House Price Crash Forum

What's Your Favourite Smell ?

monty1080

Guest X-QUORK

The inside of an old aircraft? I like that, I was in a Dragon Rapide not too long ago and the smell in there was quality, a mix of leather and aviation fuel. Brilliant,

There was one of those at our local aerodrome (Wellesbourne) when the Vulcan was doing it's ground runs. It looks like you sit at a hell of a steep angle until that rear oleo lifts off the deck.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is in Solyanka ?

Cubed organic beef (best is silverside) ,

Cubed organic ham

Proper Russian sausage.

Small cubes of chicken

Picked in Salt Mushrooms

Sometimes some Omul (salmon like fish)

Skinned and dried tomatoes

Finely chopped shallots

Chives.

A few capers picked ones are best.

Parsely

Some secret spice of some kind (not MSG)

Dill

And fresh cream, which is cooked in a proper meat broth

You cut them into half centermeter cubes or thinner slices

You then use some beef broth (proper broth ie leg of beef in a pot simmered for days) which is thinned down to a almost jelly like texture, then you add all the ingredients above, and heat slowly for an hour or so.

Then you slowly mix in some home made mayonaise and fresh cream, and reduce it to about 80% of the amount, the smell while it does this is heavenly. And you get a tomato looking sort of soup which is salty from the meat but also sweet from all the meat. Serve with fresh black bread and it is excellent.

There was one of those at our local aerodrome (Wellesbourne) when the Vulcan was doing it's ground runs. It looks like you sit at a hell of a steep angle until that rear oleo lifts off the deck.

Yes it was quite an angle, you were leaning well back in your seat.

The one thing that struck me were the seats in it, they were like those rickety old school chairs that you used to get in classrooms back in the day.

Loved it though, I'd give my back teeth to go up in a B17 but I'd have to go to the States for that.

Another smell thats just crossed my mind (and nasal passages) Mulled Wine. Lovely.

Another smell thats just crossed my mind (and nasal passages) Mulled Wine. Lovely.

Don't, I could really fancy one just now. Horrible cold wet night outside - just right for a warming Christmassy snifter.

I'll add the smell of Christmas puds when I'm mixing them up - all those spices mingling with orange and lemon zest and good old ale.

Don't, I could really fancy one just now. Horrible cold wet night outside - just right for a warming Christmassy snifter.

I'll add the smell of Christmas puds when I'm mixing them up - all those spices mingling with orange and lemon zest and good old ale.

Christmas does have some nice smells. Mulled wine, whisky, candles and especially tangerines.

Christmas does have some nice smells. Mulled wine, whisky, candles and especially tangerines.

Tangerines ditto, only ever had them at Christmas as kids.

A smell that's Christmassy only in this house is Brasso - you're allowed to larf.

We have a big old Zanzibari chest largely covered with decorative brass and copper. It only ever gets polished just before Christmas, but then it does look lovely. Ditto the two brass Arab coffee pots that sit on top, and the battered old copper pot I put the poinsettias in.

We've had the chest well over 25 years but inside it still smells of spices.

Archived