House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
hactonhouse

Best Place To Sell Gold Proof Coins?

I am looking to sell a number of £10 proof Britannias and other British gold proofs.

Dealers I have spoken to are only prepared to pay around bullion prices.

I find this rather surprising as they rend to charge a 25% premium when selling.

On Ebay gold proofs sell at around 10% premium to bullion prices but the fees are some 13%.

I have searched the archives and can find no advice on selling proofs.

Plenty of excellent advice on the forums regarding bullion coins but nothing about proofs.

Any suggestions to maximise returns would be appreciated.

I am looking to sell a number of £10 proof Britannias and other British gold proofs.

I find this rather surprising as they rend to charge a 25% premium when selling.

On Ebay gold proofs sell at around 10% premium to bullion prices but the fees are some 13%.

Plenty of excellent advice on the forums regarding bullion coins but nothing about proofs.

I buy such coins off ebay and privately and I pay well below the issue price even for coins issued 3 years ago despite the rise in gold. I'm afraid you have discovered the Mint are running a bit of a scam since the collector value of these coins is nowhere near the premium they charge.

Ebay is still your best bet and the premium is a bit higher than you say with a 1995 or 1996 sov selling for around 190-200 but you take a bit of a chance.

If you want to pm me we might be able to do something to mutual advantage if you live near.

Which dealers did you speak to? Some seem to be primarily bullion/metal dealers and others seem to be more interested in the numismatic aspect. If I was trying to sell a proof, I'd probably start with Chard (http://www.taxfreegold.co.uk/) or Weighton (http://www.weightoncoin.com/coins/).

I'd also be interested to hear if anybody knows of a good place to sell other than eBay.

I would message you if I could but you need to enable PM on your profile page and I think you might need to have your account ungraded to receive messages (not sure about this)

Guest happy?

Dealers need to have a margin on buying and selling - otherwise they go out of business. Obvious but true. Dealers don't know how long they will have to hang on to a coin. In truth, proofs look pretty, but outside of collectors there's little demand for them - hence they re-sell for something approaching their bullion value. Rare coins have a scarcity value but proofs simply don't - they're made in their thousands.

I suspect that eBay's the best place to shift them - in my experience punters on there pay some wacky prices. I bought a mint proof set of 1970 pre-decimal coins (purely sentimental reasons they're all base-metal) from a high street dealer a couple of weeks ago for £18.00 (no bargain), on eBay people were bidding £38.00 for an indentical set. I was tempted to go back to the dealer buy his stock and flog them all on eBay.

If you're looking for a 'store of wealth' the old maxim buy low sell high applies. Bullion coins bought for close to spot-prices would be your best bet - Krugerrands are cheapest and the larger the quantity the better the discount. The only problem is that the Paul Kruger was as ugly as sin and the coin's captured his likeness very well.

Scrap silver is another alternative - pre 1946 coins have a good silver content. Silver's a lot cheaper than gold and I think the prices have proved more profitable. There's a lot of silver coins issued (UK, Austria, Canada, USA, China, etc.). Collecting coins can be much more interesting than buying annual proof sets from the Royal Mint and a set of something can have a value in itself e.g. a complete run of George V sovereigns may command a slightly higher price than the same number from different monarchs.

I have to disagree with some of the comments on here, I have got a 2017 Whole Coin Set Sovereign - 4 Coins Gold Proof and this set was not made in their thousands, they only had a limited amount made in my case just under 1,000. So not all proof sets are made in their thousands.