House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
AvidFan

Council Tax Re-banding

I apologise if this has been exposed before...

Someone (a house owner) tells me that they have received notification of the planned council-tax re-banding. However, the letter says that the change in council tax band only comes into effect if you move, so effectively the council tax increase (and in most cases, it will be an increase taking into account the new "home improvement / window" tax) will apply to the property as soon as the the new owners move in...

What will that do to the housing market ??? Is this going to cause faster precipitation of the HPC ???

Someone (a house owner) tells me that they have received notification of the planned council-tax re-banding.  However, the letter says that the change in council tax band only comes into effect if you move, so effectively the council tax increase (and in most cases, it will be an increase taking into account the new "home improvement / window" tax) will apply to the property as soon as the the new owners move in...

What will that do to the housing market ???  Is this going to cause faster precipitation of the HPC ???

Let's see now.... Higher running costs incurred for moving house, even if it is the same size as the one you move from. Will that make it more or less attractive to move house. Hmmmm.....

Someone (a house owner) tells me that they have received notification of the planned council-tax re-banding.  However, the letter says that the change in council tax band only comes into effect if you move, so effectively the council tax increase (and in most cases, it will be an increase taking into account the new "home improvement / window" tax) will apply to the property as soon as the the new owners move in...

What will that do to the housing market ???  Is this going to cause faster precipitation of the HPC ???

Youv'e made 2 posts now both based on letters emails that other ppl have recieved trying to get them to stay put and not sell there houses

sure your not a VI your self?

Awooga?

No, an FTB wanting the housing market to crash to the ground and burn, and not get up again until I have enough money to buy my house without a mortgage.

Seriously looking for reasons why this market is staying afloat, and the contents om my two e-mails reflect that. Personally, i can't believe the boom has lasted so long...

Honest opinions wanted on this post in particular. Maybe this is an outer-south-east thing then ?? Or, as one post said, the council pulling the house owners leg.

BTW, I quote other poeple because I don't own a place myself, and don't get the houseowner's viewpoint very often. I think it's interesting to see what signs they are reading that everything is going to be okay and what their brains decide to remember as important and quote, and the signs I/we read that everything's not going to be okay...

The person concerned lives in Winchester BTW. Maybe someone else can confirm Winchester inhabitants are getting this council tax deal ?

Ok I googled this and a found:

"It will also use data submitted to the Stamp Office from purchasers's solicitors, along with information from local authority planning permissions and building controls to see if added rooms or other extensions have increased the value. Such extensions are not taken into account while a property stays in the ownership of the person who commissioned them - except in a national revaluation process. This means that people who have done major work, such as adding rooms, are more likely to go up a band now."

So it seems they will revalued. they just aren't at the momment until the national revaluation takes place

Ok I googled this and a found:

"It will also use data submitted to the Stamp Office from purchasers's solicitors, along with information from local authority planning permissions and building controls to see if added rooms or other extensions have increased the value. Such extensions are not taken into account while a property stays in the ownership of the person who commissioned them - except in a national revaluation process. This means that people who have done major work, such as adding rooms, are more likely to go up a band now."

So it seems they will revalued. they just aren't at the momment until the national revaluation takes place

Mystery solved. This guy was adamant that ANY rebanding wouldn't affect him. See how people believe what they want to believe, and defend their position with it??