House Price Crash Forum

National Theatre - Wtf?

tomandlu

HOLA441

Tomandlu jr has just read "The War Horse" by Morpurgo, so I thought I'd get a couple of tickets for us to go and see the National Theatre production.... £50 effing quid a ticket! For subsidised theatre. That's basically the same price as tickets for the unsubsidised Lion King.

Now, I mostly like the BBC, and have no objection to state-subsidised arts as a general principle, but the principle is that the state should only subsidise stuff when it's something that couldn't be workable as a profitable private enterprise and/or would be too expensive for most people if run for profit.

Instead, it's like the worst bits of the beeb - our money being used to produce too much of the kind of stuff that the commercial channels can quite easily do.

HOLA442

Tomandlu jr has just read "The War Horse" by Morpurgo, so I thought I'd get a couple of tickets for us to go and see the National Theatre production.... £50 effing quid a ticket! For subsidised theatre. That's basically the same price as tickets for the unsubsidised Lion King.

Now, I mostly like the BBC, and have no objection to state-subsidised arts as a general principle, but the principle is that the state should only subsidise stuff when it's something that couldn't be workable as a profitable private enterprise and/or would be too expensive for most people if run for profit.

Instead, it's like the worst bits of the beeb - our money being used to produce too much of the kind of stuff that the commercial channels can quite easily do.

Oviously you dont understand theatre.

It's never made money and relies on patronage. Ie the quote 'for the love of the theatre, darling'.

HOLA443

Have you seen it yet? Be interested to know if you thought your £50 was well spent. There was a good doc on tv recently about the production of this play.

HOLA444
HOLA445