House Price Crash Forum

Citibank Uk 3.3% Good Rate Instant Access

HOLA441

0800 number for telephone banking access and also internet, currently 3.3% interest, one of the best with instant access.

however, be careful if you accidentally send money to an external bank or internal Citibank account where you don't have sufficient funds, then £25 penalty charge. probably applies to other savings banks also.

HOLA442

0800 number for telephone banking access and also internet, currently 3.3% interest, one of the best with instant access.

however, be careful if you accidentally send money to an external bank or internal Citibank account where you don't have sufficient funds, then £25 penalty charge. probably applies to other savings banks also.

Yes, that's the best deal I can find at the moment. Specially among the "instant access" type.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA443

Opened one of these accounts a couple of weeks ago.

Received an email later that day asking me to input my passport number and details via their website for identity verification purposes.

Now they send me a letter asking for a "certified copy" of passport or driving licence or identity card. According to them, certified copies are "signed and dated by a lawyer, notary public or banker using an official stamp, with their name and address written on it".

Is it getting more and more difficult to open a savings account?

Have tried to phone them today, message says that due to the high demand for this account, see our website, then the line goes dead. Great customer service.

Edited by Long Way Down

HOLA444

Opened one of these accounts a couple of weeks ago.

Received an email later that day asking me to input my passport number and details via their website for identity verification purposes.

Now they send me a letter asking for a "certified copy" of passport or driving licence or identity card. According to them, certified copies are "signed and dated by a lawyer, notary public or banker using an official stamp, with their name and address written on it".

Is it getting more and more difficult to open a savings account?

Have tried to phone them today, message says that due to the high demand for this account, see our website, then the line goes dead. Great customer service.

are you sure that email was from citibank, not phishing? input your passport details online?!

when i tried to open an account with coventry they wanted certified copies of stuff, so i certified them into the recycling bin. however, this nonsense is becoming more common where an account cannot be opened in person at a bank's branch

HOLA445

are you sure that email was from citibank, not phishing? input your passport details online?!

when i tried to open an account with coventry they wanted certified copies of stuff, so i certified them into the recycling bin. however, this nonsense is becoming more common where an account cannot be opened in person at a bank's branch

Yes, def from citibank:

https://www.citibank.co.uk/personal/banking/passport/index.htm?merchant=citi

I finally got through to them on the phone, said they could not verify my ID via the online form due to technical problems at their end - hence the request for certified copy of passport.

Have since also certified into recycling via shredder!

Have applied for a Sainsburys account - will see what ID they require.

HOLA446

Yes, def from citibank:

https://www.citibank.co.uk/personal/banking/passport/index.htm?merchant=citi

I finally got through to them on the phone, said they could not verify my ID via the online form due to technical problems at their end - hence the request for certified copy of passport.

Have since also certified into recycling via shredder!

Have applied for a Sainsburys account - will see what ID they require.

dont blame you, thing is its the govt money laundering regulations or some such, but it really is difficult to get certified copies + most officials charge, perhaps a PC would do it free at the police stn if someone dropped some money into the widows fund box, but regardless they've better things to be doing + i think most banks know if they ask for ceritified copies they will not be getting as many deposits as people cant be ar$ed, i certainly cant

HOLA447

I've just opened one of these accounts a few weeks ago and was surprised that they didn't want any proof of my ID other than another bank account into which they would send interest payments.

My partner however has just opened an account with them and they wanted the passport details and now want copies of the passport and utility bills etc

I'm just curious why they didn't ask for my details?

HOLA448

dont blame you, thing is its the govt money laundering regulations or some such, but it really is difficult to get certified copies + most officials charge, perhaps a PC would do it free at the police stn if someone dropped some money into the widows fund box, but regardless they've better things to be doing + i think most banks know if they ask for ceritified copies they will not be getting as many deposits as people cant be ar$ed, i certainly cant

Not just any certified copy.

Had to be from a banker, solicitor or public notary - with their stamp/signature/address.

Banker "So why do you want me to sign/stamp your certified copy?"

Me "So I can open a savings account elsewhere."

Banker "F**k off then"

And I dread to think how much a solicitor would charge me.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
  • 1 month later...
HOLA4412

Not just any certified copy.

Had to be from a banker, solicitor or public notary - with their stamp/signature/address.

Banker "So why do you want me to sign/stamp your certified copy?"

Me "So I can open a savings account elsewhere."

Banker "F**k off then"

And I dread to think how much a solicitor would charge me.

I paid £64 for a notary in Feb.2007. The alternative would've been to pay 30% withholding tax to the US government, in addition to the UK government taxing my money as income.

To add insult to injury, the paperwork trail dried up, and they denied all knowledge of my application. Eventually I gave up, and went (at much higher expense - £64 is cheap when the alternative is travel to London) to apply in person.

Not sure what the moral of the story is, apart from one about steering well clear of monopolies and closed shops.