House Price Crash Forum

Cheese!

monty1080

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before coming to Crete I lived in the derbyshire dales near Hartington where the little cheese shop sold Hartington Stilton and my favourite Dovedale Blue,oh wonderful foods...I remember eating a fantastic meal of Venison and various sweetmeats followed by these wonderful cheeses..had the mother of all Angina attacks...what a way to go eh. I now believe the cheese shop has closed down,how sad. I now content myself with greek Feta.

Sorry to break it to you, not only has the shop shut, but the factory has too. Hartington Stilton is no more [sob]. That was where my sublime bit of prize winning Stilton was manufactured [double sob].

I think someone is still doing Dovedale Blue though, I'm sure it's still for sale at my local cheese shop. I'll swap you some for a decent Feta made from unpastuerised sheeps milk, surprisingly hard to get your hands on around here.

Has anyone tried Liverot its a very very strong smelling french cheese..takes some getting used to.. also try Pont L eveque is a aquired taste..

Will make a point of trying the Liverot on our next trip thanks. I seem to remember liking Pont L'Eveque, will have to give that another go.

I can recommend Coeur de Neufchatel, the nearer it is to it's use by date the better IMHO.

Back to the English stuff, I bought some Smelly Apeth today. It's pretty good, but with a name like that I was expecting it to stink a damn site more than it did.

Slices of halloumi fried in olive oil - fab with a fry up. Mature cheddar with cider that melts in the mouth, eaten with a spicy parsnip and apple soup. Sainsbury's Taste The Difference buffalo mozzarella with pesto on corn thins. Grana padano on a smoked salmon risotto. St Helen's farm hard goats cheese with mango chutney on rye bread. Manchego with honey. These are a few of my favourite things.

Slices of halloumi fried in olive oil - fab with a fry up. Mature cheddar with cider that melts in the mouth, eaten with a spicy parsnip and apple soup. Sainsbury's Taste The Difference buffalo mozzarella with pesto on corn thins. Grana padano on a smoked salmon risotto. St Helen's farm hard goats cheese with mango chutney on rye bread. Manchego with honey. These are a few of my favourite things.

That all sounds amazing. I want cheese.

This is the best Cheese I''ve ever had, but hard to get hold of. Only ever had it on a high end cruise ship.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%BCnster_%28cheese%29

This is the best Cheese I''ve ever had, but hard to get hold of. Only ever had it on a high end cruise ship.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%BCnster_%28cheese%29

Not for me it isn't!

Not a patch on Stinking Bishop IMHO, and annoyingly my local cheese shop is stocking the stuff as an alternative because of supply issues with SB.

Archived