House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Killer Bunny

Sensational Bbc Online Article

This article has been out a while , but its well worth looking at on a daily basis , you get some additional comments from people on there weekly.

Its a sort of doom forum built into an article.

Guest growl

I agree. It's brilliant just for the personal experiences that people are writing in about. :) I always take into account what I am seeing around me and peoples experiences. Often more true and up to date than many articles by so called experts.

There will be more and more stuff like this appearing in the next year or two.

What's really sad is you guys seem to think it's 'funny' or to be 'enjoyed'.

You know some of the sorry tales in that article could happen to you, even as a renter or homeowner.

If you used your brain to think instead of your wallet you would realise the economy is slowly sliding down the pan and people STILL won't be able to get on the housing ladder when prices fall because they haven't got a job. You could be one of them...

This article (and accompanying messages) is a sad reflection of our times.On one hand you have desperate people talking about dire financial circumstances and on the other, 'wise' people blaming them for their situation.If only we were all so clever.NONE of us is exempt from the current madness, save the lucky people who have actually made a profit worth talking about.My house nearly doubled in value but this was worthless as everything else going up in price just cancelled out the profit.The market is going to be saturated with vastly over-priced houses as soon as a major selling panic starts.That'll be the end of the line for the poor people splashing their cash on huge mortgages they can't afford because so many people seem to think property is such a great investment.I agree with the previous poster - what is so funny about this???

Edited by Homebird

Oh dear. Get off your moral high horse. What's really sad is that the population of this country thinks that crazy increases in the cost of housing are 'beneficial' or to be 'enjoyed'.

You know some of the sorry tales in that article could happen to you, even as a renter or homeowner.

Yes, but most HPCers have a reasonable amount of savings to fall back on, unlike MEW-ed out plastic-happy homeowner-consumers.

people STILL won't be able to get on the housing ladder when prices fall because they haven't got a job.

Not EVERYONE loses their job in an economic downturn. And most HPCers are better prepared to weather one than most in our savings-short economy.

No stereotyping there zzg113.How do you know the demographics of HPC members?I'm a student, I'm willing to bet there's plenty of other people here in a variety of different financial positions, e.g. no savings, or have the possibility/reality of financial hardship/redundancy looming.I guess people are here for different reasons.

And come on...this country is in LOVE with credit!!Don't tell us no-one here uses credit!!!How did you buy your house?Lottery winnings?

Edited by Homebird

Yes, but most HPCers have a reasonable amount of savings to fall back on, unlike MEW-ed out plastic-happy homeowner-consumers.
And most HPCers are better prepared to weather one than most in our savings-short economy.

I thought HPC has only a few thousand registered members?

Ermm... Aren't there about 60 million people in the UK?

I'm talking about MILLIONS of people out there zzg113 who are going to feel the pinch in the coming economic downturn, both homebuyers and renters. (Not just a few thousand HPCers who you wouldn't even recognise if they passed you in the street).

The people in that article are typically young FTBs who have nothing to MEW. They took crap advice from greedy Financial Planners like the one above and then got into difficulties. They probably use their plastic to stay afloat, not to buy fancy goods.

So what your post says to me is that it's OK to laugh at financial ruin "cos I'm all right Jack".

What I'm saying in this post to you zzg113 is that you are just another HPC Muppet amongst many other HPC Muppets on this website.

(BTW I too am impressed with your insider knowledge of each HPCers financial stability)

Just reading through the responses on the BBC's page, it's clear what a bunch of whingers most people in this country are. I've very little sympathy for any of them: if they are struggling to get by, then they need to re-evaluate their lifestyles, and this includes the choice of whether or not to own your own home. The twit who worked in IT and was forced onto a lower paid job but took out a larger mortgage is a prime example. I'll be glad to buy his house off him from at the auction.

Edited by Van

At the end of the day, usually the only thing that stops stupid people from doing stupid things is a catastrophe that brings them face-to-face with reality. It's sad for individuals, but this country will be far better off with a population who understand economic reality than a population who think they can all get rich by sitting in their houses as they go up in value by 2% a month.

Also, frankly, many of the people getting hit were, I'm sure, gloating about how much they were making for doing nothing when their house price was going up. Those particular people certainly deserve everything they have coming to them.

