House Price Crash Forum

This Country Is Really Starting To Suck

Lots in this country seem to have done well out of housing and also outta public sector jobs.

i havent

you might say im one of lifes losers, but i aint i work hard, i save, i dont depend on no government to earn my wages.

but what do i get in return

i get student loans, un-affordable housing, wage rises below real inflation, no pension, no nothing.

All these things were what older generations got, anyone under about 35 never got nor can expect any of these.

And to add onto this the older generations just shout at us to try harder, work harder, get on the ladder, we managed it, its always hard to get on.These are the people that have benifitted, for our suffering.

ect ect ect

Well im reaching the stage, and realy reaching it where im looking around to where i could have a better life.I refuse to wait till im 40 or 50 till i can sit in my own home, without a landlord knocking on my door, or the council tax people grabbing my money or whatever.

The younger and not so younger generations in this country are fully subsidising with hard work the lifestyles of the ones before.

Im realy and i never ever thought i would say this, but im looking around now at another country to go live in.

i will take my deposit with me, take my education (well i paid for it), and move on to something better.To me it seems we are gonna have to become immigrants ourselves to get a better life, just like many have done to come here.

Im looking at some job i could do online, maybe doing websites or build a retail buisness or some sort, which from another country may have big advantages.

one thing is for sure i aint gonna sit around to be shafted all my life.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots in this country seem to have done well out of housing and also outta public sector jobs.

i havent

you might say im one of lifes losers, but i aint i work hard, i save, i dont depend on no government to earn my wages.

but what do i get in return

i get student loans, un-affordable housing, wage rises below real inflation, no pension, no nothing.

All these things were what older generations got, anyone under about 35 never got nor can expect any of these.

And to add onto this the older generations just shout at us to try harder, work harder, get on the ladder, we managed it, its always hard to get on.These are the people that have benifitted, for our suffering.

ect ect ect

Well im reaching the stage, and realy reaching it where im looking around to where i could have a better life.I refuse to wait till im 40 or 50 till i can sit in my own home, without a landlord knocking on my door, or the council tax people grabbing my money or whatever.

The younger and not so younger generations in this country are fully subsidising with hard work the lifestyles of the ones before.

Im realy and i never ever thought i would say this, but im looking around now at another country to go live in.

i will take my deposit with me, take my education (well i paid for it), and move on to something better.To me it seems we are gonna have to become immigrants ourselves to get a better life, just like many have done to come here.

Im looking at some job i could do online, maybe doing websites or build a retail buisness or some sort, which from another country may have big advantages.

one thing is for sure i aint gonna sit around to be shafted all my life.

Don't do it Homeless! I'm in the same boat but going is like selling your shares when they're at their lowest price!

Hang on in there - there's only one country in the world worth being in for all it's faults - Blighty.

I know it's uncool to demonstrate love for one's country but just get a motorcycle and travel around this land's beautiful regions - The Lake District in autumn, Cornwall in summer, Wales anytime, Scotland - magical.

You'll miss this place - you will. Stacks of 'Giver-uppers' come back "All is forgiven!" etc

Just you wait - it'll turn your way soon.

I think alot of young people feel the same. Labour have sucked the life out of the twenty-somethings in this country. In the 1970's people used to stand up for themselves and protest and strike which then lead to riots. No one seems to bother anymore, just given up and accepted it. :angry:

If your young, "TAX" is gonna be your middle name!

This country has been better and worse, from different points of view,

at different times.

Nowadays, I find it best to be independent, use what is there to be used,

make money where one can, avoid inefficiency and waste where one can,

and stand on one's own two big feet.

It doesn't help to look around too much - it can be depressing.

Best to get on with whatever one does best.

There is still room and scope to enjoy modest success and fulfillment.

I'm in the same boat but going is like selling your shares when they're at their lowest price!

If a share was at the bottom but would take a decade to recover to the price where yo bought it, would you hold it or sell and try to make money elsewhere?

A company's shares can triple overnight if they release a great new product. Countries take far longer to turn around.

