House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bear Goggles

Hollowed-out Economy

Polish answer bus driver shortage

Would anyone else here drive a bus for £7.50 per hour.... Thought not!

Stagecoach UK bus service performance director Bob Montgomery claimed the company was offering attractive pay and conditions packages to encourage people to become bus drivers.

Well, obvioulsy not or you wouldn't need to recruit people from Poland.

My question is this.

Does no one want to do this job because they would prefer to sit on their backsides while their house goes up in value? Or do they not want to do these jobs because you can't afford to live in this country on £7.50 per hour?

My question is this.

Does no one want to do this job because they would prefer to sit on their backsides while their house goes up in value? Or do they not want to do these jobs because you can't afford to live in this country on £7.50 per hour?

my brother tried it and its an authoritarian nightmare best suited to people coming from ex-communist countries who are used to obeying orders. or more likely are just so piss poor that they will do any old shite for the money.

welcome to the 3rd world at home folks.

Guest rigsby II

Its happened for ages.

Irish dug the roads and built the railways.

West Indians came over and drove the buses after WWII. They worked in hospitals and lunatic asylums.

Pakistanis and the rest worked in the cotton mills.

Its all part of the wonderful harmonious multi-cultural society that we live in that brings a much more rich diversity to this country.

islam1.gif

post-1727-1123060444_thumb.jpg

Its all part of the wonderful harmonious multi-cultural society that we live in that brings a much more rich diversity to this country.

islam1.gif

rigsby , not sure if you are being ironic , its hard to tell on here.

but wether you are or arent too many english folk forget that the english started it all by invading these countries in the first place. and they invaded them to make money for joint stock companies and for no other reason, the British East India Company was the first joint stock company in the world and made healthy profits using a semi-private army which had backing from the state/king/queen of the time.

of course while they were there killing Indians by the 100,000s (no exaggeration) in staged battles which were nothing better than slaughters (think of Fallujah) they also destroyed the native textile manufacturing industry to protect the one back home. in the future INdia ould only be allowed to provide raw materials for manchester cotton mills.

as if killing them like flies and then destroying their native industries deliberately wasnt enough they also set about to reform their morals and values and make them more westernised and civilised.

suttee - bride burning - was one such pratice the brits set about to outlaw and htere was much hand wringing in the liberal and tory press of the time about the barbaric ways of the indians and our attempts to civilise them and bring them democracy.

all the time we were butchering them and ruining their livelihoods.

if you think nothing has changed between then and now thats because you are right.

nothing HAS changed. after all what is 200 years in the scheme of things ?

as if killing them like flies and then destroying their native industries deliberately wasnt enough they also set about to reform their morals and values and make them more westernised and civilised.

So you think it was a _bad_ thing to stop the practice of burning alive people's wives?

The reality is that many of the Indian princes welcomed and supported British occupation because they gained access to technologies far more advanced than they had at the time. I'm not convinced that the empire was a force for good overall, but it certainly was nowhere near as bad as many of the other European empires... had Britain not occupied India in that time period, they'd almost certainly have been taken over by another empire that would have been far, far worse.

So you think it was a _bad_ thing to stop the practice of burning alive people's wives?

Outlawing suttee and other practices (a good thing for sure) was used as justification 'after the fact' for the brutal invasion of India and slaughter of 100,000s of Indians. Far more Indians were killed by the English themselves than were ever saved by outlawing these practices but the very fact they had outlawed these absurd practices served the English as justification for their behaviour in India.,

Just as the removal of Saddam seems to satisfy so many lack-wits today (Guardian readers, Sun readers , Times readers etc etc ad nauseam) and excuse the horrendous brutality of the invasion of Iraq -and even bloodier aftermath .

The reasons the English cooked up 'a posteriori' (after the fact) didnt justify the invasion of India then and most certainly dont justify the invasion of Iraq now.

l.

Edited by privatefraser

So you'd prefer that India was invaded by another country far more brutal, instead?

