyota.

i dont like the look of them these days

thx onlyme, i forgot about hj. just read some of the reports on other cars, i can vouch for them as accurate because i can recall the same problems when i owned those models. why cant manufacturers get everything right after so many years of experience? it seems no one manufacturer has a vehicle with all parts at a low failure rate, each has its own shortcomings somewhere, just like people do.

bit worrying that, is that anything related to the brake callipers? apparently the almera tinos + other models get them stuck + its £250+ each

This was a long time ago, but IIRC the pistons retracted without arguing when asked to by a crowbar. She also owned the car for a year after I replaced the discs and pads, and didn't report any problem during that time (during which it also passed an MoT). If the root cause was that the piston in the caliper had got stuck and bonded the pad to the disc, you'd have expected that to have taken a bite out of the pad as well. In fact the pads looked OK - I only replaced them because the rule book says that you should always replace the pads when replacing the discs and some bloke on Ebay was selling a complete set of both as a package.

i dont like the look of them these days

thx onlyme, i forgot about hj. just read some of the reports on other cars, i can vouch for them as accurate because i can recall the same problems when i owned those models. why cant manufacturers get everything right after so many years of experience? it seems no one manufacturer has a vehicle with all parts at a low failure rate, each has its own shortcomings somewhere, just like people do.

Funnily enough I was thinking exactly when I had a quick scan down the list of problems. Complete engine redesign, ok can be forgiven to a degree, but even then you'd think that faults would be shaken out with simulated long term testing. Faults elsewhere - brakes, clutch, should be no incipient faults. Conclusion - crap parts that don't meet required material spec a lot of the time but still get into the system.

This was a long time ago, but IIRC the pistons retracted without arguing when asked to by a crowbar. She also owned the car for a year after I replaced the discs and pads, and didn't report any problem during that time (during which it also passed an MoT). If the root cause was that the piston in the caliper had got stuck and bonded the pad to the disc, you'd have expected that to have taken a bite out of the pad as well. In fact the pads looked OK - I only replaced them because the rule book says that you should always replace the pads when replacing the discs and some bloke on Ebay was selling a complete set of both as a package.

Funnily enough I was thinking exactly when I had a quick scan down the list of problems. Complete engine redesign, ok can be forgiven to a degree, but even then you'd think that faults would be shaken out with simulated long term testing. Faults elsewhere - brakes, clutch, should be no incipient faults. Conclusion - crap parts that don't meet required material spec a lot of the time but still get into the system.

thx chaps

fwiw the cars i've been watching on ebay, each of them ending below even apparently lowered reserves

sellers arent letting them go though, probably can understand that when another dealer is asking nearly double,

makes me scratch my head, those dealers asking 6k for a car similar to one that just failed to get above 2.8k at auction with a lower mileage, wouldnt appear they have a hope in hell but probably someone does come along + pay double just because its a dealer

Our works pool car is a 05 plate Almera. I can honestly say it is the worst car (frightening at times) I have ever driven. Its become a running joke in the office. The thing handles like a bouncy castle in a thunderstorm! and changing gear feels like you've had to send a telegraph down to the engine room. It does seem to be perfectly reliable though.

Personally ive got an equally boring sounding mazda 323, just as reliable but handles beautifully with plenty of power available at all times. Im bias, but you can get some seriously good mazdas for the money your looking to spend.

{Edit for spelling}

If you want a boring non descript car get a toyota.

Which are bullet proof in my experience. Never had a break down yet (touch wood).....

OP - I would go for a Toyota Avensis of the same era - extremely reliable & economical. Forget all the cabby snipes - why do you think Cabbies like em so much - reliability, low cost, economy.

buy a manual one. An old CVT is nuttier than buying an Audi multitronic gearbox.

I'd by a manual 1.8 in pensioner spec with manual AND a perfect service history backed up by receipts and calling previous owners. FOr each retirement mobile, another one will have been on the airport run all the time. Interior quality means it's easily clocked...

the top spec have rear view cameras and nav, but they are are relatively old in terms of their display, so nothing worth paying extra for......

Our works pool car is a 05 plate Almera. I can honestly say it is the worst car (frightening at times) I have ever driven. Its become a running joke in the office. The thing handles like a bouncy castle in a thunderstorm! and changing gear feels like you've had to send a telegraph down to the engine room.

that is funny, you should write reviews for auto express or someone! ok i'm not going to get an almera, thats not the first time i've heard it handles poorly. the OLD 90s almeras were apparently the good or better ones, apparently

Which are bullet proof in my experience. Never had a break down yet (touch wood).....

OP - I would go for a Toyota Avensis of the same era - extremely reliable & economical. Forget all the cabby snipes - why do you think Cabbies like em so much - reliability, low cost, economy.

a lot of cabbies do indeed have avensii (plural!?) locally too - i had a look at one, not inspired inside or out, but will keep an open mind.

buy a manual one. An old CVT is nuttier than buying an Audi multitronic gearbox.

I'd by a manual 1.8 in pensioner spec with manual AND a perfect service history backed up by receipts and calling previous owners. FOr each retirement mobile, another one will have been on the airport run all the time. Interior quality means it's easily clocked...

the top spec have rear view cameras and nav, but they are are relatively old in terms of their display, so nothing worth paying extra for......

some of the cvt are sluggish i know, good point there on the clocking, at the moment i really only want an auto though - thats the problem

some of the cvt are sluggish i know, good point there on the clocking, at the moment i really only want an auto though - thats the problem

go test an accord 2.0i auto or if you are not worried about economy, a 2.4 auto. They are a revelation compared to the Nissan and Toyota. And fewer hidden minicabs out there as well. Japanese built in the 2003 on iteration. Excellent, excellent older car......

Archived