Sign in to follow this  
dog

Tax Abusers Of The Week

Tax abuser of the week

Director of Customer Services and Performance

London Borough of Redbridge

Essex

£120k

The Director of Customer Services and Performance will play a critical role in leading this process. We want somebody who can support and add value to the efforts already being made to improve housing, planning and cultural services.

Runners up

Deputy Director

Norfolk County Council

Norfolk

£97k

Working closely with the Director and Deputy Director (Early Years, Schools and Communities), you will provide professional leadership for five Area Directors and inspire the whole team, both inside and outside the Council.

Director of Children's Services

North East Lincolnshire Council

Lincolnshire

£110,000

You will of course be dedicated to achieving the highest standards for the children and young people in North East Lincolnshire and you will also be aware of the dynamics of effectively managing a combined Children's Service.

Chief Executive

The Learning and Skills Development Agency (LSDA)

South London

c.£120,000 plus benefits

We are seeking a Chief Executive to lead LSN through this period of change and growth. LSN has all the resources it needs to establish itself as a leading supplier of educational professional services to the learning and skills sector.

Corporate Director - Adult and Community Services

Hartlepool Borough Council

Yorkshire & Humberside

£105,000

You will provide a clear sense of direction, optimism and purpose within a 600-strong department focusing on the diverse local needs of an historically deprived yet intensely proud local community.

Deputy Director of Services for Children Young People & Families

Cornwall County Council

Cornwall

£79,992 p.a plus benefits

Working closely with the Director and our partners you'll model the future of services for Children, Young People and Families, promoting improvement and best practice, ensuring that every child matters.

I would say anyone with "Deputy Director" in their title is waste of a job. I wonder how many there are!

What I find frightening is not that these jobs exist, it is the fact they exist in every little council across the UK. I am sure a lot of these jobs could be done on a national basis.

I just don't understand how these salaries, for public sector, can be justified.

Surely there are thousands of well qualified people up and down the UK perfectly capable of carrying out these responsibilities and would greatfully and dilligently do it for a third of those figures.

So where does competition come in ?

Why are the salaries so high, why do market forces appear to not play any part in public sector finances ?

I can only summise this:-

It takes one to know one

i.e

The posts are well beyond my own remit and thus, without inside knowledge and experience of the roles in questions, I cannot fully appreciate the scale and difficulty of the positions. In turn the pay off looks incredible to me.

I truly hope this is the case.

Better, is there anyone on this forum who does something similar to these roles ?

I am NOT interested in how much moeny you earn, but I would like to gain some idea of what these jobs entail that justifies the large salary.

Although I'm no longer a UK tax payer (thankfully), it still winds me up to read that so much money is being p!ssed away like this. I'm not sure what's worse…. paying chavs to do nothing, or third-rate people (in my experience, most senior council officials wouldn't get beyond the probation period in real job), such ridiculously high salaries for jobs that should never exist in the first place. I mean 80k in Cornwall for a nothing job, I mean that must be 5x the local average? Ok, if there's money to splash around, which I'm sure there isn't, but a job like that should pay no more than a third of what it's actually paying. It even says +benefits, which will probably add another 10k a year in car/expenses/jollies etc, not to mention future taxpayers being saddled with huge pension entitlements.

The country will be potless before too long. Sh!t, it already is.

Business Week had an excellent article a couple of week's ago about the number of US states that p!ssed money away on public sector jobs during the boom times of the last 20yrs. The worst case scenario was in one city where a public employee could retire on full pension at 55, but carry on working at the same salary.

And as people in the real world know that money doesn't go on trees, the upshot of it is that school budgets are now being slashed 30%

btw, Sorry for turning into Rchard Littlejohn, but you really couldn't make it up.

I'm not sure what's worse…. paying chavs to do nothing, or third-rate people (in my experience, most senior council officials wouldn't get beyond the probation period in real job), such ridiculously high salaries for jobs that should never exist in the first place.

So why are these people so damnably expensive ?

It just doesn't make sense.

What is also upsetting is that, when the economy does falter and the rest of us are muddling through the tough times - created by the mindless consumerism of our peers - will these guys be shown the door in an effort to rebalance the books?

I doubt it, it is exactly these people that make the decisions in the first place. They'll cut back on the key workers instead and use this stick to further marginalise the remainder.

This administration has been described as the most right wing Labour government ever...?

Well, on a local level at least, it smacks more of communism to me.

So why are these people so damnably expensive ?

It just doesn't make sense.

Jobs for the boys, and girls. Just a massive scam, earn a fortune but feel bullet proof from criticism cos they're working for the "good of the country". The ironic thing is though, by the time they've finished paying the salaries there's no money left to actually to provide the services they're supposed to.

Bit like the UN, just an international country club flying round the world on business class. But hey, they help sick kids and stop wars don't they, so you're not allowed to say anything bad about them. Th UN spends the vast majority of its income on salaries and expenses, and is more corrupt than your average African state.

It is the Governments way of redistributing the wealth of the nation (Taxpayers).

The call it social justice, they employ these people based not on merit but on other qualifications such as Ethneticity, Sexual Preference, Disability.

Some may argue this is a good thing.

I think its a waste of taxpayers money and will be stopped come the revolution that is awaiting on our doorsteps. Bring in a recession and these jobs will dissapear overnight and if they didnt, well the consequences would incomprehensible.

Many people are now sick and tired of having to send their entire family out to the treadmill each day just to eek aliving and keep these people in a manner to which they are becoming accustomed.

If you can axe 1/2 of the top officials then it looks like their services were redundant in the first place.

What a waste this country has to carry. I suspect in the long term it can't.

http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/local...vings_drive.php

Top jobs axed at council in £2.4m savings drive

Council leader Lesley Clarke said the council was top heavy, with 24 top managers and only 600 staff under them.

