House Price Crash Forum

Darwin's Book Fetches £103K At Auction, Ebay One £30K Unsold

loginandtonic

HOLA441

First edition of this book (note that subsequent editions go for a lot, lot less!)

eBay virtual auction £30K or offer

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DARWIN-ON-THE-ORIGIN-OF-SPECIES-1ST-UK-EDITION-1859_W0QQitemZ310162340619QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Collectables_Scientific_MJ?hash=item48371dbb0b

£103K new record at physical auction (double the previous £60K record in April)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/oxfordshire/8378008.stm

is the condition so much better to merit nearly 4x the price? or is it simply christie's has a clientele which can turn their nose up at things listed on eBay? is there some stigma?

comments welcome

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

World of difference between these two copies. Expensive one is in the original publishers cloth. The cheaper one in a nondescript library style binding. Buyers want a landmark book such as this in as near as possible the condition the first owner received it in upon first purchase. The binding is as much part of the book as the text.

The high value book world is one where a missing dustwrapper on a desirable modern first edition can knock 2/3 or more off the value. People have paid hundreds of pounds simply to get the correct dustwrapper to put on a valuable wrapperless copy of the relevant book. I saw a late low value reprint of Brave New World fetch £80 recently because somebody wanted the famously striking wrapper for their copy of the true first edition.

Huxley%20Brave%20New%20World%20White500.jpg

post-12677-12591756267004_thumb.jpg

HOLA447

I have had a glance at the ebay photos and listing. I am sure the seller would have it sent to a regular auction in a sniff if he thought he could get anything like 100k for it. I should start getting out to jumble sales again ;)

'Bible you say? Millions of 'em about! Printed by some bloke called Gutenberg? Well, a quid then'

edited for speeling

HOLA448

World of difference between these two copies. Expensive one is in the original publishers cloth. The cheaper one in a nondescript library style binding. Buyers want a landmark book such as this in as near as possible the condition the first owner received it in upon first purchase. The binding is as much part of the book as the text.

The high value book world is one where a missing dustwrapper on a desirable modern first edition can knock 2/3 or more off the value. People have paid hundreds of pounds simply to get the correct dustwrapper to put on a valuable wrapperless copy of the relevant book. I saw a late low value reprint of Brave New World fetch £80 recently because somebody wanted the famously striking wrapper for their copy of the true first edition.

+ the late low value reprint jacket is acceptable to the owner of a 1st ed? you learn something new every day, thx for that, didnt ever realise before.

I have had a glance at the ebay photos and listing. I am sure the seller would have it sent to a regular auction in a sniff if he thought he could get anything like 100k for it. I should start getting out to jumble sames again ;)

'Bible you say? Millions of 'em about! Printed by some bloke called Gutenberg? Well, a quid then'

i've come across that darwin book, probably a 5th or 6th ed in the past in london + baulked at the £50 they wanted, i think now they are fetching 2 to 400 smackers at even a provincial sale room ! wasnt that long ago either. wonder why the price is going up so fast lately.

the way things are going i'll have to sell my delia smith autographed cookery book!

HOLA449

The lavatory one had its original publishers binding in good nick. The ebay one has an aftermarket binding in really poor condition. That alone might be enough to make up the price difference.

But theres a BBC link on the side to another that sold for 35k in April... at a Norwich auction. Publishers binding too.

Perhaps it is the London factor.

I think it's a shame they didn't just keep it in the lav, I like it when these valuable treasures are out there doing good work in ordinary situations.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Interesting! How knowledgable are you on values of rare first edition books?

Last year Amazon sent me a first edition of a book I had pre-ordered, before the actual publication date. Days later it was withdrawn for 'legal reasons', and a second edition hurriedly created. I managed to get it signed, undedicated, by the author earlier this year who minutes earlier had joked than if anyone had got the first edition 'hang on to it because they are as rare as the first Harry Potter'.

It's no future literary classic, so I wondered if now may be a good time to flog it, or whether it is worth hanging on to.

HOLA4412

Interesting! How knowledgable are you on values of rare first edition books?

Last year Amazon sent me a first edition of a book I had pre-ordered, before the actual publication date. Days later it was withdrawn for 'legal reasons', and a second edition hurriedly created. I managed to get it signed, undedicated, by the author earlier this year who minutes earlier had joked than if anyone had got the first edition 'hang on to it because they are as rare as the first Harry Potter'.

It's no future literary classic, so I wondered if now may be a good time to flog it, or whether it is worth hanging on to.

Depends what it is?

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I imagine the person is important. I am just watching Lenny Henry advertising Premier Inn - not him I hope ?

Not very, (and no not LH). Which is why I'm thinking selling now might be a good idea. Unless there are people who buy books just for their rarity rather than their title and content?

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
Guest Steve Cook

First edition of this book (note that subsequent editions go for a lot, lot less!)

eBay virtual auction £30K or offer

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item48371dbb0b

£103K new record at physical auction (double the previous £60K record in April)

http://news.bbc.co.u...ire/8378008.stm

is the condition so much better to merit nearly 4x the price? or is it simply christie's has a clientele which can turn their nose up at things listed on eBay? is there some stigma?

comments welcome

The reason it went for so much is because it was a first edition of a book that was written by arguably the greatest man that has ever lived

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

If anyone guesses I'll admit to having bought and read this book, but I'm not going to willingly hold myself up for ridicule.

DAVID HASSELHOFF!!!

HOLA4425

Archived