Trying to apply 20th century morality to our ancestors hundreds of years ago is stupid. The simple fact is that _some_ empire was going to take over India... there's absolutely no way a country as low-tech as India was at that time could have prevented that. Compared to most of the others, the British empire was relatively benign.

So you'd prefer that India was invaded by another country far more brutal, instead?

what a bizarre argument.

Would you prefer your father and mother were killed by an axe murderer or by a sex fiend ?

If that sounds absurd - and it is - it is no more absurd than what you have just said,.

what about Iraq ? Is it a good job we invaded it instead of China or Russia for example ?

I am mortified I am stooping to this level of debate.

Guest rigsby II
Compared to most of the others, the British empire was relatively benign.

And actually very successful too...

Unlike Scotland's attempt at Empire in the Darien fiasco/bubble/con trick ...

http://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/Scotl...arienScheme.htm

"They struggled ashore and renamed the land Caledonia, with its capital New Edinburgh. The first task was to dig graves for the dead pioneers. The situation grew worse because of a lack of food and attacks from hostile Spaniards. Seven months after arriving, 400 Scots were dead. The rest were emaciated and yellow with fever. They decided to abandon the scheme."

And we "nicked" all their North Sea Oil too :)

And you smug twats seriously wonder why there are suicide bombers ?

At least there are still some decent Tories left . Thinking of the shadow Attorney General who rubbished the nonsense being spouted by Hazel Blears ( no one decent is left in the Labour Party.)

The nonsense of Blears and Jonathan Freedland and the Guardian etc etc ad nauseam is quite tame compared to the nonsense being spouted by Empire apologists here.

I sincerely hope one day very soon I can leave this place for ever and then watch with glee as it disintegrates (and it will ) under one authoritarian and incompetent govenrment after another.

No point saying its all Labour's fault or its all the Tories fault. The fact is no matter which party is in power you get shite governemnt,

Thats because you deserve shite government as you have given the world shite government for centuries and are now attempting to force it on Iraq for the 3rd time in 80 years.,

Thats another thing you are completely ignorant of - your own history.

</rant>

:-)

Edited by privatefraser

what a bizarre argument.

Are you seriously claiming that India could have remained independent at a time when European empires were spreading to every lesser-developed nation on the planet?

Are you really, actually, claiming that?

If so, I suggest you go read some history books rather than just repeat standard lefty rhetoric.

The only choice was British empire or some other empire. Which empire would you prefer to have ruled India?

what about Iraq ? Is it a good job we invaded it instead of China or Russia for example ?

No, because no-one other than America (or possibly Iran) had any interest in invading. America is the only major imperial power right now, most of the rest of the world learnt their lesson the last time.

And, frankly, the American empire is far more bloodthirsty than the British Empire was. At least we were competent administrators of colonial nations.

Thats because you deserve shite government as you have given the world shite government for centuries

Like Rhodesia, for example? Are you seriously claiming that British rule in Rhodesia was 'shite' compared to Zimbabwe ruled by Mugabe?

Edited by MarkG

Are you seriously claiming that India could have remained independent at a time when European empires were spreading to every lesser-developed nation on the planet?

Are you seriously using this playground argument in a forum being read by adults - albeit lack-wit English ones for the most part.

It contains a classic logical fallacy which I shall not even attempt to point out as you can google it for yourself in about 30 seconds.

My question is this.

There are plenty of people on benefits that want to do these jobs but can't at those wages (the take home pay being less than net benefits). If market forces so loved by the current goverment were allowed to cause wage inflation in this part of the economy they would attract employees. Don't get sold the line that increased costs have to be passed on to the customer its usually rubbish, these companie's are profitable. A wage that pulls people of benefits also reduces the tax burdon on other people.

The CBI is one of those organisations that promotes the interests of companie's that want to reduce labour costs by importing foreighn labour. This labour can work for a lot less, they have no fixed costs here. The situation leaves our resident populace fighting for a living wage while foreign labour takes the money out of the country, this results in no discernable benefit to the whole economy.

Wage deflation is a serious threat to the economy because it reduces liquidity (total disposable income).

