House Price Crash Forum

Used Automatic Cars - Least Likely To Go Wrong? Any Ideas

loginandtonic

HOLA441
HOLA442

Toyota Landcruiser - Mine is 16 with never a moment's problem.

Honda Civic - not the ones that were a joint production with Rover, though.

Never a Ford - crap - in my old one I had to keep a hammer! [honest, Officer, it's only for hitting the starter motor with when the bendix jams]:ph34r:

BTW, many years ago, Tyne & Wear Fire Brigade decided to use only vans with auto boxes, as they lasted longer than manuals with so many different drivers abusing them. I wonder if that's still the case?

Edit: Landcruiser is actually 17 years old - must have been numerically challenged last night.:huh:

HOLA443
HOLA444

Toyota Landcruiser - Mine is 16 with never a moment's problem.

Honda Civic - not the ones that were a joint production with Rover, though.

Never a Ford - crap - in my old one I had to keep a hammer! [honest, Officer, it's only for hitting the starter motor with when the bendix jams]:ph34r:

BTW, many years ago, Tyne & Wear Fire Brigade decided to use only vans with auto boxes, as they lasted longer than manuals with so many different drivers abusing them. I wonder if that's still the case?

really interesting, thx. 16 years old autobox, that is good!

A Japanese one. Who said deflation is a bad thing.

nissan or toyota probably, then

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

anyone want to stick their neck out + say which car makes have the most reliable auto boxes? which the worst?

i used to have a bmw, autobox packed up at 68000 miles, then got a recon that was still working 6 years later when i sold the car on (didnt have a new torque converter).

197k miles on my '02 VW tiptronic, started slipping in the control phase of the clutch 1.5-2k rpm after 180k, just needed it's ATF changing and still going strong. Look for cars that use ZF gearboxes but avoid the Multitronic CVT. Take the car for a good long test drive to make sure the auto oil is good and hot, if it feels wrong when warm but ok when cold it's probably just the fluid needs changing. Buy a high mileage young car and it's mostly going to be motorway mileage anyway, locked up in top gear, but half the price. Mine feels like a new car and it's got 200k on it.

Try to take someone with a fault code scanner as it can show up lots that won't bring up a warning light on the dash. In fact you can buy one on ebay for £20 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/U380-OBD-2-II-EOBD-OBD2-Fault-Code-Reader-Scanner-UK_W0QQitemZ270328306981QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment?hash=item3ef0d29d25 and check the codes later here http://www.obd-codes.com/

HOLA449
HOLA4410

My last Ford, a Scorpio, did 152,000 miles and I drove it to the garage when I traded it in. It did have a replacement gearbox in that time. I had an old type fiesta with over 100,000 miles on the same engine and gearbox. I would not accept another Renault as a gift.

Ford A4LD box is notorious for going pop! Not big enough for the 6-cylinder Granada/Scopio!

I had one pop at 100,000. The only auto-box I ever had fail! Second Granny I had, was still working at 165,000 when I scrapped the car!

GM, and Toyota are usually fine!

Check the oil is still pink when you buy the car! If it's black, leave it!

HOLA4411
Guest theboltonfury

My last Ford, a Scorpio, did 152,000 miles and I drove it to the garage when I traded it in. It did have a replacement gearbox in that time. I had an old type fiesta with over 100,000 miles on the same engine and gearbox. I would not accept another Renault as a gift.

I have an auto Laguna. Never had even a sniff of a problem in 30,000 miles.

The best autoboxes I have ever had have been in the big jags I've owned. XJSport and XKR.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I have an auto Laguna. Never had even a sniff of a problem in 30,000 miles.

The best autoboxes I have ever had have been in the big jags I've owned. XJSport and XKR.

The auto box on my current X type is very nice to drive, only 82,000 miles on it so far so a bit early to talk about long term reliability.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Are diesel cars more reliable than petrol?

Not in my expereince or that of the people I have known.

Diesels have massive bills for the turbo which seems to go wrong for a pastime and the glow plugs need replacing a lot; plus they eat front tyres and suspension due to the extra weight.

Diesels are a false economy unless you are doing a serious annual mileage or have a really big car. If I bought a 4*4 that would be a diesel but I wouldn't have one otherwise.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

The main area in used Automatics is changing the fluid,

Split 50:50 on sealed units which say not to open them or change the fluid.

Half say you will get 150K+ on an Auto and don't bother you risk it failing shortly afterwards

from changing the fluid

The other half say if you change it you will get 150K for sure and maybe more, and it won't cause

a failure.

My choice was to leave it be for sealed units.

Both sides agree that a fluid change needs to be done in a temperature controlled environment by

someone who knows what they're doing. Also that the fluid is very very very specific to the car

Auto box.

Not a forced flush, or a kwik-fit mechanic with a compressor and a hose to get it done in 10 minutes.

HOLA4421

The main area in used Automatics is changing the fluid,

Split 50:50 on sealed units which say not to open them or change the fluid.

Half say you will get 150K+ on an Auto and don't bother you risk it failing shortly afterwards

from changing the fluid

The other half say if you change it you will get 150K for sure and maybe more, and it won't cause

a failure.

My choice was to leave it be for sealed units.

Both sides agree that a fluid change needs to be done in a temperature controlled environment by

someone who knows what they're doing. Also that the fluid is very very very specific to the car

Auto box.

Not a forced flush, or a kwik-fit mechanic with a compressor and a hose to get it done in 10 minutes.

some mechanics on autoboxes where you top up the fluid dont even know to have the engine on + move the selector about before checking the level, we're talking mechanics who are supposedly 10-20 yrs in the role

HOLA4422

Avoid the Mercedes A-class with an Autobox.

I had one and the box died after 29K miles and as it was just out of warranty Mercedes didn't give a damn.

Had a Toyota Camry and the Autobox died on that at about 100K miles.

Jag XJR box was still going strong when I sold the car at 120K miles.

Currently have a C-Class with just over 50K miles and that seems fine at the moment.

Don't bother with diesels unless you're doing serious mileage.

Archived