House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CrashIsUnderWay

Anecdotal - Recession In Action

Just been for a walk with the GF to clear our hangovers - we ended up at the Whiteleys shopping center in Bayswater.

We used to go there quite a lot but for some reason havent been there for a while.

We walked in and *bang* - The Ernst&Jones jewelry shop near the entrance had closed - they were clearing it out.

Bang - the Designer clothes emporium had shut after at LEAST 20 years of selling D&G clobber.

Bang - another 4 spaces shut - and this was just the ground floor (we were feeling too fragile to brave the upper floors).

Almost EVERY shop still trading had what appeared to be cloned banners in the windows - "70% off! Massive Sale! Everything must go!!!" kind of garish pink thing.

We were starting to worry that the entire Whitelys center was closing, but I dont think its quite THAT bad yet.

We walked back along Westbourne grove, and *bang* - the designer furniture shop had a 'closing down sale' on 'last 3 days'. Various unnamed chav shops had also closed - u know the kind of thing - cheap phone calls to india etc.

Asbolutely bizarre - it was like "will the last shopper to leave the UK's High St please turn out the lights...."

It's gonna be nasty, folks.. better make sure you ramp up your savings over the next few months!

Guest absolutezero

The shops in the Trafford Centre are starting to display big posters in the windows.

MASSIVE SALE

CLOSING DOWN

EVERYTHING MUST GO

Big chav clothing store "Soccer Sports" was the last one I ntoiced.

I probably go there once a month or so to watch a film and with each passing month there are more of these posters. Not long until the units start to become empty.

People with the money are starting to keep hold of it and those in debt don't have any more money.

This recession is going to be very nasty indeed.

Umm...Soccer Sports....there's one in the town where I live. Fairly sure it has had a closing down sale in its window since the week it opened. Still going strong though.

Think a lot of this is just a way to get feet over the door - whether they're chav feet or not.

Edited by FreeFall

Guest absolutezero

I heard a rumour Soccer Sports were having trouble. If that is true they will be just one of many casualties.