House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Vivaldo

Boe Mpc 100th Meeting

0.5% cut? The MPC might all get p***** when celebrating their 100th meeting :o  and make a shock move.

90% chance of a .25%

Saw an analyst this am saying that, to kick start the UK housing market and general economy, interest rates may have to drop to 3% !!

90% chance of a .25%

Saw an analyst this am saying that, to kick start the UK housing market and general economy, interest rates may have to drop to 3% !!

IF they dropped to 3% I might just jump onto the housing market - savings wouldn't be F*** all. Nah boll**** I'll stay where I am :rolleyes:

90% chance of a .25%

Did you ask the 'analyst' how us having base rates below the States would work? These idiots seem to let basic common sense out the window when they talk about base rates. Base Rates of 3% now - let alone when US rates have reached 4% - would mean a massive devaluation of sterling and a large increase in inflation as, even allowing for the partial decouple of the Yuan, our imports are largely effectively priced in US dollars.

Did you ask the 'analyst' how us having base rates below the States would work? These idiots seem to let basic common sense out the window when they talk about base rates. Base Rates of 3% now - let alone when US rates have reached 4% - would mean a massive devaluation of sterling and a large increase in inflation as, even allowing for the partial decouple of the Yuan, our imports are largely effectively priced in US dollars.

Personally I can't really see 3% but wouldn't be surprised to see 3.75% next year - and yes, that would see a devaluation of the Pound (unless the ECB cut their rates which seems unlikely). However, the Pound is slightly overvalued at the moment with rates as high as they are and I'm told a fair rate for the Pound versus the Euro is +2% (i.e. with the ECB rates at 2% our own rate should be 4%).

You seem more concerned with Dollar/Pound but I think we trade and compete more with Europe these days and see the Euro/Pound rate as being equally important myself.

Guest Time 2 raise Interest Rates

:D Sky News. Economist Tamara Henderson, Re 0.25 rate cut.

"We see this more as a fine-tuning of monetary policy and NOT the beginning of an

easing cycle. IN FACT, THE BASE RATE COULD WELL BE PUT BACK TO 4.75% AS

SOON AS FEBRUARY," she said. :P:P

90% chance of a .25%

I take it you're a psychiatric nurse or such like and this guy's one of your patients.

:D

Possibly in the same ward as TTRTR. :D

Edited by Time 2 raise Interest Rates

Guest Charlie The Tramp
"We see this more as a fine-tuning of monetary policy and NOT the beginning of an

easing cycle.  IN FACT, THE BASE RATE COULD WELL BE PUT BACK TO 4.75% AS

SOON AS FEBRUARY," she said.   

Beg to disagree, if they do cut rates on Thursday they will be back up November.

Deep down inside IMHO the majority of the MPC really would like not to cut rates at all. It`s only self interested p***s like Sir Digby who want them cut. The retailers have had their bonuses and must now go back to basic wages. <_<

oh , 100th meeting , very interesting indeed. Very rare that these guys surprise , would expect the unexpected if is 100th meeting.

I just taken a £2 on a 0.25 rise at 600-1, would make my day in more than one way if happened :lol:

better than a lottery ticket if ask me :rolleyes:

Hey TTRTR , if your running a book id like to back "no change".  Betfair are only offering 5.6 ...would you like to offer me higher for a small bet ?

:D I think TTRTR has got a bit nervous, and closed his book. :D

Perhaps Cilla Black should present the MPC decision just to add a little showbiz to the occasion SURRRRPRISE SURRRPRISE. Or perhaps Gordon Brown could do a puppet / muppet show featuring the members of the MPC.

Look, they are not going to cut rates, forget it. They won't put them up either. If they do they are going to get a hammering from one side or the other, they will sit on the fence till they fall off and thats not now, another 3 months I think.

I would, if the vote hadn't been so close last time. Unfortunately there's no way to tell whether they voted to cut because they really wanted to based on the economic conditions, or voted to cut because buses and tubes were blowing up.

No chance of that - they're all talk on this site!

No 5.3 are crap odds. I'll stick to the 8.4 I got last week and the 7.2 from yesterday.

Oh and the 260 I got for a 0.25% rise (not likely but worth the gamble for those odds).

Well look here, less than a day to go before the IR announcement and the headlines are :-

Service sector strength casts doubt on rate cut

The last significant economic data released before tomorrow’s interest rate decision indicates that the crucial service sector is in better shape than expected.

The data casts some doubt on whether the Bank of England’s Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) will decide to cut interest rates when it meets tomorrow.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/...1719504,00.html

So its not quite as predictable as everyone thought.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: