Stagflation

Ace

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
Guest Charlie The Tramp

Stagflation is a term in macroeconomics used to describe a period of characteristic high inflation combined with economic stagnation, unemployment, or economic recession.

Stagflation is thought to occur when there is an adverse shock (a sudden increase, say in the price of oil) in a country's aggregate supply curve. The effects of rising inflation and unemployment is especially hard to counteract for the central bank. The bank has one of two choices to make, each with negative outcomes. First, the bank can choose to pursue a loose money policy to stimulate the economy and create jobs by increasing the money supply (by lowering interest rates) and exacerbate the inflation problem further. Or second, pursue a tight money policy (by increasing interest rates) to try and rein in inflation at the cost of perhaps increasing unemployment further.

HOLA446
HOLA447
Guest Charlie The Tramp
Either way, we're fvcked.

We're in for a repeat of the 1970's, with two added bonuses

- a massive credit hang over

- a permanent oil shock due to peaking production

batter down the hatches the storm is coming.

Remember the 70s well, strange thing it was not as frightening as today. :(

HOLA448
HOLA449
I distinctly remember discussing stagflation during an Economics lesson at school in the 80's. I seem to recall the teacher saying it was far worse than high inflation.

I also remember my economics teacher in 1985. He was the perfect incarnation of a truck driver (probably converted to teaching by accident).

He stated that demand couldn't be increased by reducing prices which I challenged & was barked down on.

It seems to me now that reduced prices have created a more throw-away society now than existed then and that he was clearly wrong. Reduced price = buy, use & throw = higher demand than expected.

Edited by Time to raise the rents.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Guest Charlie The Tramp
Stagflation is great for HP's.

Remember you heard it from me first Ace!

I agree.

I bought two properties in the seventies at rock bottom prices IMO. The best one a four bed detached chalet house with 60 foot frontage two years old at 17.95k. <_<

Edited by Charlie The Tramp

HOLA4412
I agree.

I bought two properties in the seventies at rock bottom prices IMO. The best one a four bed detached chalet house with 60 foot frontage two years old at 17.95k.  <_<

Average 1970 gold price: £15.03

Gold price now: £244

£17,950 = 1194.3 ounces of gold at 1970 prices.

1194.3 ounces of gold today = £291,409.

It's all inflation. On average, 8.28% per year for 35 years.

Amazing isn't it how governments get away with it.

Buy gold.

HOLA4413
Stagflation is great for HP's.

Only if wages increase. If wage inflation is low then it will be real bad for house prices as people are forced to stop wasting money paying interest on their mortgage and start spending it on important things instead (like petrol at ten pounds a gallon).

And, of course, with Chinese workers willing to do the same jobs for $0.50 an hour, significant wage inflation is a little bit unlikely.

It sure would be amusing to see stagflation _and_ a house price crash simultaneously. Well, it would be amusing if I'm out of the country by the time, anyway.

And if you'd sold at the peak around 1980, it would have been nearly twice that.

Edited by MarkG

HOLA4414
Guest Charlie The Tramp
Only if wages increase. If wage inflation is low then it will be real bad for house prices as people are forced to stop wasting money paying interest on their mortgage and start spending it on important things instead (like petrol at ten pounds a gallon).

And therein is the reason why house prices took a dive or you could say were a bargain IMO during the 70s.

Prices were allowed to rise but wages frozen under the governments so called Prices and Incomes policy. Hence the industrial unrest during that decade.

BTW a neighbour of mine at the time bought his three bed semi at 15% interest on a shelf stackers wages without financial ruin. Albeit his wife did a part-time job. <_<

Edited by Charlie The Tramp

HOLA4415
And if you'd sold at the peak around 1980, it would have been nearly twice that.

Incorrect.

In dollars, the peak was nearly twice as much as todays price.

But sterling was stronger against the dollar in 1980 (2.40) than it is today (1.75).

So the gold price went only briefly over £300, which is only about 20% higher than today.

alert_2005-07-30.gif

HOLA4416
Average 1970 gold price: £15.03

Gold price now: £244

£17,950 = 1194.3 ounces of gold at 1970 prices.

It's all inflation.  On average, 8.28% per year for 35 years.

Amazing isn't it how governments get away with it.

Buy gold.

Umm, excuse me,, did the gold give you an income during your ownership & were you able to borrow to secure that income???

HOLA4417
Umm, excuse me,, did the gold give you an income during your ownership & were you able to borrow to secure that income???

25 years ago was the time to sell gold as it was overvalued. Remember £300 in 1980 were worth much more than £300 today due to inflation.

Gold is now deeply undervalued, underowned and has just broken out of a 25 years downtrend. With inflation picking up and a probable oil shock in the making, now is the time to buy. Like in 1970.

I started buying 3 years ago at just under £200/ounce. It's up more than 20% since. And this is just the beginnig.

HOLA4418

AFAIR the gold price peak was about $850. At 2.4 to the pound, that's about 350.

So the gold price went only briefly over £300, which is only about 20% higher than today.

I hadn't realised quite how high the price of gold had risen... I thought it was still down around 210 pounds an ounce :).

HOLA4419
AFAIR the gold price peak was about $850. At 2.4 to the pound, that's about 350.

I hadn't realised quite how high the price of gold had risen... I thought it was still down around 210 pounds an ounce :).

The price was over £300 for only a handful of days.

Anyway as James Turk wrote, gold looks set to go much higher.

This same guy called the bottom in 1999-2000.