House Price Crash Forum

Thinking Of Converting My 1.6 Petrol Ford

PopGun

Anyone done this before?

Could do with some advice on upfront/hidden costs, feasibility, maintenance/servicing demands, impact on performance and most important of all, is it worth it?

Any help/input appreicated.

A little more information would be good.

CNG or LPG?

CNG I don't know much about.

LPG works well in some engines, not in others. The payback time is quite long in small-engined vehicles.

Buy one that's already adapted, preferably a factory job because then you'll know they've fitted the harder valves etc. There are a few about.

Maintenance is minimal on the LPG side, but you must maintain the engine, as if it's not running sweetly it will like LPG even less.

I'd definitely buy another LPG car, but I wouldn't convert a 1.6 Ford.

I think one of the Korean brands is bringing out an LPG hybrid soon, now that should be cheap to run.

A little more information would be good.

CNG or LPG?

CNG I don't know much about.

LPG works well in some engines, not in others. The payback time is quite long in small-engined vehicles.

Buy one that's already adapted, preferably a factory job because then you'll know they've fitted the harder valves etc. There are a few about.

Maintenance is minimal on the LPG side, but you must maintain the engine, as if it's not running sweetly it will like LPG even less.

I'd definitely buy another LPG car, but I wouldn't convert a 1.6 Ford.

I think one of the Korean brands is bringing out an LPG hybrid soon, now that should be cheap to run.

LPG, there's at least 3 petrol stations offering top ups nearby, however it would be a pain the backside checking for stations on long trips.

LPG, there's at least 3 petrol stations offering top ups nearby, however it would be a pain the backside checking for stations on long trips.

The LPG filling stations isn't a problem on a converted car because you have a large petrol tank as well. I never found this to be an issue, and rarely had to run on petrol.

LPG varies dramatically in price as well.

I bought my car already converted for about the same price as an unconverted car, checked the quality of the conversion and that it was an engine that "likes" LPG.

I drove in luxury for 5 years while paying half-price for the fuel and polluting a bit less. Best car I've ever had, and the next I bought was an almost-new all-leather 250bhp Legacy estate, so if I preferred the Audi it must have been good.

From what I've read, it could have been a lot worse, LPG conversions can be rubbish and problematic. I don't think your car is suitable, but check with an expert (one who does not have an interest in selling you a conversion).

The LPG filling stations isn't a problem on a converted car because you have a large petrol tank as well. I never found this to be an issue, and rarely had to run on petrol.

LPG varies dramatically in price as well.

I bought my car already converted for about the same price as an unconverted car, checked the quality of the conversion and that it was an engine that "likes" LPG.

I drove in luxury for 5 years while paying half-price for the fuel and polluting a bit less. Best car I've ever had, and the next I bought was an almost-new all-leather 250bhp Legacy estate, so if I preferred the Audi it must have been good.

From what I've read, it could have been a lot worse, LPG conversions can be rubbish and problematic. I don't think your car is suitable, but check with an expert (one who does not have an interest in selling you a conversion).

Thanks, I think a ready made option would be a better approach. Is there any difference in performance?

Thanks, I think a ready made option would be a better approach. Is there any difference in performance?

Yes, apparently the LPG is about 30% less efficient and less powerful. However, I have a LPG Mitsubishi Outlander (factory fitted) and have never noticed the difference when I switch (and yes, every LPG is in fact a 'hybrid' in that they all have a petrol tank as well as a LPG tank and to switch between the two you just tap a buton on your dashboard).

You have to be doing serious mileage to make it worth it. My car is LPG converted and the insurance premium is £130 more a year because of it. I personally don't think the car runs any cheaper on LPG (I drive it on petrol and my housemate drives it on LPG) and the car doesn't run very well on it either (tends to stall when you're changing down a gear). This might be due to the fact that the conversion is ten years old and probably hasn't been serviced for five years. If I had any interest in driving it on LPG I would service it but I see that as my housemate's prerogative since I only use it on petrol.

If the car has a ceramic exhaust manifold or a turbo you DO have an interest in making sure it runs well on LPG.

Or it will soon be bye-bye car.

Some cars run better on LPG(it's complex, do some Googling).

Others don't like it.

I think this will be true even of some factory-fitted LPG conversions.

My car ran well on it, very little difference, but it was a very sweet engine on petrol as well if a little thirsty.

I heard of a bloke running an Impreza turbo on LPG which is insane because a backfire could do for the turbo at any time. He claimed the car was fantastic on LPG, something to do with the octane value being higher and it being a performance engine(I think).

Guest P-Diddly

Anyone done this before?

Could do with some advice on upfront/hidden costs, feasibility, maintenance/servicing demands, impact on performance and most important of all, is it worth it?

Any help/input appreicated.

No idea if it's available in the UK or for your car, but have a look at dual fuel. Can run of petrol or gas. Most taxi's out here have it.

You have to be doing serious mileage to make it worth it. My car is LPG converted and the insurance premium is £130 more a year because of it. I personally don't think the car runs any cheaper on LPG (I drive it on petrol and my housemate drives it on LPG) and the car doesn't run very well on it either (tends to stall when you're changing down a gear). This might be due to the fact that the conversion is ten years old and probably hasn't been serviced for five years. If I had any interest in driving it on LPG I would service it but I see that as my housemate's prerogative since I only use it on petrol.

Wow - didn't know that.

Archived