By Margaret Smith

TOP jobs at Wycombe District Council are to be cut, as the council aims to save £2.4million a year.

Two of the four directors' jobs will go, and at the level beneath them, nine or ten of the 19 heads of service face the chop too.

The jobs that remain will change, and the new bosses will be appointed by January. Two cabinet members could also find themselves surplus to requirements.

Can I just add that working within Social Services is a very difficult job, especially children and families. There are terrible things being done to children each and every day that these guys have to desperately sort out without being under media scrutiny and judged when things go wrong.

It can be a very rewarding job, but one that is also very very depressing, stressful and sometimes heartbreaking. Life and death decisions are based on research and indepth work every single day. You think house prices are the be all and end all of things? Try being a child in an abusive household ... now that is real concern and worry.

Although those salaries do seem incredibly high, it is a high paid job because of the kind of work it entails.

Before you shoot me down in flames, I am also a bear and want house prices to crash to the ground, but I stick up for these guys because they never get praised for the work that they do do and they do indeed do a very valuable service.

north/south divide,

I don't think that front line staff, be it in social services/nursing/whatever are really the issue here, the vast majority of these jobs listed are desk jobs or ones so obiously inane that not even a sensible job title could be found for them or are obviously part on the gov. non-jobs creation scheme. If anything it is this that is sucking funds out of some of the services that really are in need of funding.

Corporate Director - Adult and Community Services

Hartlepool Borough Council

Yorkshire & Humberside

£105,000

You will provide a clear sense of direction, optimism and purpose within a 600-strong department focusing on the diverse local needs of an historically deprived yet intensely proud local community.

I'm not sure what's worse £105K for the post or the fact there is a team 600-strong providing these non-services. :unsure:

Mind that is some challenge provide a clear sense of direction, optimism and purpose to such a large number of pointless civil servants.

I'm not sure what's worse £105K for the post or the fact there is a team 600-strong providing these non-services.  :unsure:

Mind that is some challenge provide a clear sense of direction, optimism and purpose to such a large number of pointless civil servants.

For a start, they're not civil servants. And secondly, they're not non services. They're child protection teams and providers of services for vulnerable elderly people. They provide the means of looking after the most vulnerable members of the community in a very deprived area.

These threads are intensely depressing, revealing how many people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

If you're all so competent, why don't you apply for these jobs? Because, as your posts reveal, you have no concept of the responsibility or remit that these people are expected to undertake.

Edited by Bluelady

But sadly the country cannot afford these jobs that Brown keeps creating without raising taxes to pay for them - he's already turned an inherited surplus into a $40billion a year deficit within 7 years - and thats without providing for the gold plated index linked pensions.

For a start, they're not civil servants.  And secondly, they're not non services.  They're child protection teams and providers of services for vulnerable elderly people.  They provide the means of looking after the most vulnerable members of the community in a very deprived area.

These threads are intensely depressing, revealing how many people know the price of everything and the value of nothing. 

If you're all so competent, why don't you apply for these jobs?  Because, as your posts reveal, you have no concept of the responsibility or remit that these people are expected to undertake.

Au contraire

Not all the jobs created in local government are about child protection or making life/death decisions about the elderly. Nor would I dream of deriding the people employed to do those tasks.

The fact is there has been a huge drive on recruitment on non-essential services. Indeed Mrs BTLOptingout recently spent some time temping for one of these local government departments of community wardens. Sure some good activities are fulfilled but there is also huge inefficencies and mis-management. I've had many a report back of the

1) 3.5hr Friday team breakfasts

2) The mis guided/managed warden who spends all day putting tickets on cars as he's not sure what his real job is.

These threads are intensely depressing, revealing how many people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.  If you're all so competent, why don't you apply for these jobs?

The fact of the matter is these services have to be paid for and there is a finite bucket of funds for them. And due to the fact that my tax bills come in at the £30K figure it's probably a good idea that I don't jack it all in and join their ranks as someone has to pay for these "services" and the mis-management of the funds allocated to them.

Thats what i dont get about all this, this silly attitude the government has of trying to cover every angle and make everyone happy despite the fact it cant be afforded. I refuse to believe half of those services are even essential, "Deputy Director", ffs!

I cant wait to move out of this country, Canada here i come!

north/south divide,

I don't think that front line staff, be it in social services/nursing/whatever are really the issue here, the vast majority of these jobs listed are desk jobs or ones so obiously inane that not even a sensible job title could be found for them or are obviously part on the gov. non-jobs creation scheme. If anything it is this that is sucking funds out of some of the services that really are in need of funding.

I made the same point, noting that after they've finished paying grossly inflated salaries the there's often little left in the pot to channel to money where it's needed most.

But as mentioned in this thread, there no infinate supply of money where unlimited funds can be thrown at every problem – it simply doesn't work like that. A government can only collect revenue and redistribute it, but it has to be allocated. By wasting huge amounts on third-raters, it defeats the object.

Obviously there are worthy causes, but then should all the available money go to the most worthy cause? Because if you believe this then most government employees should be fired and the money saved can go to starving kids in Africa.

And if you feel that bad about it and think the government should increase taxes to pay for more worthy causes, then just cut out the inefficient middle man (government) and hand over all your money directly to wherever you think it's most needed. People who bang on about how other people's money should be spent but sit on a pile of cash of full of sh!te.

Bit like that twit Bono. Mr. Charitable but uses a tax loophole in Ireland (aimed at struggling writers/artists) whereby he doesn't pay income tax on his "creative talents". Yep, that'd be the same tax that goes to fund schools and hospitals in Ireland. ie "everyone should give away all their money but no one comes near my massive wad of cash, right."