House Price Crash Forum

Cheese!

monty1080

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isle of Mull cheddar is super but by far the best has to be Keen's cheddar from Glastonbury - a really mature one with a kind of liquorice taste.

There's another really good place called the Bath cheese company that does lovely soft cheeses.

There are some excellent Irish ones but harder to get in the UK, Ardrahan, Cashel blue and its rarer blue sheeps cousin Crozier blue...

I live in the Welsh borders and we have a lot of good local cheeses here - Y Fenni and Tintern ........

If you go a bit further west Caws Cenarth Perl Las and Perl Wen are an excellent blue and brie type cheese.

http://www.cawscenarth.co.uk/Productrange.htm

And for a cheddar you can not beat Snowdonia's Black Bomber

http://www.snowdoniacheese.co.uk/

I go for stench. This could be in the form of an extremely mature cheddar, stilton or maybe a brie...all left in a warm room for a couple of hours first.

+1 which appals Mr MB, who can't stand anything stronger than Lancashire.

I once managed to get my hands on a piece of the actual Stilton that had won at Nantwich that year, it was sublime. Unfortunately every piece of Stilton I've had since then has been ever so slightly disappointing.

I'm a big fan of Stinking Bishop and St Illtyd too.

The guy who used to play Martin Platt in Coronation Street (Sean Wilson) has started the Saddleworth Cheese Company. They make a blue called Smelly Apeth. It's on the shopping list for my trip to the local cheese shop tomorrow.

For eating unadulterated, then it has to be Suffolk Gold, or a Cornish Garlic Leaf Yarg.

For doing other things with (cheese and spring onion scones, cheese straws etc), then a lovely mature cheddar.

We're so lucky to have a great cheese stall on the market.

Oh! Lets not forget smoked Lincolnshire Poacher... that's good stuff too!

Guest theboltonfury

Just had a soft boiled egg with a decent chunk of Swiss Gruyere for breakfast. The chunk cut so as to facilitate dipping it in the soft yolk.......say no more

You dunk cheese in an egg?

Are my eyes playing tricks on me?

Most blue cheeses so long as they're strong. Saint Agur, stilton, shropshire blue..

Melted on cheese on toast it has to be a cheese that burns. Some just melt and then just bubble but the ones that burn just perfectly once smothered with brown sauce and extra black pepper. Emmenthal is perfect for this.

Weak cheeses (red leicester, cheddar, lancashire) for me are like weak beers, a bit pointless.

I want to try that Stinking Bishop but have never seen it

Interesting...but cheese doesn't bring on nightmares per se, it brings on more dreams, makes them more vivid.

Very true. I am going to have some cheese on toast tonight to test the theory. It does usually end up with some ******ed up dreams though. I don't have any decent strong stuff though. Not a cheese buff. Yet.

I am gallantly responding to X-Q's request.

I went to a lecture on cheese last night, it was specifically on British cheese. It was very enjoyable and I have a new favourite, Isle of Mull Cheddar, simply gorgeous.

Something strong blue and maybe a bit salty, you know like a mans cheese

Medium Cheddar.

Or if I am feeling adventurous ... Red Leicester.

Actually Edam is really nice but that's a bit exotic.

Skinty!

That is so boring, at least pretend you eat it naked in a loch while being spanked...

I would have to go for an extra mature Gouda, really hard Dutch cheese that assaults the taste buds.

On home made pizza I use a mix of Edam, mature cheddar, Red Leicester, mozzarella and Monterey jack

If you go a bit further west Caws Cenarth Perl Las and Perl Wen are an excellent blue and brie type cheese.

http://www.cawscenarth.co.uk/Productrange.htm

And for a cheddar you can not beat Snowdonia's Black Bomber

http://www.snowdoniacheese.co.uk/

You have not eaten real cheese until you try some from this place...

snowdonia cheese

I would recomend the Little Black Bomber

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Have you tried the Green Thunderer, with garlic and horseraddish, also great in home made burgers.

Before coming to Crete I lived in the derbyshire dales near Hartington where the little cheese shop sold Hartington Stilton and my favourite Dovedale Blue,oh wonderful foods...I remember eating a fantastic meal of Venison and various sweetmeats followed by these wonderful cheeses..had the mother of all Angina attacks...what a way to go eh. I now believe the cheese shop has closed down,how sad. I now content myself with greek Feta.

Archived