House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Roman Abramovitch

Council Tax Hike Next Spring

The current cost of policing as a result of terrorist alerts must be costing a small fortune.

Guess who will foot the bill?

I have my own theories but anyone out there any ideas on the knock-on effect on already declining house prices.

I don't think many of the FTB sheep rushing to buy have given coucil tax a second thought

The current cost of policing as a result of terrorist alerts must be costing a small fortune.

I have my own theories but anyone out there any ideas on the knock-on effect on already declining house prices.

I don't think many of the FTB sheep rushing to buy have given coucil tax a second thought

Probably going up by nearly 10% anyway regardless.

Wait till rebanding hits.

An extra £500,000 a day so they said on TV today.

Having said that when the attacks did happen, my mate who's a copper said they didn't get anybody in on overtime as they couldn't afford it. The increase in policing is pretty much pen pushing coppers who are normally sitting behind a desk, out on the beat.

An extra £500,000 a day so they said on TV today.

Having said that when the attacks did happen, my mate who's a copper said they didn't get anybody in on overtime as they couldn't afford it. The increase in policing is pretty much pen pushing coppers who are normally sitting behind a desk, out on the beat.

When figures like these are quoted, quite often they've just allocated normal spends to the particular job i.e. there's not an addition £500k being spent. If gilf is correct, and they've just re-allocated duties, then effectively it's cost nothing.

It always makes me laugh when someone at work who's been on a 3 day financial course tries to tell you it costs £15 to send a letter - it doesn't, it costs about 29p.

If gilf is correct, and they've just re-allocated duties, then effectively it's cost nothing.

But they'd never want anyone to know that. Just imagine the public outcry if they realised that we could have large numbers of 'bobbies on the beat' all over the country... with _ZERO_ extra cost?

Not to mention that, at least for some of us, the council tax is paid by the landlord and included in the rent.

So it goes from:

rent including council tax

to:

mortgage _PLUS_ council tax.

I don't even have any idea what the council tax charge is on the place I rent.

Cycling around London it's clear that the Met has really scraped the bottom of the barrel to get the apparent number of police on the streets up.

Never have I seen so many spotty 14-yr-old cops, fat blokes straining the seams of their uniforms, old men and women with 'community support' tabards, random police with "Vice Unit" fluorescent jackets (seen outside Oval station).

I'm not complaining - I bet everyone with any connection to the Met and a uniform in the cupboard has been told to get out on the streets. I bet they didn't anticipate that when they joined.

A bit like all the "weekend Warriors" who didn't expect to be sent into an active war zone when they joined the TA.

Cycling around London it's clear that the Met has really scraped the bottom of the barrel to get the apparent number of police on the streets up.

Never have I seen so many spotty 14-yr-old cops, fat blokes straining the seams of their uniforms, old men and women with 'community support' tabards, random police with "Vice Unit" fluorescent jackets (seen outside Oval station).

I'm not complaining - I bet everyone with any connection to the Met and a uniform in the cupboard has been told to get out on the streets. I bet they didn't anticipate that when they joined.

A bit like all the "weekend Warriors" who didn't expect to be sent into an active war zone when they joined the TA.

It will be intersting to see what happens to the general level of crime with police actually on the streets!

Maybe there will be a silver lining.