I agree with zzg113, though I think his delivery was a bit harsh. If you are a member of the merrygoround then whatever you lose on your own place is reflected in the next place you own. No harm done so what are you worried about? If you MEW'd yourself up to the eyeballs, then tough luck...your problem.

If you made a whacking UN-earned profit for the last ten years and are boohooing about the "terrible" loss you made in the last year, then even less sympathy.

If you bought in the last year on a 100% mortgage then some sympathy, but if you will read the Daily Mail every day and believe every word of Location location location what do you expect? The fact that this site and a few others were available and ready to tell you what was going to happen and you chose to be so UN-discerning and believe all the rubbish VI's have told you then that will teach you a lesson.

If you are still unable to afford and are renting then your time will come.

If you are a Sell to Rent-er waiting to become a Bull (but pretending you are not) then you are even worse than current Bulls are because you are waiting to play the same game.....utter contempt for you in the style of zzg113!

If you are like lots of other good folks here and think, beyond your immediate selfish interests, that as a matter of national and international sanity property has become a ludicrous vehicle for insane profiteering and unsustainable inflation then good for you.

VP

Edited by VacantPossession

At the end of the day, usually the only thing that stops stupid people from doing stupid things is a catastrophe that brings them face-to-face with reality. It's sad for individuals, but this country will be far better off with a population who understand economic reality than a population who think they can all get rich by sitting in their houses as they go up in value by 2% a month.

Also, frankly, many of the people getting hit were, I'm sure, gloating about how much they were making for doing nothing when their house price was going up. Those particular people certainly deserve everything they have coming to them.

Yes but the ones who are going to get hurt the most are the ones who haven't had time to gloat or see any growth.

The gloaters and growers will probably survive (unless they MEWed themselves silly in which case even my sympathy starts to run out)

Guest Charlie The Tramp
If you are like lots of other good folks here and think, beyond your immediate selfish interests, that as a matter of national and international sanity property has become a ludicrous vehicle for insane profiteering and unsustainable inflation then good for you.

VP

Well thank you kindly young VacantPossession compliment accepted. :D

I agree with zzg113, though I think his delivery was a bit harsh. If you are a member of the merrygoround then whatever you lose on your own place is reflected in the next place you own. No harm done so what are you worried about? If you MEW'd yourself up to the eyeballs, then tough luck...your problem.

If you made a whacking UN-earned profit for the last ten years and are boohooing about the "terrible" loss you made in the last year, then even less sympathy.

If you bought in the last year on a 100% mortgage then some sympathy, but if you will read the Daily Mail every day what do you expect? The fact that this site and a few others was available and ready to tell you what was going to happen and you chose to be so UN-discerning and believe all the rubbish VI's have told you then that will teach you a lesson.

If you are still unable to afford and are renting then your time will come.

If you are a Sell to Rent-er waiting to become a Bull (but pretending you are not) then you are even worse than current Bulls are because you are waiting to play the same game.....utter contempt for you in the style of zzg113!

VP

Yes but you are venting your feelings towards the wrong people.

Property has become a ludicrous vehicle for insane profiteering for the BANKS and BUILDING SOCIETIES and all their associated sidekicks. The debts owed to them stay the same even if prices collapse. It's a WIN WIN situation for them.

The Govt has relied on the soaring housing market to sustain the economy for the last few years.

And you guys are blaming all this mess on sections of the dopey public?

Yes but the ones who are going to get hurt the most are the ones who haven't had time to gloat or see any growth.

The gloaters and growers will probably survive (unless they MEWed themselves silly in which case even my sympathy starts to run out)

I don't think that's true. Most people shut out of owning a modest and decent roof over their head currently are not going to buy that theory at all. It is true that everyone suffers in a recession, but actually rents are going to fall substantially in line with property prices (they already are). Those already outside the circle are not going to complain about a recession. They are living one already!

In any tired regime vested interest people will always try to scare others into believing that "WE ALL" suffer.

If there is going to be unemployment (and it's going to happen), it will happen anyway. The correction to this vast fantasy world of un-earned income has to draw to a close. It will hit everyone, but those already denied access to a simple roof over their head are not going to complain.

Don't listen to a fallen Bull. He will try to pursuade you that it is in everyone's interest to stop a crash. Bollo%x. It is primarily HIS interest to stop it. The crash is due. It will come soon enough anyway. Let it happen.

