House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
the_duke_of_hazzard

Retail Recession

I went to Whiteley's of Bayswater last night (a small-ish shopping mall in central London), for the first time in about a year.

I was amazed by how the place had changed. Many units were empty; those that were open had very aggressive sales on, and very few people were there. Has anyone noticed how there's "70% sales" *everywhere*? I was surprised by how much things had changed in a year.

There must be many people in the retail sector losing their jobs at the moment, or about to, which will create a vicious circle, surely?

This report came out in May 2005

Half a million jobs at risk as Britain heads for recession

It warned that 125,000 jobs could be lost in manufacturing, 100,000 in construction and 150,000 in retail.

One in 20 retail stores will close by 2006, it predicted.

Its a frightening read !!!!

http://www.management-issues.com/display_p...esearch&id=2109

I thought it was a bit far fetched and calling it too early , but from what I've seen over the last two months , they're probably not wrong.

:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

Edited by Johnny

This report came out in May 2005

Half a million jobs at risk as Britain heads for recession

It warned that 125,000 jobs could be lost in manufacturing, 100,000 in construction and 150,000 in retail.

One in 20 retail stores will close by 2006, it predicted.

Its a frightening read !!!!

http://www.management-issues.com/display_p...esearch&id=2109

I thought it was a bit far fetched and calling it too early , but from what I've seen over the last two months , they're probably not wrong.

:unsure:  :unsure:  :unsure:  :unsure:  :unsure:

How many jobs were lost in these sectors in the last recession?

According to another economist, John Butler, of HSBC, winning yesterday's election was a "poisoned chalice" for Labour.

I sooooo want Gordon Brown as PM, that t*at should be remembered for wrecking the UK economy. :angry:

Although the report talks about 500,000-650,000 job losses, I'm sure that having already created 1,200,000 new public sector jobs Brown thinks that he can russtle up another 3/4 of a million. ;)

Guest Bart of Darkness
I'm sure that having already created 1,200,000 new public sector jobs Brown thinks that he can russtle up another 3/4 of a million.

I'm sure he'd like to, but the amount of extra taxation required is probably beyond even Crash Gordon.

Guest consa
REALLY? Got a link? Are we psychically linked?

the Topic was removed as it became very abusive, I can verify that CIUW did post virtually the same thing.

If I remember correctly it was with GF after a heavy night on the booze and he didn't go upstairs due to this.

Maybe that might jog a few memories!!

Anyway it doesn't really matter but it is good anecdotal from both of you of the same place.

Guest consa
Yo Dukes - was actually on this forum - must have been when it was working for 20 seconds! :-) heres the link Whiteleys / recession

OK it was here then, knew I had seen it. Was doing my head in trying to find it on **** so assumed it was the one deleted (Never assume :blink: ) :lol:

Guest consa

Never know when it will be useful, seems like lunchtime gets the most hits here, so the next hour is "testing time" for the server here, hope it holds up!! :unsure:

This town, is coming like a ghost town

All the shops have been closed down

This place, is coming like a ghost town

FTB's won't pay no more

too much fighting on the dance floor

This town, is coming like a ghost town

All the shops have been closed down

This place, is coming like a ghost town

FTB's won't pay no more

too much fighting on the dance floor

Do you remember the good old days before the ghost town?

We danced and MEWed, and the music played in-a-de boom town

:)

Edited by Bear Goggles