House Price Crash Forum

My Parachute Finally Opened

After spending the last nine months as a layabout/deperately looking for work/thinking of a career change I finally have been offered a new position, incredibly I've actually managed to get a decent sized pay increase and a nice bonus package with a company that is thriving in these bad conditions. It feels now like someone has been watching over me.

Being unemployed has been eye opening, it has changed my politics and opinions somewhat, I'm thankful that I had insurance on the debt that I still have outstanding and am going to start really paying down what is left of it ( it's already less than 1x new salary including the mortgage but that is enough to be really scary with no real income ).

Good luck to any of you out there who are currently out of work, in debt or worried for their savings, it's a scary time. Let's hope we collectively learn our lessons from all this. ( though I doubt we will ).

After spending the last nine months as a layabout/deperately looking for work/thinking of a career change I finally have been offered a new position, incredibly I've actually managed to get a decent sized pay increase and a nice bonus package with a company that is thriving in these bad conditions. It feels now like someone has been watching over me.

Being unemployed has been eye opening, it has changed my politics and opinions somewhat, I'm thankful that I had insurance on the debt that I still have outstanding and am going to start really paying down what is left of it ( it's already less than 1x new salary including the mortgage but that is enough to be really scary with no real income ).

Good luck to any of you out there who are currently out of work, in debt or worried for their savings, it's a scary time. Let's hope we collectively learn our lessons from all this. ( though I doubt we will ).

Congratulations and well done mate. I know what it's like to spend a long time unemployed, you end up questioning a lot about yourself and the world around you. It may sound daft, but sometimes a bout of unemployment is good for your soul! Glad you've got back onto your feet and it's good you looking to eliminate debt from your life, you've certainly learned how fragile things can get and are doing the sensible thing in trying to not let yourself feel as vunlerable in the future. Good luck! ;)

Congratulations and well done mate. I know what it's like to spend a long time unemployed, you end up questioning a lot about yourself and the world around you. It may sound daft, but sometimes a bout of unemployment is good for your soul! Glad you've got back onto your feet and it's good you looking to eliminate debt from your life, you've certainly learned how fragile things can get and are doing the sensible thing in trying to not let yourself feel as vunlerable in the future. Good luck! ;)

Yep being unemployed certainly changes your perspective it can become soul destroying especially when you don't get anywhere with job applications.

I can certainly see why the long term unemployed just give up applying, what's the point your only going to be rejected.

I had around 3 years unemployed and never got anywhere, did everything that was asked attended job clubs, did training courses to improve my skiills still didn't get a job. Ended up going to Uni as I might as well spend 3 years learning rather than being unsuccessful in job applications, although ironically I did get a job offer about a month before I was due to start Uni!!! First time I'd been successful but I'd already made my decision. After I finished my degree I been lucky enough that I've not been out of work since, although in the current climate that could all change.

Is it one of those post suicide clean up Jobs?

Anyway good luck.!

Congratulations and well done. Glad it has turned out okay for you. You must have had some stressful times in the past year.

Congratulations!

Congrats! What line of work is this?

Did you get the £60/week+housing in benefits, or did they find some reason to exclude you from that and leave you to taste a bit of real poverty?

Congrats! What line of work is this?

Software development, I actually made the last 2 or 3 a couple times before this and then got edged out so it feels good to actually crack it and get offered something, particularly as, from my point of view, this is a better job than the ones I missed out on.

Did you get the £60/week+housing in benefits, or did they find some reason to exclude you from that and leave you to taste a bit of real poverty?

No housing benefit for me. Got a mortgage ( brought back in the mid 90s post the last crash ) and the insurance has been paying out for that and an unsecured bank loan. First 6 months I was on contributions based JSA, just some JSA after that, had to make redundancy money stretch. Pretty bad deal when I look at how much tax I've paid over my career.

Congratulations. A huge relief I'm sure.

Someone has been watching over you it seems , however I hestitate to point out who that guardian is likely to have been.

Congrats,

Out of interest, how has it changed your politics and opinions?

Your good news has lifted my spirits, (I've been out of work since Apr 09 for the first time in my life), and feel desperate. I have no debt, so it is not as bad for me, but after receiving the 300th outright rejection, you start to question yourself. You start asking "why did anyone give me a salary if I am this useless?".

The worst thing is to look at your wife and kids in the eyes every day, knowing that you cannot provide for them as you once did. It really changes you and your family can see your confidence and self respect ebbing away.

I am glad your parachute opened in time as I frustratedly tug at my cord and continue to plung. (And no, that's not a euphemism.......)

Your good news has lifted my spirits, (I've been out of work since Apr 09 for the first time in my life), and feel desperate. I have no debt, so it is not as bad for me, but after receiving the 300th outright rejection, you start to question yourself. You start asking "why did anyone give me a salary if I am this useless?".

The worst thing is to look at your wife and kids in the eyes every day, knowing that you cannot provide for them as you once did. It really changes you and your family can see your confidence and self respect ebbing away.

I am glad your parachute opened in time as I frustratedly tug at my cord and continue to plung. (And no, that's not a euphemism.......)

That sucks, I feel for you. I had a lengthy involuntary spell out of work a few years back - certainly gives you a new perspective on things. The vital thing is to keep fighting and not to let your spirits drop. I found running / exercise very helpful here. Also it's important to be open minded - it's a temporary hole so a temporary solution will do to get you out of it.

What line of work are you in?

(I've been out of work since Apr 09 for the first time in my life), and feel desperate. I have no debt, so it is not as bad for me, but after receiving the 300th outright rejection, you start to question yourself. You start asking "why did anyone give me a salary if I am this useless?".

You have my understanding and sympathy. Just love your family who will always love you. And you will get something.

Been out of work in my field for 9 months and not even an interview, but I've just started today at minimum wage at age 38 :unsure:. Just take anything, it's worth it for your spirit/sanity. Sorry, I don't mean to be preachy. Best of luck

And Humanaction, well done, I'm pleased for you