House Price Crash Forum

Restaurant On Top Of Stupid Tower (Swansea)

Snugglybear

HOLA441

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_west/8394152.stm

"A five-star restaurant with panoramic views over the Bristol Channel, Gower Peninsula and Brecon Beacons is to open in a 29-storey tower in Swansea.

The Penthouse restaurant is on the top three floors of the Meridian Tower. The £70m building, in the city's maritime quarter, is the tallest residential accommodation in Wales. Work on the 123 apartments in the block was held up in April due to a dispute between the developers and builders, but this has since been resolved. At 90m (300ft), the tower, the tallest in Wales, has became a landmark on the city's skyline. It forms part of the city's £1bn SA1 waterfront redevelopment. The restaurant offers diners 360° views over Swansea Bay and the Mumbles out to Gower and across the Bristol Channel and over to the beacons.

Owner Peter Way said he hoped the restaurant would provide customers with an 'escapism' that will 'set our restaurant apart'."

I'm taking bets on how long Mr Way stays in business.

Although it might be worth eating there on the same principle as that applied by William Morris to the Eiffel Tower - it'll be the only place in Swansea you won't be able to see Stupid Tower from. The 'escapism' in question being escaping from having to look at the monstrosity.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

"A five-star restaurant with panoramic views over the Bristol Channel, Gower Peninsula and Brecon Beacons is to open in a 29-storey tower in Swansea.

The Penthouse restaurant is on the top three floors of the Meridian Tower. The £70m building, in the city's maritime quarter, is the tallest residential accommodation in Wales. Work on the 123 apartments in the block was held up in April due to a dispute between the developers and builders, but this has since been resolved. At 90m (300ft), the tower, the tallest in Wales, has became a landmark on the city's skyline. It forms part of the city's £1bn SA1 waterfront redevelopment. The restaurant offers diners 360° views over Swansea Bay and the Mumbles out to Gower and across the Bristol Channel and over to the beacons.

Owner Peter Way said he hoped the restaurant would provide customers with an 'escapism' that will 'set our restaurant apart'."

Although it might be worth eating there on the same principle as that applied by William Morris to the Eiffel Tower - it'll be the only place in Swansea you won't be able to see Stupid Tower from. The 'escapism' in question being escaping from having to look at the monstrosity.

the restaurant has created sixty jobs. how many jobs have you created in swansea ?

meridian quay attracted £70 million investment into swansea. how much money have you attracted into swansea ?

no one will be forced to go there. so if you don't like the restaurant then don't go there.

if you don't like swansea then move away.

all these moaners and whingers in swansea are a pain in the neck.

why don't people support businesses and developments instead of slagging everything off or just clear off somewhere else.

HOLA443
HOLA444

the restaurant has created sixty jobs. how many jobs have you created in swansea ?

meridian quay attracted £70 million investment into swansea. how much money have you attracted into swansea ?

no one will be forced to go there. so if you don't like the restaurant then don't go there.

if you don't like swansea then move away.

all these moaners and whingers in swansea are a pain in the neck.

why don't people support businesses and developments instead of slagging everything off or just clear off somewhere else.

Well SWA or is that Way? We are more than happy to support any enterprise that provides a service but more importantly pays it's bill.

HOLA445
HOLA446

I couldnt find any information about the menus at the Penthouse, no website either so checked out the reviews on his other place in Mumbles. This is what I found....

http://www.mumbles.co.uk/Restaurants/showRestaurant.php?rID=3000003

Well I hope Peter Way has employed some better chef's than the ones at Darcy's otherwise who would go back a second time and pay good money for the standard of food and service described by the reviewer!

I reckon most people are intelligent enough to see through the bxxxxxxt and wont give it a second chance!

HOLA447
HOLA448

Darcys is hopeless since Sam Thomas left (698)

Patricks food is boiled in a bag, forget the term - Sous Vied I think.

PAs is reliable if not inspiring.

G&Ts is OK.

Swansea is not a great place to eat a the moment, I really don't mind spending if it buys quality but I'm not confident that Peter Way can provide.

I'd love the tower cafe to be brilliant but I douby it will be.

I wonder if those who have posted would be the type of consumer who would even be a potential customer for this type of place?

