House Price Crash Forum

Is An H P I Or Similar Check The Only Way To Find Out If A Car's Salvage?

loginandtonic

HOLA441
HOLA442

is it only an hpi type check that reveals this or is it anywhere on the V5 etc?

On V5c sometimes it is stamped Cat C or D, from main dealers I've seen but this is not universal!, just stump up the £5 it costs for a HPI check. Ask them they cannot lie to you if they do you have right of refund!.

For private sellers it is different though.

BUT if the number plate starts with a Q avoid it like the plague.

HOLA443

On V5c sometimes it is stamped Cat C or D, from main dealers I've seen but this is not universal!, just stump up the £5 it costs for a HPI check.

BUT if the number plate starts with a Q avoid it like the plague.

thx ken, which one's a fiver? i know the textcheck one for £3 but i'd like one on the pc screen that i can read through. hpi is usually north of 20 quid. i used to be able to get them free from a motoring club but never took advantage of it as back then wasnt buying any cars, ironically enough.

HOLA444

thx ken, which one's a fiver? i know the textcheck one for £3 but i'd like one on the pc screen that i can read through. hpi is usually north of 20 quid. i used to be able to get them free from a motoring club but never took advantage of it as back then wasnt buying any cars, ironically enough.

RAC used to do them, or you do what everybody else does go onto a bikers / car forum and ask as people usually buy the 1 for £5 3 for £10 or 5 for £20 ones, the forum I am sometimes gives them away for free by people who buy the £20 for 5 types.

HOLA445

RAC used to do them, or you do what everybody else does go onto a bikers / car forum and ask as people usually buy the 1 for £5 3 for £10 or 5 for £20 ones, the forum I am sometimes gives them away for free by people who buy the £20 for 5 types.

good stuff, cheers

Archived