Remember this; this is now UK plc, a business. The current goverment worships the totally free movement of capital, people and goods, a nightmare totally capalist country is emerging and you may be its next victim.

Edited by deano

Are you seriously using this playground argument in a forum being read by adults

If anyone's using 'playground arguments', it's the person who keeps refusing to answer a very simple question.

a nightmare totally capalist country is emerging

I wish. Were this a 'totally capitalist country', they'd have to sack 90+% of the government and return most of the freedoms that have been stolen from us over the last century or so.

In reality we're heading for a future that's mercantilist at best and fascist at worst.

Edited by MarkG

If anyone's using 'playground arguments', it's the person who keeps refusing to answer a very simple question.

your question is : "Should we have invaded India and enslaved its people and killed 100,000s

or should we have stood back and let Germany or France invade it and enslave its people and kill

100,000s."

Why should I answer such a nonsensical question ?

The invasion of India was a crime of the highest order and you should be sorry it ever happened.

You should not be looking back it with rose-tinted specs and patting yourselves on the back and using it as

an example for how you should rule places like Iraq. should you ?

Private Fraser, are you having a bad hair day or something?

Believe it or not this site is called housepricecrash. Not lets argue about the rights or wrongs of Britain's imperialist past.

You refer to us as smug twats. Anyone disagreeing with your opinion as nonsensical or using a playground argument. You keep refeering to "you" meaning us, and we should all be be sorry for what happened hundreds of years ago.

Just what is your point? This forum is for balanced sensible debate. You seem like an educated person. Is it beyond your intellect to listen to someone else's point of view without coming across as an obnoxious moron?

The invasion of India was a crime of the highest order and you should be sorry it ever happened.

You should not be looking back it with rose-tinted specs and patting yourselves on the back and using it as

an example for how you should rule places like Iraq. should you ?

You can definitely question "what if" scenarios, but few in India seem to harbour a grudge to Britain for the Empire, despite its numerous crimes and English literature and culture is still respected there. This is not something you will find in Korea with respect to the Japanese, whose colonial rule ended before ours in India.

My "what if" would be if it had succumbed to communism, as in Russia and China. A not unlikely scenario. Looking at every other country to have been forced into that positon, the death toll would have run into millions and the country scared for decades. By comparison, British rule would appear benign.

Maybe Saddam should have asked the questions you ask before he invaded Kuwait!

You are such conceited *****ers the English.

"Everyone loves us" you seem to think .

Even those you raped and pillaged and tortured grudgingly admire you , you think .

Ive got news . Your victims hate your ******ing guts,

And 7/7 is just the beginning.,

What was it GW Moron said ? Was it BRING IT ON ?

Well its being brought on so I hope you all enjoy it.

There are plenty of people on benefits that want to do these jobs but can't at those wages (the take home pay being less than net benefits).  If market forces so loved by the current goverment were allowed to cause wage inflation in this part of the economy they would attract employees.  Don't get sold the line that increased costs have to be passed on to the customer its usually rubbish, these companie's are profitable.  A wage that pulls people of benefits also reduces the tax burdon on other people.

The CBI is one of those organisations that promotes the interests of companie's that want to reduce labour costs by importing foreighn labour.  This labour can work for a lot less, they have no fixed costs here.  The situation leaves our resident populace fighting for a living wage while foreign labour takes the money out of the country, this results in no discernable benefit to the whole economy.

Wage deflation is a serious threat to the economy because it reduces liquidity (total disposable income).

Remember this; this is now UK plc, a business.  The current goverment worships the totally free movement of capital, people and goods, a nightmare totally capalist country is emerging and you may be its next victim.

Without wanting to get into the debate about whether empire was a good/bad thing.

I'd like to say that during the 1950s when we invited west indians over to drive the busses, one of the reasons was because lots of the people that did the crappy jobs at that time were dead! (ironically in a war that started after Hilter invaded Poland)

Now it seems all of the people that do crappy jobs are on benefits. Progress?

