House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
OnlyMe

Rightmove Listings

From front page.

Rightmove.co.uk has the widest choice of property for sale or for rent.

Over 640,000 houses and flats for sale or for rent in the UK

Either their business is growing rapidly and they are creaming the listings from other sites or supply is still surging, it was 600K about a couple of weeks ago and 550K a couple of months ago (ish).

From front page.

Either their business is growing rapidly and they are creaming the listings from other sites or supply is still surging, it was 600K about a couple of weeks ago and 550K a couple of months ago (ish).

could be a couple of things

sellers having to put their property through more than 1 agent if they are having difficulty shifting it

also more houses coming onto the market compared to those coming off.

it is very difficult to track exactly.

There was a good thread on this a week or two ago.

A poster (can't remember who) has been monitoring Righmove for numbers of properties for sale since January and has found numbers have increased from about 330,000 in Jan to 640,000 currently.

Perhaps someone can find the thread or remembers who started it ?

Nice one, listings nearly doubled then in 6 months.

And I doubt that more than half of that can be explained by an increase in Rightmove's coverage or multiple agents.

A search of recently added properties in my area gives many more results than it did six months ago, too. I guess other Rightmove readers have noticed this too.

Of course, fact that everyone has to look at twice as many pages to view all the properties coming onto the local market will massively increase the website's traffic. Cue the next monthly report from them that the market is about to go into overdrive again... :D

From front page.

Hi!!

I have been keeping an eye on my postcode to see how many listings are on there. I live in Wolverhampton, and the amount of houses in our suburb has gone up from 71 (at the start of May) to now 105. Thats a 47% increase!! Bear in mind we are now approaching the "quiet" time in house buying!!

For many years my local EA website always seemed to have around 40 properties in the 3bed to 4 bed range.

At the start of this year it rose to 90. It is now around 120.

Most of the oversupply is at the bottom end. The number of 4 bed detached properties is close to the usual amount.

Also, the variation in price for similar properties is amazing.

On the same estate there are similar 3 bed properties in the range £134k to £176k.

None are selling.

last week on a trip into town I counted 27 for sale signs before seeing a sold sign.

(then I saw three in a row on a newbuild estate...)

I agree that supply keeps on increasing. Once a month I post in the "what are house prices doing in your area" forum with the latest supply numbers on Rightmove in my target area.

Every month the supply has risen, and in the last 10 days has risen yet again to 811 properties in my area. At the beginning of the year it was around 500.

During the summer I don't see a lot more property selling, so when we get into the winter the EAs are going to get increasingly desperate to shift their stock, and the poor sales performance they will have had over the year will really begin to bite financially.

And when next Spring comes around there's bound to be another flood of property coming on the market.

At that point I think we will start getting to some more serious price cuts. The price cutting I've seen so far only seems to have brought many properties down from a heavily overpriced value to a moderately overpriced value. In other words it's looked like little token gestures here and there.

But supply keeps piling up as buyer's are increasingly getting the message that sellers are on the run and why buy now when you can get it for cheaper next year. I do not see any reason whatsoever why buyers, and especially FTBs will flood back into the market right now.