House Price Crash Forum

Hey Guys We Now Have A President!

Game_Over

HOLA441
HOLA442

I was watching the simpering sycophants on the Beeb, thrilled as the news leaked out from the smoke-filled back rooms where the boys and girls with the real power horse-traded it out, and wondered when I had moved to China?

I was watching it on auntie pravda too, did you get the bit where they were speculating whether the role was supposed to a 'president' or a 'chairman'?

I guess we shouldn't be too upset at chavs pissing on national war memorials anymore, after all the elite seem to be getting away with it quite happily.:angry:

HOLA443

Apparently the guy has just said he didn't 'seek' the job.

So we now have a President who wasn't even that bothered whether he got the job or not.

What exactly are we doing in Afganistan?

Why are our boys dying out there?

They should be in Brussels defending OUR democracy

:angry:

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
Don't know what to say, I am so angry.

This is just FASCISM - pure and simple.

Why did we fight Napoleon? Why did we fight the Kaiser? Why did we fight Adolf Hitler?

And why do we have a hereditary monarch in this day and age? Come to think of it, why do the Netherlands, Spain, Belgium, Denmark and Sweden have hereditary monarchs as as well. I'm not going to worry myself about an appointed president of the EU while we still live in a monarchy! It would be better if the president of the EU was elected, though.

As for fascism, I think there's more to fascism than having an unelected leader. The head of the United Nations isn't elected and the UN isn't a fascist organisation. And while I support the idea of democracy, that is not infallible either - Adolf Hitler was elected chancellor by the German people in a general election. Only after that did he ban opposition and assume the role of Fuhrer.

Edited by blankster

HOLA448

Something to do with money, wasn't it?

Actually we were defending our democracy and had to save Europe's ass in order to save our own.

When it was all over, we inherited the Earth - pretty much

Interestingly Napoleon imposed the Continental System on Europe, which was an economic blockade of Great Britain - but in the end we prospered and it cost them far more than it cost us.

The parallels with the EU and dire warnings about what would happen if we left are quite striking IMO.

France and Germany have been trying to destroy Great Britain for centuries and they are still trying now.

:blink:

HOLA449
HOLA4410

And why do we have a hereditary monarch in this day and age? Come to thionk of it, why do the Netherlands, Spain, Belgium, Denmark and Sweden have hereditary monarchs as as well. I'm not going to worry myself about an appointed president of the EU while we still live in a monarchy! It would be better if the president of the EU was elected, though.

All countries have a head of state.

And most countries that have a president have had a dictatorship at some point in their history.

If Gordon Brown was now President, I would be very worried about the future of democracy in this country.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

At least he stood for election! Unlike el Presidenti Brown and his sidekick Mandelson.

even my mum and dad, the most staunch BBC believers i know, mentioned how Mandelson reminds them of a certain Austrian corporal.

it's a start

where you been R2K?

HOLA4414

At least he stood for election! Unlike el Presidenti Brown and his sidekick Mandelson.

There's going to be a general election soonish, labour is almost certain to lose, Brown will go, Mandelson might become leader of the opposition, but then all eyes will be watching for the first banana skins to derail Prime Minister Cameron's honeymoon with the electorate! Edited by blankster

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
Guest UK Debt Slave

Don't know what to say, I am so angry.

This is just FASCISM - pure and simple.

Why did we fight Napoleon? Why did we fight the Kaiser? Why did we fight Adolf Hitler?

:angry:

It is beyond surreal

I can't quite believe it has finally happened

Bye bye freedom and democracy, hello tyranny

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

This used to wind me up, then i thought about it:

1. I have long since realised that the UK is no longer a democracy, and possibly being ruled by Europe might just be better than by the tw@ts in Westminster.

2. If I was a politician, and I looked at the average reality-TV-watching, entitlement-hungry, brain dead chav that made up the vast majority of the electorate, I would think it was quite acceptable, possibly beneficial, to deny them a chance to affect the future of the nation or continent.

3. I'm emigrating to canada, so i don't give a cr@p anymore.

HOLA4420

Quite bizarre.

A total sham. It's like a game for them. They mock us.

On Al Beeba Brown makes a big deal of appointing a woman FFS, because she is a woman. Someone plucked from obscurity to operate in the shadows.

Blair waits in the wings, for when the role requires more oomph.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

The Baroness Ashton appointment is a grotesque example of the meritocracy looking after their own.

She has diligently pressed all the right buttons: CND, Stonewall, married well, Health Authority. A good CV.

But never accountable to a constituency. Just worked well with within the dining circle.

And where does Upholland come into it? (Her title) It is near Wigan. When did she last visit?

Smartarses rule, and it is not O.K.

HOLA4424

This used to wind me up, then i thought about it:

1. I have long since realised that the UK is no longer a democracy, and possibly being ruled by Europe might just be better than by the tw@ts in Westminster.

2. If I was a politician, and I looked at the average reality-TV-watching, entitlement-hungry, brain dead chav that made up the vast majority of the electorate, I would think it was quite acceptable, possibly beneficial, to deny them a chance to affect the future of the nation or continent.

3. I'm emigrating to canada, so i don't give a cr@p anymore.

If we accept 1, democracy here really is doomed. We need to fight for changing the electoral system here, to (IMHO of course):

- Remove first past the past (at least to single transferable vote).

- Move power out to regional control.

- Increase and encourage referenda (we have the Internet to vote with now, ffs!).

- Form legislation from the bottom up. If the people want it enough in enough areas, it will bubble to the top. If we don't want it, it will never be elevated high enough.

IIRC, Switzerland works well on a similar principle (bottom up). It would surely give people more influence in policy and it would feel less like a dictatorship.

Edited by Traktion

HOLA4425