red

HOLA441
  • Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Looks like we're stuck paying 35 quid every time we go a penny over the overdraft limit.

Widely expected to go against banks but Supreme court rules in their favour.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8376906.stm

No refunds for its customers. Just two fingers.

I'm in the wrong business.

:angry:

Edited by red

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Looks like we're stuck paying 35 quid every time we go a penny over the overdraft limit.

Widely expected to go against banks but high court rules in their favour.

(no link yet, just heard on radio)

:angry:

Sorry, can't sympathise. I'm with the banks on this one. If you don't like your bank's terms&conditions you're free to go elsewhere. I don't want them having to shift the costs of dealing with problem customers onto me, nor do I want them encouraging profligacy with a "doesn't really matter" attitude.

HOLA446

Sorry, can't sympathise. I'm with the banks on this one. If you don't like your bank's terms&conditions you're free to go elsewhere. I don't want them having to shift the costs of dealing with problem customers onto me, nor do I want them encouraging profligacy with a "doesn't really matter" attitude.

Me too.

There's a lot of people who shouldn't have a bank account because they have no concept of how to manage one.

EDIT: If people don't want to pay charges they feel are unfair then they should manage their money better.

Edited by SarahBell

HOLA447
HOLA448

The Lords only charge £10K for newsworthy bribes, the Judge must be £50K+ at least and the bankers

aren't short on cash.

The OFT will be setting up a competition review comission scrutiny board to look at ways of protecting customers

in the future, might be worth seeing what the expenses will be like and if you can get on it.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

So the banks should charge an unfair / inflated amount just to subsidise you?

Nobody would dispute that the banks should be able to charge for any costs they have incurred as a result of their mistake / fecklessness. But £35 for a penny or so overdrawn is just exploitative.

Why can't they just learn how to DECLINE transactions?

HOLA4411

Being an apologist for the banks. You know, the banks who lend irresponsibly then expect to get bailed out by the taxpayer, is a sorry predisposition. If the banks don't want you to go overdrawn, they should prevent you from going overdrawn. It's rather like coaxing a lemming off the edge of a cliff then presenting them with a bill afterwards.

There can be no rational argument for the amount of money that they scam from their least liquid customers - it doesn't cost the bank anything to refuse to pay a direct debit or EFT transaction. It really is that simple.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

The banks are bloodsucking leeches that will stop at nothing to take your money and give it to rich folk like Goodwin. They are also incompetent and bankrupt so cannot afford this payout.

More to the point the taxpayer owns them so now the taxpayers are bloodsucking leeches who will stop at nothing to take your money and give it to err.. the taxpayer :D:D

HOLA4414

They'll do it anyway.

Theyll get their ******ing bit dont worry about that.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Being an apologist for the banks. You know, the banks who lend irresponsibly then expect to get bailed out by the taxpayer, is a sorry predisposition. If the banks don't want you to go overdrawn, they should prevent you from going overdrawn. It's rather like coaxing a lemming off the edge of a cliff then presenting them with a bill afterwards.

There can be no rational argument for the amount of money that they scam from their least liquid customers - it doesn't cost the bank anything to refuse to pay a direct debit or EFT transaction. It really is that simple.

Sorry, this argument has been going on for as long as I can remember.

I got sight of the other side of this as far back as 1985, when I went to work in Germany and opened a bank account there. Having to pay per-transaction charges for simple things like ATM withdrawals demonstrates just how competitive the UK banks are (or were).

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

indeed, they seem to have rule that suits themselves.

I paid for a holiday on a little used card. Silly me, Id set the card to be repaid in full....and forgot about this....I had set up a SO to repay over 6 months before the MSE people chastise me.

course, the next month I get a letter...no phone call on the day, a letter a week later....says they have bounced all my payments from Such and such a date,they have charged me x and were charging £25.00 per go for each bounce.

im puzzled. I go in.

they took the whole holiday payment and paid it as per the DD request. it took me way over my limit.

I asked...Why did you pay the item that was clearly large and clearly not to your own bank, then bounce all the little stuff...which WOULDNT have taken me over.

the unsatisfactory reply was that they HAD to honour requests from other banks.

I showed her the subscription they had bounced...also a DD but only £13.

the excuse was clearly nonsense. they had ALLOWED another bank to take funds from my account to break the conditions they had set in agreement with me.

The worst they should have done was bounce the big payment.

I made a fuss, got them to agree to the refund of all the bouncer charges, the fees for going over, the interest etc. I settled the account immediatley and got them to agree to NEVER do that again.

they subsequently gave me an "emergency" limit, which they think is a good idea if I should Accidently go overdrawn.

Now, if I wasnt in a position to sort the account out, where would I be today. I would STILL be paying monthly fees an charges. If I earned just enought to live on, then the charges would likely take me over budget....rendering my situation worse every month...possibly for years.

and this may not be for an expensive holiday...it could be an employer paying a week late. or a bankers error.

Personllay, if im not happy I go in an sort it. I admit my mistakes. I get them to admit theirs, which, in fairness, they usually do ( Halifax wouldnt in the case of my daughter, but in fairness to them they were a bit strapped and if my student daughters tiny income can be used to help them out a bit in a time of difficulty, im sure they will loof favourably on her when she needs a loan...PHAH!)

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

This was almost certainly going to happen, now that the banking system in the UK is effectively paid for by the taxpayers. The legal system is specifically instructed to minimise costs to the government when making decisions. If the banks had lost, the government would indirectly have had to pay for the result with tax payers money, as most banks concerned would be bust without continued government support anyway.

Banks are complete thieves - A friend of mine wants to transfer over 10k from one HSBC account to another this week. He has to do it in several stages on several days, as their internet banking has a 10k limit per day. He rang them to find out if he could transfer more on one day in anyway, which they confirmed can only be done in a branch, but they would charge £25 to do it - this is not chaps, just an internal transfer between two HSBC accounts!

HOLA4421

As someone who has always managed by money and never paid a penny in bank charges Im glad they won.

The last thing I wanted was to be forced to pay to have a current account because otheres are too stupid to do the same, and think somehow being charged £35 is unfair on them.

A+++

P.S. Shouldnt all those who got their charges back have to repay them now? I think so.

Edited by Johnny Storm

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

As someone who has always managed by money and never paid a penny in bank charges Im glad they won.

The last thing I wanted was to be forced to pay to have a current account because otheres are too stupid to do the same, and think somehow being charged £35 is unfair on them.

A+++

Shouldnt all those who got their charges back have to repay them now? I think so.

Can I still get my wages paid in cash pay packet at the end of the month?

You are quite free to withdraw all your cash each time you are paid. Dont set up any direct debits or standing order and then pay for everything in cash. Whats the problem?

Edited by Johnny Storm

HOLA4425

A+++

P.S. Shouldnt all those who got their charges back have to repay them now? I think so.

+1

I've been with the same bank for 22 yrs and never paid a single penny of penalty or interest charges to them. If you don't have the money in your account then you should not be spending it without their authority. If you do it is theft and you should therefore expect heavy penalty charges.

I am certain that for all of those last 22 years the penalty charge rates have been clearly printed on the back of all my statements so I would clearly know the consequences of going into the red.

Had the banks lost today then I am certain that once again, I would, as someone who is sensible and prudent with my money, soon be bailing out those who aren't.