House Price Crash Forum

The Impact Of The Suicide Bomber

The IRA campaign in London did not affect house prices, as such,

but they did affect tourism, especially from USA Americans

who, at the time, were strangers to terrorism and unwilling to be

exposed to it.

Is that because they slowly ratcheted up and so any effect on buyers' perceptions was not perceptable?

If that's the case then a sudden outburst of Islamic terrorism could cause problems - especially if it pushes the economy.

That said I think that the effect on house prices will be negligible, apart from any knock on re the economy.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see what you are trying to say, that people will try and move closer to work so they don't have to use the Tube, but I think the opposite would happen, people would move further out and use the overground rail network, on which none of the attacks have been targeted;

If the bombing continues they'll move off the tube and busses soon enough. Overground won't be safe just because it's overground.

If the danger continues long term then, yes, it could have noticable effects. Probably not houseprices - unless half of London was radioactive - but certainly tourism, where large organisations were based, etc.

Will it continue long term? Well, who knows? So far the response has been targeted hardening and calls for more draconian powers.

Is a committed Jihadist that sees ongoing neo-colonialism bombings and chaos purpotrated or inflamed by the west going to say, 'Balls - now they'd got CCTV everywhere, ID cards, and can hold you without trial, I'd better not blow myself up today'? Probably not.

Is there any sign that neo-colonialism, accellerated tenfold under Bush is going to be called off? Probably not. Is the mass-alienation created by evermore extreme f-you global capitalism, that allows religious fundamentalist ideas to become attractive to certain mindsets, going to be reversed? No, it will probably become more extreme. Is the total lack of humanity that fires sociopaths like suicide bombers and Blair going to disappear overnight. No way.

The latest outrages may or may not be a flash in the pan, but the soup of factors that allows them to take root will continue for some time to come.

:huh:  You mean DE-crease surely?? I see what you are trying to say, that people will try and move closer to work so they don't have to use the Tube, but I think the opposite would happen, people would move further out and use the overground rail network, on which none of the attacks have been targeted; there certainly won't be increased demand to live in the areas where the attacks are happening!

No, I think he is right. People will want to avoid commuting, so I think prices in areas in walking distance the City like Aldgate, Wapping, Whitechapel etc will go up. That's a bummer, because I was hoping to pick one up after there the crash.

No, I think he is right.  People will want to avoid commuting, so I think prices in areas in walking distance the City like Aldgate, Wapping, Whitechapel etc will go up.  That's a bummer, because I was hoping to pick one up after there the crash.

Friend mine said agent in Se1 phone rang hot for rentals after the attacks, think there will a peace of mind premium to be paid if you can walk to work or cycle easily....better than every couple weeks having to attempt walk 5 hours home..im getting quite fit walking as well...

Edited by mercsl

The UK had better get used to the idea, a decade or more of appeasing radical Islam in the name of political correctness has brought us to this.

al-Muhajiroun has about another 795 nutters lined up and ready to carry on the fight against the infidel...

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/londonn...ning%20Standard

"As far as I'm concerned, when they bomb London, the bigger the better," says Abdul Haq, the social worker. "I know it's going to happen because Sheikh bin Laden said so. Like Bali, like Turkey, like Madrid - I pray for it, I look forward to the day."

Until recently, nobody took the fanatical beliefs of al-Muhajiroun too seriously, believing that a British-based group so brazenly "out there" could not be involved in something as "underground" as terrorism. The group is led by the exiled Saudi, Sheikh Omar Bakri Mohammad, from his base in north London. Yesterday, in a magazine article, Bakri warned that several radical groups are poised to strike in London.

Youve been going to work every day to pay taxes to pay this scum's dole money. Ken Livingstone let them demonstrate and hold a rally in Trafalgar Square. England is reaping what it's sown for the last 50 years.

I work in London and have to say that I truly hope that these terrorist attacks are stopped and do not continue.  If they continue then London could become like Israel and I can't imagine that there are millions of tourists queuing up to go there.  A sustained attack would affect tourism as people don't really want to go to potential danger zones (how many of you have recently booked a holiday to Iraq?). 

Also it would have an effect on all sorts of business in London - shops, restaurants, cinemas, theatres etc etc.  I would also imagine that these terrorist activities will be knocking London Underground profits as from what I have seen loads more people are either walking, or cycling or driving to work now.  What is the congestion charge (in terms of price to pay) for having the secure knowledge that at least you aren't going to get blown up on the way to work.

Central London house prices and rents could increase in the face of a sustained attack.  However, I think that any effect on house prices would be more down to the overall knock on effect on the economy.  Add all this to an already struggling economy and it doesn't look good.

Personally if attacks are sustained I will have to take a view as to whether I want to work in London.  All the media is currently going on that people should defy the bombers, but tell that to someone's family if they got blown up.  I wouldn't go work in Israel and if London turns in to the same kind of scenario I would seriously consider taking some time out (Hey at least because house prices are so ridiculously high I don't have the issue of a huge mortgage to pay anyway!).  However lets hope that this situation doesn't go on - if it did it could cause terrible problems not just in terms of the economy but also in terms of race relations.

One possible side effect is already being seen by a few directors of recruitment companies I know. They are seeing a marked drop in applications for jobs in london, particularly where the prospective employee does not currently live in the capital (eg. graduates, overseas). They also inform me that they expect to see a rise in some salaries in the capital for certain areas and job types in an effort to attract in the right candidates.

So one possible side effect - wage inflation in certain areas and job types in the capital.

Whether this will be purely temporary will rest on whether this turns out to be a bombing campaign.

You Brits have got to get rid of your Muslims. They will NOT stop doing what they are pogrammed to do, which is to kill or convert. Read the Koran!