No offence intended and, Marty, I know that you probably will try it out. It just occours to me that thre is some jealousy at work here.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

I went for a meal in the Post Office tower when I was a kid- shut because of the IRA- so why don't they reopen it now?

Heard mixed reasons - people becoming sea-sick or should that be air-sick plus the cost of rotating the restaurant. I believe it has now re-opened but is onyl use by BT for corporate stuff.

HOLA4411

Darcys is hopeless since Sam Thomas left (698)

Patricks food is boiled in a bag, forget the term - Sous Vied I think.

PAs is reliable if not inspiring.

G&Ts is OK.

Swansea is not a great place to eat a the moment, I really don't mind spending if it buys quality but I'm not confident that Peter Way can provide.

I'd love the tower cafe to be brilliant but I douby it will be.

I wonder if those who have posted would be the type of consumer who would even be a potential customer for this type of place?

No offence intended and, Marty, I know that you probably will try it out. It just occours to me that thre is some jealousy at work here.

HOLA4412

Im the same as you Nice at Home - really don't mind spending if you get the quality. :)

I just do my research on a place first and listen to other customers experiences and the reputation that it develops under a particular owner. I was always a regular at 698 myself but have heard so many negative reports about Darcy'sand seen the poor reviews on the web that i just wouldn't consider going there. Most people I know who have been there have found it expensive and without fail say all they wouldn't go back.

Morgans was good to begin with then became a bit boring going for mass appeal

So where can you get really good fresh crab in Swansea - we need more local seafood places here instead of sending it all to the French!

HOLA4413

Im the same as you Nice at Home - really don't mind spending if you get the quality. :)

I just do my research on a place first and listen to other customers experiences and the reputation that it develops under a particular owner. I was always a regular at 698 myself but have heard so many negative reports about Darcy'sand seen the poor reviews on the web that i just wouldn't consider going there. Most people I know who have been there have found it expensive and without fail say all they wouldn't go back.

Morgans was good to begin with then became a bit boring going for mass appeal

So where can you get really good fresh crab in Swansea - we need more local seafood places here instead of sending it all to the French!

Stephanie & Didier's is still very good if you like French, but apart from that there is nowhere springs to mind. Mind you no13 is great for lunch.You are right Morgans used to be good but now it's just like eating in the refectory at school. Dingy, dark,and the food is very dated.

I don't go to Mumbles anymore, I haven't had a good meal in there for ages.

I really want to try the Penthouse mainly for the view but when you phone they cannot tell you when it will be fully open.

Niceathome, did you try the Bluebird on your last trip to London?

Edited by marty

HOLA4414

Stephanie & Didier's is still very good if you like French, but apart from that there is nowhere springs to mind. Mind you no13 is great for lunch.You are right Morgans used to be good but now it's just like eating in the refectory at school. Dingy, dark,and the food is very dated.

I really want to try the Penthouse mainly for the view but when you phone they cannot tell you when it will be fully open.

Thanks for the tip on No 13 Marty - looks interesting and will try it out. Let us know what the foods like if you do manage to get up to the Penthouse

HOLA4415

I went for a meal in the Post Office tower when I was a kid- shut because of the IRA- so why don't they reopen it now?

The BT tower now holds a ton of mobile phone masts

Apart from frying your brain - they would have to search everyone for mobiles - using a phone that close to so many base stations would cause the system to overload.

HOLA4416

The BT tower now holds a ton of mobile phone masts

Apart from frying your brain - they would have to search everyone for mobiles - using a phone that close to so many base stations would cause the system to overload.

A serious question, if I use my mobile very, very close to a base station or even a repeater will it cause me harm?

Regards

HOLA4417

A serious question, if I use my mobile very, very close to a base station or even a repeater will it cause me harm?

Regards

There is a story which you will hear in telecomms/IT circles of an engineer who got too close to a base station and who was found dead.

He looked healthy apparently but, inside, he was cooked like a cooked chicken.

HOLA4418

There is a story which you will hear in telecomms/IT circles of an engineer who got too close to a base station and who was found dead.

He looked healthy apparently but, inside, he was cooked like a cooked chicken.

Are they microwave related?

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

No I didn't.

