House Price Crash Forum

A Story Of British Export Success

dr ray

Should read $80 million

"Iraqis spent $80m on ADE651 bomb detectors described as useless"
"The devices, which consist of little more than a telescopic radio aerial on a black plastic handle, were each sold for the price of a new car and are in use at army and police checkpoints across the bomb-ravaged country. "
"One of the problems we have is that the machine does look a little primitive. We are working on a new model that has flashing lights.
" The US Government says that during tests on a similar device it failed to detect a truck carrying a tonne of TNT when it drove up behind the operator.

It would be funny if so many lives had not been put at risk and lost over this scam.

Link

Edited by dr ray

I don't think the Iraq invasion was primarily about oil or WMDs. I think it was part of a wider plan to topple the islamic regime in neighbouring Iran.

The US and allies were already in Afghanistan and had, for a while, brought some stability. Saddam Hussein was a bother to the US although he had nothing to do with islamic fundamentalism. But the US saw the opportunity to topple Saddam and thus be in control of territory on the eastern as well as western borders of Iran. They also had maritime dominance of the Gulf, so Iran was surrounded on 3 sides.

Oil might have been an added incentive, while maybe it was genuinely believed that Saddam had WMDs, not least because he'd gone out of his way to make the rest of the world think he had them. It's a bit like a man who waves a toy gun at the police and ends up getting shot dead.

Edited by blankster

I don't think the Iraq invasion was primarily about oil or WMDs. I think it was part of a wider plan to topple the islamic regime in neighbouring Iran

Its a wider plot to protect the $ , once Iran gets its bomb it cannot be invaded,

Once it gets nuclear power it can sell more oil

Once china upgrades Irans refining capacity, it can export even more oil in a currency other than US$

Iran does this the USD goes the way of the Zim$

Should read $80 million

One of the problems we have is that the machine does look a little primitive. We are working on a new model that has flashing lights.”

It would be funny if so many lives had not been put at risk and lost over this scam.

Link

I had to read the article just to be sure you were joking about the flashing lights. But you weren't :blink:

Aren't we a bunch of *****

Its a wider plot to protect the $ , once Iran gets its bomb it cannot be invaded,

Once it gets nuclear power it can sell more oil

Once china upgrades Irans refining capacity, it can export even more oil in a currency other than US$

Iran does this the USD goes the way of the Zim$

We should just wipe them from the face of the earth, no point being coy.

The only 'justification' for that would be some appalling W_M_D attack wrecking a US city. (Given desperate times, I hesitate to say the P_T_B would never stoop so low, even if it all happened through blind eyes and unconsciously willed incompetence.)

They might if they convinced themselves they were acting for the greater good <_< Typical Somme general mentality. If Bush was still in i'd give it good odds.

Oil might have been an added incentive, while maybe it was genuinely believed that Saddam had WMDs, not least because he'd gone out of his way to make the rest of the world think he had them. It's a bit like a man who waves a toy gun at the police and ends up getting shot dead.

I think it is a bit more like a man who waves a chair leg at the police claiming its a gun, and ends up getting shot dead. And the forensic examiner who is about to declare that the chair leg is, indeed, a chair leg has a sudden bout of depression and takes his own life.

Nevertheless, I take your point about Iran. I am not looking forward to that war.

The invasion of Iran is inevitable, we need to take their oil and gas just like we needed Iraq's, even though it had the US's own placeman in Saddam Hussein. Just look at the news, you are being softened up for another bout of WMD's. The problem is the US then needs to invade Russia.......................can you see a problem yet?