You Brits have got to get rid of your Muslims. They will NOT stop doing what they are pogrammed to do, which is to kill or convert. Read the Koran!
"Make war on them until idolatry shall cease and God's religion shall reign supreme." (Surah 8:36-)

"If you fear treachery from any of your allies, you may fairly retaliate by breaking off your treaty with them." (Surah 8:51-)

"...make war on the leaders of unbelief...Make war on them: God will chastise them at your hands and humble them. He will grant you victory over them..." (Surah 9:12-)

"It ill becomes the idolaters [non-Muslims] to visit the mosques of God..." (Surah 9:17)

"Fight against such as those to whom the Scriptures were given [Jews and Christians]...until they pay tribute out of hand and are utterly subdued." (Surah 9:27-)

"It is He who has sent forth His apostle with guidance and the true Faith [islam] to make it triumphant over all religions, however much the idolaters [non-Muslims] may dislike it." (Surah 9:31-)

"If you do not fight, He will punish you sternly, and replace you by other men." (Surah 9:37-)

"Prophet make war on the unbelievers and the hypocrites and deal rigorously with them. Hell shall be their home." (Surah 9:73)

"Believers, make war on the infidels who dwell around you. Deal firmly with them." (Surah 9:121-)

"Say: 'Praise be to God who has never begotten a son; who has no partner in His Kingdom..." (Surah 17:111)

"'How shall I bear a child,' she [Mary] answered, 'when I am a virgin...?' 'Such is the will of the Lord,' he replied. 'That is no difficult thing for Him...God forbid that He [God[ Himself should beget a son!...Those who say: 'The Lord of Mercy has begotten a son,' preach a monstrous falsehood..." (Surah 19:12-, 29-, 88)

"Fight for the cause of God with the devotion due to Him...He has given you the name of Muslims..." (Surah 22:78-)

"Blessed are the believers...who restrain their carnal desires (except with their wives and slave-girls, for these are lawful to them)...These are the heirs of Paradise..." (Surah 23:1-5-)

"You shall not force your slave-girls into prostitution in order that you make money, if they wish to preserve their chastity." (Surah 24:33-)

"As for the faithful who do good works and believe what is revealed to Muhammad...He will forgive them their sins..." (Surah 47:1)

"Muhammad is God's apostle. Those who follow him are ruthless to the unbelievers but merciful to one another." (Surah 48:29)

The "sleepers" have been waiting for years. The least you could do would be at least to wake up to that fact. The imams have ben calling for your desruction or conversion for many years now. Please open your eyes. What is a house in London worth now? You couldn't pay me to live there now. :)

man bLIAR is a ****, look at all those muslims in london preaching hate, and yet "ohh noo, we must be nice to these people" - stays the same. In America they would be put on a boat sent out to sea and used as target practice by the army. But in England its fine. Well schwing bada badda boom, it aint now is it bliar u muppet.

Deporting people doesn't hurt them, all things being equal. There is a merciful way to solve the problem. Just make them move! That being said, there are lots of nice moslems, moon god worshipers. Nonetheless, do we want the fringe lunatic branch of it terrorizing us for the next 20 years, or, worse yet, taking over? It's high time for western civilization to get over its squeemishness and deal with the problem.

Deporting people doesn't hurt them, all things being equal. There is a merciful way to solve the problem. Just make them move! That being said, there are lots of nice moslems, moon god worshipers. Nonetheless, do we want the fringe lunatic branch of it terrorizing us for the next 20 years, or, worse yet, taking over? It's high time for western civilization to get  over its squeemishness and deal with the problem.

Look who's calling people "the fringe lunatic." :P

One in four Muslims sympathises with motives of terrorists

By Anthony King

(Filed: 23/07/2005)

The group portrait of British Muslims painted by YouGov's survey for The Daily Telegraph is at once reassuring and disturbing, in some ways even alarming.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml...3/ixportal.html

:ph34r:

The notion of a "Nation" is that of a land united in a common cause, with common aims, goals, ambitions.. a common 'people'. Britain, England even, is clearly no longer a nation. What makes this particularly galling is that we have imported the problem... the liberal political elite have presided over an insane immigration policy, and anyone who has criticised it in the past has been automatically branded a Nazi (which is odd, I always thought Nazis were 1930s/40s goose-stepping German lunatics in leather outfits who we defeated).

Unfortunately I think its too late, I can't quite see how England can ever be a nation again.

The IRA campaign in London did not affect house prices, as such,

but they did affect tourism, especially from USA Americans

who, at the time, were strangers to terrorism and unwilling to be

exposed to it.

I think that nowadays terrorism is becoming an accepted part of

life and europeans, especially, will accept the risk as we accept

the risk of natural disasters in visiting places of interest.

Personally, I think the present bombings will have far less effect on

house prices than other factors - IRs, affordability, FTBs etc.

I agree with you but there is a major difference with today's bombings. As fare as I remember, IRA was always calling for warnings and places were evacuated. Now the aim is to kill as many as possible.

Still statistically you have more chance to die in a car crash than in a bomb attack. But I have to say that I am more happy to take a car than the tube now. Yes I am scared in the tube.

Now, I think that much more would have to happen to influence house price in London. I hope this will not happen...

Anyway to put a bit of joy in this post: Price will go down on their own, nothing else needed now!!

TWT

Guest prudence
The "sleepers" have been waiting for years. The least you could do would be at least to wake up to that fact. The imams have ben calling for your desruction or conversion for many years now. Please open your eyes. What is a house in London worth now? You couldn't pay me to live there now. :)

I presume you are American and as I believe they are inclined to overreact to anything that breaches normality I am not surprised by your completely disproportionate response to the situation.