I had to head East on the second day and, foolishly, booked a hotel in Greenwich What a pain in the ****! By the time I drove out there I really couldn't be bothered with going out to eat so used the hotel instead.

Things changed last week at work and I'll only need to visit 2 London sites in future so I'll try and cut down drastically on my overnighters in Town and make use of the train.

I still reckon hat this tower will be a novel place to eat, although the height of it will give my Missus vertigo. Is there an outside balcony?

HOLA4421

This is THE place to eat in Swansea. Peter and the head chef Mark have succeeded in achieving a fantastic environment to spend an evening. Being on the marina the Penthouse @ Meridian Quay seems to be exclusive and away from the busier areas of Swansea. The adult entertainment issue raised is to satisfy weddings etc that may be catered for, commonplace amongst such establishments. This is EXACTLY what Swansea needs, Well done Peter.

HOLA4422

This is THE place to eat in Swansea. Peter and the head chef Mark have succeeded in achieving a fantastic environment to spend an evening. Being on the marina the Penthouse @ Meridian Quay seems to be exclusive and away from the busier areas of Swansea. The adult entertainment issue raised is to satisfy weddings etc that may be catered for, commonplace amongst such establishments. This is EXACTLY what Swansea needs, Well done Peter.

Adult entertainment at weddings :huh: Really ??? What sort of adult entertainment is so commonplace at weddings then?

I've never come across an exclusive fine dining establishment with adult entertainment before Lol! Perhaps its the etc. bit that you skipped over that will be more likely ..... whatever etc. means .......... :rolleyes:

HOLA4423

Adult entertainment at weddings :huh: Really ??? What sort of adult entertainment is so commonplace at weddings then?

I've never come across an exclusive fine dining establishment with adult entertainment before Lol! Perhaps its the etc. bit that you skipped over that will be more likely ..... whatever etc. means .......... :rolleyes:

Well I have to admit I’ve been wrong about anything derogatory I posted about the Penthouse Restaurant.

Went there for lunch today, the place is spectacular. The views are incredible, the food is very good and the service which was a bit rustic was supervised very smoothly by an experienced restaurant manager.

Not to sure what it would be like on a foul weather day, but the place today was bathed in sunshine and certainly blossomed.

It seems that all 3 lifts service the 28th floor, the lobby is quite impressive and I have a feeling that the adult entertainment will be similar to white tie boxing intro’s as I can see this place being a big corporate venue.

Why not try it? You can just have a coffee or a drink in the bar and see for yourself? You don’t have to have a meal. The menu at the moment is soft so not much choice but I had the chicken and mushroom pie which was delicious.

We will definitely make it a regular port of call, much better than the Parilla where we have been going.

HOLA4424

Well I have to admit I’ve been wrong about anything derogatory I posted about the Penthouse Restaurant.

Went there for lunch today, the place is spectacular. The views are incredible, the food is very good and the service which was a bit rustic was supervised very smoothly by an experienced restaurant manager.

Not to sure what it would be like on a foul weather day, but the place today was bathed in sunshine and certainly blossomed.

It seems that all 3 lifts service the 28th floor, the lobby is quite impressive and I have a feeling that the adult entertainment will be similar to white tie boxing intro’s as I can see this place being a big corporate venue.

Why not try it? You can just have a coffee or a drink in the bar and see for yourself? You don’t have to have a meal. The menu at the moment is soft so not much choice but I had the chicken and mushroom pie which was delicious.

We will definitely make it a regular port of call, much better than the Parilla where we have been going.

Ball park figures for prices - food and drink?

HOLA4425

Ball park figures for prices - food and drink?

2 coffees = £3.50

2 large house dry wine = £11

Soup = £5.50

Chicken and mushroom pie & spuds = £11

This was off the evening menu because they hadn't got their lunchtimes organised.

When they get organised they say there will be a lunch time menu with average price £5.50 - £7.50

It's about the same as most restaurants in town.

Just go for a coffee and take in the view you don't have to eat.

There is a bar on the 27 floor, a restaurant and sort of bar/coffee shop on the 28th floor and then some sort of VIP area above that. We had a look round but stayed on the 28th floor.

The decor is a bit garish but the view is to die for. I would prefer to go at lunch time because of the view out to sea. In the evening it will be pretty dark!!