I think there's a message in there somewhere, but I don't know what it is :huh:

The current goverment worships the totally free movement of capital, people and goods, a nightmare totally capalist country is emerging and you may be its next victim.

allied to a communistic control in the social sphere and you have the worst govt this country has ever seen, and its seen some bad ones..

but you deserve it for believing deep down that the empire was a great wheeze and the Indians loved being enslaved by the English and that the Iraqis want nothing better than to be ruled by Whitehall.

so you deserve to be shafted all the way to hell and back.

as for me ill continue signing on and working on the side and praying for a house price crash so you can all feel some retribution for what you did to Iraq.

your deserts are on their way from the serving gantry.

It's the UK penchant for looking on the bright side of life.. The stiff upper lip..

Should Marky-Mark ever be the victim of a mugging.. He will be grateful to the mugger as well.. "He could have murdered him as well".. In fact using that reasoning you should be grateful Mark-G that you have a home, labor gov... etc etc.. "The absolute right or wrong of the matter is irrelevant".. I imagine.. It could be far worse.. B)

privatefraser.. dont worry about it.. I pondered the fact that other day.. How does a country get rich without being productive.. Answer... enslave others.. and get them to work for you.. directly or by proxy.. Yep thats the bad news HPC'ers.. UK/US propperity can be maintained for some time to come as they will live of the rising wealth of countries which they dominate financially.. Example.. HSBC stated this week that 80% of its profits come from outside fo the UK.. Yes.. Time will tell.. But it will be a long time before chickens come home to roost (IF indeed at that point they should be allowed to)..

p.s. sorry about the "..."'s.. ;)

Up here in Newcastle upon Tyne I use Arriva bus services and the drivers on my route are all Polish. Recently over heard a conversation between the driver and his instructor where the Polish driver basically said he was sharing a two bedroom flat with seven other drivers!

Also, at my place of work they recently contracted out the cleaning so we get a new cleaner, she is young, very attractive and Polish! She also works double the number of hours when compared to the person previously employed and probably on half the money!

It's slavery and I find the whole situation disgusting!

Wuluf

almost certainly true.

the wealth pours into london from all over the world and the people pour in after it.

if the worlds wealth is ending up in NY or London then the worlds population will try and

move there to get a share of it.

If you look at the huge English presence in mining and oil and agribusiness and land around the globe

it is hard to imagine them ever becoming as poor as those from the countries they dominate financially as you said.

I guess the retribution will come in a very nasty form.

You can only dish out global punishments on a huge scale for so long before you get some blowback.

Up here in Newcastle upon Tyne I use Arriva bus services and the drivers on my route are all Polish. Recently over heard a conversation between the driver and his instructor where the Polish driver basically said he was sharing a two bedroom flat with seven other drivers!

Also, at my place of work they recently contracted out the cleaning so we get a new cleaner, she is young, very attractive and Polish!  She also works double the number of hours when compared to the person previously employed and probably on half the money!

It's slavery and I find the whole situation disgusting!

Yeah, we have a Brazilian cleaner, she said she (and friends) had to leave London because the Polish cleaners were under cutting the Brazilians.

Things must be bad in Poland.

When I lived in London, I got a 'mini cab' home after the pub one night and got talking to the Somalian driver. He worked nights and rented a bed for 12 hours (£40 per week) he had to leave the house by 10pm cos the other bloke who shared his bed needed to sleep in it until the next morning, when he could sleep in it again. (I'm guessing they were illegal imigrants) It was cheaper than a black cab though!

It's grim, but probably better than living in war torn poverty.

It's grim, but probably better than living in war torn poverty.

which we europeans probably had a hand in stirring up in the first place ( in our search for profits.)

Ulster - English created mess

Israel/ Palestine - English created mess

Iraq - US/English created mess

Kashmir - English created mess

Sri Lanka - English didnt help

Cyprus - theres a big mess there and guess whos involved ?

Iran - they would like to create a mess there and may yet get away with it having meddled in Iran

very recently.

I wont even bother going on to Africa/

b