House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fancypants

The New Orthodoxy

a teensy bit anecdotal, but I am beginning to notice the increasing prevalence of conversations concerning debt, repossession and the generally poor state of the economy. Obviously one cannot help but eavesdrop with a sense of vindication, but I think that it is indisputable now that the cat is out of the bag. Not all of these people can be users of this site surely?

I suspect that, rather like the stock market crash of 2000-03, that the increasing reach of marketing & media (and consequent homogenisation of Joe Public's thought processes and attitudes) would explain why the booms are getting bigger, and the resulting busts will also be larger.

On a slight aside, I was out with the girlfriend's family last night, to celebrate her mother's birthday. Her 18yr old brother has recently got himself into a spot of bother because of his illicit business activities (a drug dealer somewhere near the bottom of the narcotics pyramid). We confronted him with the bleak reality of his future if he pursued this as a career, and he replied that he did not intend to do it for long as he hoped to go legit soon and wanted to make £x,000s through... wait for it... property development.

How I laughed.

Is this how they all started out? Clearly there is a parallel between the two activities... exploiting a widespread lust for consumption through shady practises, all the while putting in a minimum of effort for maximum returns. Oh, not forgetting the multifarious risks.

The main difference being that drugs don't tend to price themselves out of the market

not intend to do it for long as he hoped to go legit soon and wanted to make £x,000s through... wait for it... property development.

god damn the pusher man.

My brother had a Landlord in Dublin who was a scumbag. plain and simple. the kind of guy who would threaten to break your legs if you were behind with your rent.

Oh How I laughed when I read that the bampot (called Ingram) had ben banged up for cocaine dealing .

FP, you know what you have to do. If the boy's father won't deal out the discipline, you have to. Threaten to grass him up to the law, and if that doesn't work get yourself and your mates to give him a good kicking. What a little gobshite. And he wants to go into proeprty development? That certainly deserves a kick in the balls.

When he wakes up the next day drive down to a college and get him a trade, please...

FP, you know what you have to do. If the boy's father won't deal out the discipline, you have to. Threaten to grass him up to the law, and if that doesn't work get yourself and your mates to give him a good kicking. What a little gobshite. And he wants to go into proeprty development? That certainly deserves a kick in the balls.

When he wakes up the next day drive down to a college and get him a trade, please...

you know what... that's oddly similar to what is actually going on! What he does with his life is his business, but when he started to put my g/f and her family at risk I had to take steps. His Dad is in the States now, but he's getting shipped out there for a few weeks boot camp and hopefully will turn over a new leaf when he gets back. But I'm not betting my life on it just yet.

We did discuss this last night, he hates the idea of having no cash basically. I tried to explain that if he carries on, he'll have less than nothing by the time he gets to my age.

It's a perfect demonstration of the "want it? then have it NOW" attitude that is sadly so pervasive at the moment. Weaning them off it is going to be almost as traumatic for us as it is for them.

you know what... that's oddly similar to what is actually going on!

:D:D:D Good for you!

It can be done. My parents are now getting on much better with my sister than when they first "turned off the taps", as it were. Sis is now in regular employment, and readying to go back and finish her degree. Praise the Lord! What a relief, I was scared she was going to bankrupt herself.

Yes, it is hard sticking to your guns, but it pays off in the end. Don't give up! Steep learning curves usually mean lessons, while painful, are well learnt.

:D  :D  :D  Good for you!

It can be done. My parents are now getting on much better with my sister than when they first "turned off the taps", as it were. Sis is now in regular employment, and readying to go back and finish her degree. Praise the Lord! What a relief, I was scared she was going to bankrupt herself.

Yes, it is hard sticking to your guns, but it pays off in the end. Don't give up! Steep learning curves usually mean lessons, while painful, are well learnt.

aye, I have to keep reminding myself that it was only ten years ago that I was a similarly slovenly ungrateful parasite...

course, like all reformed characters (eg smokers, students etc) I deeply deeply resent those who still do what I was so painfully weaned off!