House Price Crash Forum

Staines Staines Staines Staines

Have been looking at moving to Staines (currently renting in East London). Looks like a decent place to live, good town centre, by the river etc. Prices are ok but not amazing - should be able to get a decent 3 bed house for well under £300k. The question is, are we better off buying in South London somewhere like Streatham ... is the commute (40 mins to waterloo) gonna be a killer ... thoughts?

Have been looking at moving to Staines (currently renting in East London). Looks like a decent place to live, good town centre, by the river etc. Prices are ok but not amazing - should be able to get a decent 3 bed house for well under £300k. The question is, are we better off buying in South London somewhere like Streatham ... is the commute (40 mins to waterloo) gonna be a killer ... thoughts?

I can't comment on South London as I have no idea. Staines is an ok place to live and I would describe living here as functional and overpriced for what it is. The housing stock isn't the greatest quality either in terms of what you get for your cash. Rents have come down a lot though and don't let the letting agents tell you any different. The train journey time is alright as long as you get the fast one into Waterloo (as opposed to the Hounslow loop) but extremely crowded and Southwest trains are a complete rip off. Don't know if you have kids but the schools are substandard compared to other areas nearby.

Hope this helps.

So what other areas in the vicinity are better in terms of schools...

the schools are substandard compared to other areas nearby.

Hmmm thanks

Yeah have noticed that house prices actually aren't that cheap and quite limited supply ...

bit worrying what you say about the over-crowding - would have hoped to be able to get on at Staines and get a seat ...

have heard lots of good things about staines but now not sure ...

So what other areas in the vicinity are better in terms of schools...

the schools are substandard compared to other areas nearby.

I don't know anything about Staines apart from it has a massive influx of immigrants. So many that council services are stretched to breaking point. In some schools English is the minority language among about 30 others.

And big up the West Staines massive. Aiiiii.

I don't know anything about Staines apart from it has a massive influx of immigrants. So many that council services are stretched to breaking point. In some schools English is the minority language among about 30 others.

And big up the West Staines massive. Aiiiii.

I live in Staines, and I don't recognise the above.

But ... property is pretty expensive, and socially Staines (imho) does seem to be going the way of Feltham (rough, urban).

Have you considered Chertsey, Egham or Walton?

Thanks for the pointers...

I live in Staines, and I don't recognise the above.

But ... property is pretty expensive, and socially Staines (imho) does seem to be going the way of Feltham (rough, urban).

Have you considered Chertsey, Egham or Walton?

I wouldn't live in Staines if you paid me. However Walton is nice I lived there for a while. Esher, ok. Weighbridge has nothing there for a place so expensive, same with Chertsey and Addlestone.

It's likely to cost you a fair bit more to live in Weybridge, Esher or Walton than it will for the same place in Staines, Chertsey or Addlestone.

I worked in staines the last 5 years, and ocassionally lodge there for a few months at a time and i haven't seen some massive influx of immigrants, i don't know what that person was talking about. I think the big difference between staines and south london is that staines is a hell of a lot safer and that's something to consider depending on what life-stage you're at. It's nice being able to have a drink/meal down by the river as well. I don't think the prices are particularly amazing though. The fast train into waterloo is about 25mins but a monthly travelcard will set you back about £200.

Thanks all - i dont think train is 25 mins though ... more like 40 according to nationalrail.co.uk

Went there again today to see a couple of places - really think the place has a fair bit going for it - close to nice walks in Runnymede etc, near countryside, easy access to Windsor - certainly did not look like somewhere that's over-run with immigrants or chavs

Just need to find the right place at the right price

Interested to hear anymore views on the place from people that know it

• 1 month later...

Interested to hear anymore views on the place from people that know it

I grew up in Staines and now live in South London (Camberwell). Staines is a pleasant enough riverside town. There is a reasonable range of shops and the train services into Waterloo are good. Personally, I would rather live in Staines than Streatham (the latter being a bit dull and fairly expensive). There are other places in London you could consider however - Forest hill or Crystal Palace are still relatively cheap and nicer than Streatham in my opinion.

Having said that, it really does depend on what you're looking for. I moved from Staines in my late teens / early twenties and couldn't wait to leave. Now that I'm a bit older, married and have a kid however, I can of course see the advantages of living somewhere like Staines (big houses, low crime and lots of open space).

Anyway, good luck with it. At the end of the day, any place is what you make of it.

Thanks all - i dont think train is 25 mins though ... more like 40 according to nationalrail.co.uk

Went there again today to see a couple of places - really think the place has a fair bit going for it - close to nice walks in Runnymede etc, near countryside, easy access to Windsor - certainly did not look like somewhere that's over-run with immigrants or chavs

Staines is like any large town - if you go there at the wrong time of the evening it will look like it is over-run with chavs. Just becauase that is the case in the evening, doesnt mean that it will effect your life if you live a 5 minute walk away. If you go to somewhere like Guildford at night it is all fighting and vomit, but I am sure most people would agree it is a fairly good place to live overall.

If you are interested in a slightly shorter commute than Staines, it could be worth trying Kingston or Richmond. IMO, both are nicer than Staines, but are a bit more expensive (especially Richmond). The advantage being that you are only 15-20 minutes from Waterloo rather than 40-45. It makes a big difference if you are commuting, and tickets are much cheaper as well.

My main advice would be not to get too hung up on the town itself, but find a nice part to live in. For example, towns like Slough are often ridiculed, but if you live in the nicest part of it, it would likely be nicer (and cheaper) than parts of 'better' towns nearby like Staines or Maidenhead.

• 3 weeks later...

Staines is a decent place. You do get an influx of bacteria on the weekend evenings and also at the station to visit thorpe park, but its one of the better towns that I have lived in.

Ashford isnt so nice. Its closer to feltham for one thing......

Thanks!!!

Can you clarify by what do u mean when u say Ashford is not so nice...

Any comments about Sunbury l!!!

Staines is a decent place. You do get an influx of bacteria on the weekend evenings and also at the station to visit thorpe park, but its one of the better towns that I have lived in.

Ashford isnt so nice. Its closer to feltham for one thing......

Edited by ajex

Thanks!!!

Can you clarify by what do u mean when u say Ashford is not so nice...

Any comments about Sunbury l!!!

Its generally a pretty dreary relatively modern place with no character.... a tired post war high street with a DVLA test centre which means there are swarms of learners creeping round corners.... there no river, no character, and no big town centre with a market each wednesday and saturday... and dont forget, it borders feltham! and feltham is a dump! STAY FAR AWAY FROM FELTHAM!

Sunbury - utterly depends on which part of sunbury you go to. Some of its chav central and some of its out of sight expensive detached houses. The trains from Sunbury are very slow though so I wouldnt recommend it if you're commuting by train.

Staines is a much better proposition that either Ashford or Sunbury, unless you have a whole lotta money and can afford the nice part of sunbury.

Many thanks for the clarification!!!

Its generally a pretty dreary relatively modern place with no character.... a tired post war high street with a DVLA test centre which means there are swarms of learners creeping round corners.... there no river, no character, and no big town centre with a market each wednesday and saturday... and dont forget, it borders feltham! and feltham is a dump! STAY FAR AWAY FROM FELTHAM!

Sunbury - utterly depends on which part of sunbury you go to. Some of its chav central and some of its out of sight expensive detached houses. The trains from Sunbury are very slow though so I wouldnt recommend it if you're commuting by train.

Staines is a much better proposition that either Ashford or Sunbury, unless you have a whole lotta money and can afford the nice part of sunbury.

• 10 years later...