VP

Edited by VacantPossession

And you guys are blaming all this mess on sections of the dopey public?

You can't have a debt-fuelled bubble if people refuse to borrow vast sums of money to buy overpriced houses. Look at Japan post-crash...

We need a country where people see houses as a place to live, and not an 'investment'.

Yes but you are venting your feelings towards the wrong people.

Property has become a ludicrous vehicle for insane profiteering for the BANKS and BUILDING SOCIETIES .......etc etc

Hang on there. BS's and Banks aren't forcing us to take on loans. Yes they are culpable in their own way, but if people are so uniformly stupid as to believe the hype what can one do?

What do you suggest.......being followed everywhere by an angel to stop you making "silly" decisions.

It is people's GREED that makes them buy property solely to make a quick buck, not just the lenders "forcing" them.

VP

The twit who worked in IT and was forced onto a lower paid job but took out a larger mortgage is a prime example. I'll be glad to buy his house off him from at the auction.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::)

There will be more and more stuff like this appearing in the next year or two.

If you used your brain to think instead of your wallet you would realise the economy is slowly sliding down the pan and people STILL won't be able to get on the housing ladder when prices fall because they haven't got a job. You could be one of them...

Wap,

I don't find the stories of illness funny, just an indicator of how on a knife edge owning your own place is now.

The guy is lucky he had a second income, and they still have the house.

If a single FTB gets ill, he waves good bye to his equity.

Sad, but such is Thatcher's Britain - for it is she who brought in those rules, just after telling us all to go out and buy orur own homes...

I have less sympathy for theose made redundant - home ownership should be no immunity, and equity is equity - why should the tax payer pay their mortgage?

These are just the first wave of people who will have problems.

I won't enjoy reading about the people who lied to get a 100% mortgage, or lied to buy off plan at 85%, but told the bank the 100% on the mortgage application.

Those people were greedy, albeit stupid, living beyond their means, and have inflated prices for the more sane of us.

I will really enjoy the tales of people being 'forced' to sell of their BTL portfolios at massive loss - not only have they fanned the flames of HPI with their noise trading, they have also misled alot of other people into adopting the same level of debt.

I feel pretty sore about being locked out of the market by greedy speculators, and they deserve everything they get :D

ABB

Edited by AgeingBabyBoomer

What I'm saying in this post to you zzg113 is that you are just another HPC Muppet amongst many other HPC Muppets on this website.

So if this website is for muppets, what does that make you for reading it? (hint: it begins with M...)

(BTW I too am impressed with your insider knowledge of each HPCers financial stability)

How do you know the demographics of HPC members?

Because there have been many surveys on HPC detailing posters level of income, level of savings, level of education, etc. Of course this was all before WAP rolled onto the scene. :rolleyes:

Guest Charlie The Tramp
Because there have been many surveys on HPC detailing posters level of income, level of savings, level of education, etc.

We`ve been there watched, observed, and learnt since October 2003.

That which was said on this site since then has come to fruition.

Sadly some of the old first class posters seem to have left, maybe they had their say, know what is about to happen and do not wish to go over old ground. :(

Hang on there. BS's and Banks aren't forcing us to take on loans. Yes they are culpable in their own way, but if people are so uniformly stupid as to believe the hype what can one do?

Become a banker would be the cheeky answer.

Seriously though, the last few posts on here do outline a few sections of the dopey public (eg speculators) who don't deserve sympathy so maybe I am wrong to generalise and say "don't blame the dopey public"

So what can one do? This won't be the last boom and bust.

Don't listen to a fallen Bull. He will try to pursuade you that it is in everyone's interest to stop a crash. Bollo%x. It is primarily HIS interest to stop it. The crash is due. It will come soon enough anyway. Let it happen.

I don't know if you are referring to me here VP but I can assure you I have no vested interest in preventing a HPC.

Because there have been many surveys on HPC detailing posters level of income, level of savings, level of education, etc. Of course this was all before WAP rolled onto the scene. :rolleyes:

Exactly. These newbies (tut) they carry on like they own the joint

We`ve been there watched, observed, and learnt since October 2003.

That which was said on this site since then has come to fruition.

Sadly some of the old first class posters seem to have left, maybe they had their say, know what is about to happen and do not wish to go over old ground.  :(

I'm still here :D .

Edited by Buffer Bear