HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

The fundamentals simply aren't there - and the feckwitted investors are only just realising along with their feckwitted economist pals.

An interesting week ahead. And thank goodness I'm not playing the stock markets!

There is lots to be worried about all over the world. It seems to me that relatively, the UK is in pretty good shape.

The US is the real basket case. All of the banks there are underwater. They have been kept alive by the Fed. Now if someone were to audit the Fed, and find out that they have exceeded their legal mandate, then all the big banks would go pop.

Lets hope they dont audit the Fed then. Oh my, support is growing in Congress to.....Audit the Fed.

It may be that the Fed has the right policy. But that wont matter. If they have broken the law to carry out the right policy, then you can bet your boots that the authorities will want to be seen to be following a legal policy, even if that is the wrong thing to do. The US has a real possibility of financial collapse from here.

Ironically, if there is a collapse, one of the best things to own would be land. Better than gold even.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

The stock market is seeing huge swings at the moment, what the hell is going on?

Anyone got any ideas?

What's spooked the market to be so volatile?

-3% in one day: well it's a reasonable move but doesnt bear comparison with volatility of Oct/Nov 2008. But even so, this is was happens when you get a technical and program-trading driven rally of 60% on shakey foundations, small volume and all that recovery bullsh*t. If it gathers a bit of momentum, there wont be any buyers stepping in.

First to exist loses the least, only one to exit

:lol:

Edited by Toilet-Currency

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

There is lots to be worried about all over the world. It seems to me that relatively, the UK is in pretty good shape.

The US is the real basket case. All of the banks there are underwater. They have been kept alive by the Fed. Now if someone were to audit the Fed, and find out that they have exceeded their legal mandate, then all the big banks would go pop.

Lets hope they dont audit the Fed then. Oh my, support is growing in Congress to.....Audit the Fed.

It may be that the Fed has the right policy. But that wont matter. If they have broken the law to carry out the right policy, then you can bet your boots that the authorities will want to be seen to be following a legal policy, even if that is the wrong thing to do. The US has a real possibility of financial collapse from here.

Ironically, if there is a collapse, one of the best things to own would be land. Better than gold even.

Erm, no... http://ftalphaville.ft.com/blog/2009/10/30/80456/uk-economy-like-an-episode-eastenders-says-morgan-stanley/

HOLA4416

gruffyd,

what were you saying no to?

The UK economy shrank only slightly in the last quarter, not much behind the US. Unemployment seems to have stopped its dramatic rises, and is lower than a lot of trouble countries. Somehow, gravity has been defied, house prices have held up, keeping our banks solvent, so much in fact that Lloyds no longer want the taxpayer to underwrite the risk on a lot of its loans.

A weaker pound will also help the economy grow over the coming months. Things arent great, but they are worse elsewhere, thats for sure. I wouldnt want to swap our prospects with that of the US, thats for sure.

HOLA4417

gruffyd,

what were you saying no to?

The UK economy shrank only slightly in the last quarter, not much behind the US. Unemployment seems to have stopped its dramatic rises, and is lower than a lot of trouble countries. Somehow, gravity has been defied, house prices have held up, keeping our banks solvent, so much in fact that Lloyds no longer want the taxpayer to underwrite the risk on a lot of its loans.

A weaker pound will also help the economy grow over the coming months. Things arent great, but they are worse elsewhere, thats for sure. I wouldnt want to swap our prospects with that of the US, thats for sure.

Are you sure that you wouldn't want some of their military might when negotiations are not getting anywhere at 1159?

p-o-p

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Must be great to be Goldman Sachs right now.

Want some more funny money? Just do a bit of selling on a Friday, get a new stimulus before opening on Monday.

i dunno, somethings changed, am leaning more to a continuation of the selling on monday, the vix is up 25pct today, the demand for options hedging is high, the market ain't buying the stimulus anymore, the gdpfigs were an excuse for officials to ramp, but underlying consumer confidence is down, theres a few people on bloomberg calling for a crash, the market is spooked