House Price Crash Forum

Sanity Returning To Used Car Prices Or Seasonal Slump?

loginandtonic

monitoring on fleabay,

prices in sept/oct were crazy

but seeing now they are back down to earth with a bump, as in bidders not bidding ridiculously any more in most cases (ok not all)

am seeing marked price differences on comparable spec, mileage, service history in my watch list - prices seem to be down

given that used cars were in shortage, has it eased, are prices down where you are on the more common cars like Nissan, Peugeot, Ford ?

• 4 weeks later...

dealers might be feeling the pinch as 2 asked me this morning if they can help + one asked for my number, never happened before. normally its cant help you + goodbye.

looks like much of the same cars hanging around at the moment on forecourts,

however a civic i wanted to buy at a dealers in ilford, essex - well priced + sold. i only found out about it on sat. but they might have reduced the price as the photos said october.

just Kidding (its good for morale Richie!)

I pick up cars from the auctions, couple a year and sell em to mates/family

I always go in December as best bargains of the year can be had

NO ONE is interested in buying a new car the week or so before Xmas

and NO ONE has any money anyway

Dealers know it so dont buy either

I managed to pick up an MG few years back in December

Provisional sale about 20% off trade value (peanuts)

Provisional means the seller (usually a major dealer) tries to haggle you up a bit via the auction sales dept

He asked for another £500

I said Niet, he said ok then its yours

If he don't sell it in December , he aint going to sell it until maybe March at earliest before things pick up

Jobs a good un

just Kidding (its good for morale Richie!)

I pick up cars from the auctions, couple a year and sell em to mates/family

I always go in December as best bargains of the year can be had

NO ONE is interested in buying a new car the week or so before Xmas

and NO ONE has any money anyway

Dealers know it so dont buy either

I managed to pick up an MG few years back in December

Provisional sale about 20% off trade value (peanuts)

Provisional means the seller (usually a major dealer) tries to haggle you up a bit via the auction sales dept

He asked for another £500

I said Niet, he said ok then its yours

If he don't sell it in December , he aint going to sell it until maybe March at earliest before things pick up

Jobs a good un

thx, wheres a good car auction in essex then? i know theres one in chelmsford near the parcel force depot, any good?

would prefer one nearer the southend end though. quite like a 3k max japanese.

I'm after a Vw Transporter. The T4 shape. they're seriously over priced, would i find one of these at auction? orare they to old. looking for something like a 51 plate.

you might fight one, try manheim auctions, however to see whats for sale theres a subsciption to pay or go to their showroom + buy a catalogue for £3. you can do a vague search on their website to see which locations have what you want, but no details unless you pay. i think theres also british car auctions. some auctioneers tend to sing-slur the prices so i cant understand what price things are at. i suppose you get used to that lazy pretentious nonsense.

some of the other auction firms with web links seem to have gone as their url is now a generic search page domain holder.

for the models i am seeking, no sales anywhere near me, so useless going to auction + i'm not doing any simulcast buys

bca at least let people look free, see eg http://www.auctionview.co.uk/SaleCatalogue.aspx?branch=2701&date=20091215

btw quite a few fees to pay as a buyer, including but not limited to, typical rough idea...

Hammer Price Buyers Fee

£1000 £211

£2000 £234

£5000 £298

£6000 £318

£8000 £383

£10,000 £460

Archived