House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
crock

What's You're Gut Feeling ?

Put aside all the statistics and what you've read / heard !

In a nut shell / one liner - where is the economy heading ?

There is a point to this question - replies first !

My one liner.... "It's in / heading for recession."

Firstly a definition of recession from answers.com

Why;

"In" because manufacturing already is... yes it's a smaller part of the economy that is was in the past (or should be now in my opinion)... see The Times article Domestic decline sends industry into recession

THE recession in manufacturing appears to be persisting into the second half of the year , according to the first snapshot of industry activity that will further cement expectations of an interest rate cut this week.

"Heading for" because as consumer spending continues to dry up (we can't all live the high life for ever can we), the service sectors are very likely to be hit very hard too... which being a greater proportion of the economy will have more impact the current manufacturing recession.

It is difficult to remember what I felt a few months ago before viewing the HPC site. I think my gut feeling brought me here for more information.

....Something feels wrong with house prices...it does not seem sustainable

....People are spending a lot, (money they do not have?)....smells of trouble

NOW my gut tells me

.....Economy/housing was on the edge, now it is rolling down a mountain like a very small snowball, but growing.

Sorry not quite 1 line, i tried my best :)

Gut feeling - the economy is in trouble. Big Big trouble.

Record debt, manufacturing in recession, people have stopped spending and unemployment starting to rise.

My guess is that a Japanese style deflation is looming large on the horizon. Be scared...

I am! :o

Falling house prices leading to rising unemployent leading to falling house prices leading to rising unemployment leading to either inflation or deflation (the only unknown unknown)

Guest Bart of Darkness

Down, sadly. Deeper and down.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

I don`t like gut feelings, too many in the past which have materialised.

Very worried now as I can see in two years time:

1. 2 plus million official unemployed.

2. Repossessions higher than the last crash.

3. Personal bankruptcies hitting the roof and subject to a commons select commitee enquiry.

4. A strong possiblity of stagflation due to global problems.

5. The most frightening of all Gordon Brown as Prime Minister and Ed Balls as Chancellor. :(

Guest tenant super

Gordon the clowns managed to keep up appearances with his juggling act all the way to the apex of the big wheel* but it's becoming unmanageable on the way back down to earth.

*If The Big Wheel is the economic cycle his economic data must be [the] balls.

Guest uberstuka

I'll add my opinion via the medium of song:

"Bones, sinking like stones,

All that we fought for,

Homes, places we’ve grown,

All of us are done for"

...... down. It will end somewhere not very nice.... nasty depression and complete wipeout of many people.

...... down. It will end somewhere not very nice....

I think that we're heading for an economic crisis of some description. It could be partly tied in with a spike in the oil price, or perhaps the foreign currency markes going haywire, causing drastic decisions on Interest Rates.

Really don't know... but one can't help feeling that this is the calm before the storm. :blink:

Complete and utter mismanagement by the Chancellor etc etc.

The UK economy can be likened to an elevator with a lunatic at the controls.

I have been hammering away for some time now..........watch the price of oil rise,the knock-on effects are rather inflationary.

I am a self-confessed bear and going short on just about everything at present.

My gut feeling?

We're just starting to head into a recession, which will last a few years before confidence slowly returns. Houses will return to being a good long-term investment and not a load of overpriced shite ready to catch out the unwary.

The damage these next few years do could be very unpleasant though. Remember last Christmas, where people just weren't shopping? I suspect this one could be a killer for many high street shops because I suspect sentiment is currently turning very very sour.

Of course I could be completely wrong :D

I think we need to conced that it may well be another year or two before the economy deteriorates. Govt spending will continue to prop things up until then. Which is not to say things couldnt go wrong before then, but I think in 2 years time, if the private sector via exports and investments doesnt pick things up, the capacity of 1) Govt via borrowing; 2) Consumer via borrowing, will no longer be an option to stimulate the economy.

It will be interesting to see what effect lowering interest rates has.

Do enough damage to real economy and bury enough people in unaffordable liabilties it won't be a recession we will be having and there won't be a swift recovery to wipe away the debt.

Look at the roaring 20's and see what uncontrolled speculation and living for today on borrowed money did for the US economy.

overall, pretty good. very stable economy. no more boom or bust type stuff. low taxes. good housing. good wages. pleasant city night atmostphere. good standards in food and public transports a dream.

A Treasury spokesman said: "All our plans are fully costed and affordable and we will continue to meet our fiscal rules.

Liar, Gordon just had to reverse engineer his rules to stop breaking them.

Crooks the lot of them.