Guest rigsby II
I think alot of young people feel the same. Labour have sucked the life out of the twenty-somethings in this country. In the 1970's people used to stand up for themselves and protest and strike which then lead to riots. No one seems to bother anymore, just given up and accepted it.  :angry:

I blame the parents of these 20 somethings, which I am ashamed to say is my generation of 40-50 somethings.

Many such parents tried their best to make life better and easier for their kids, to give them things they never had.

In so doing they took away any drive and ambition for the future because it was so easy and on a plate. Then in the real world they found it wasn't easy - not the kids fault - the parents not preparing them.

In many ways younger people have also had more responsibility at a younger age than ever. IT has been a revolution for younger kids who can have high paid jobs that simply didn't exist in the 1970s & 1980s - after apprenticeships and night school it could be middle to late 20s before you started earning decent money.

You've drawn the short straw unfortunately - but you have youth and that's worth a damn sight more than money, although you won't believe me and you'll have to wait until you're 40 odd to realise it...

I'm generalising of course, this probably didn't happen to you...

:)

Thanks for the heartfelt post Homeless. Just remember you are not alone, there are thousands in the same boat as you, and history is on our side.

In many of the other countries you might want to move to like the US, Australia, NZ, Canada or Ireland many of the same problems exist as here.

The baby-boomer generation have pulled the ladder up after them and are expecting to retire in comfort on their final salary pension schemes in the coming years. But power will inevitably pass to the next generation and I don't think there will be as much sympathy for the elderly in ten years time as there is currently. We will tax their property, ration their operations, and make them sit driving tests every year and no one will give a damn when they whine about it because everyone will think, "they had it easy in their day"!

there's only one country in the world worth being in for all it's faults - Blighty.

I take it you're either one of the top 5% or you haven't travelled much :(

Compared to most of Northern Europe, the USA, Canada and New Zealand general living standards for the average person are very poor.

My son and grandchildren are hoping to leave for NZ in the next couple of years. There they may have a long term future - here they would just become worker pawns in the Hong Kong of Europe, probably existing in tiny boxes in 'multi cultural' crime ridden areas, paying high taxes and working long hours till they're 70.

Labours Working (for the top 5%)!

Edited by 737
Don't do it Homeless! I'm in the same boat but going is like selling your shares when they're at their lowest price!

Hang on in there - there's only one country in the world worth being in for all it's faults - Blighty.

I know it's uncool to demonstrate love for one's country but just get a motorcycle and travel around this land's beautiful regions - The Lake District in autumn, Cornwall in summer, Wales anytime, Scotland - magical.

You'll miss this place - you will. Stacks of 'Giver-uppers' come back "All is forgiven!" etc

Just you wait - it'll turn your way soon.

pfft, you talk like only england has trees and fields. When people talk about missing blighty they talk about pathedic stuff like fish n chips and fields and country pubs.

For what its worth, I've just sent off my preliminary application to NZ as a skilled migrant. This country is a dump; if you're v. rich you'll be fine, if you're poor or lazy the middle classes will subsidise you, if you try to work hard Gordon the thief will take it from you. And its going to get worse.

how hard is it to get in there now? I've just submitted an application for canadian residence.

Whats the best thing about england? the departure lounge.

The living standards in the US (in average non bubble areas) makes this place look like a joke.

I worked out there so a couple of months for the US parent company of my employer. Someone doing my job, same age, had a 4 bed detached house a brand new SUV and ford focus for wife. There is me living like a student driving a 7 year old car and sharing a rented house :angry: .

Everything there is a £1 to $1 ratio or less, but they get 80k wages for our 40...

Cars over there are a $1:£1 price or less, and some of them come with a 100,000 mile warranty that makes ours look like a joke.

You can buy a brand new Ford Mustang in Canada for the equiv of about £12k a car that if sold over here would be 25k.

I mention this to people over here and they retort with stuff like "what about the little people" & "yea but there is alot of poverty", well to be honest i'm starting not to care - what about me!! i have a worse standard of living than my dole scrounging benefit cheating cousins who sit on their ass all day watching trisha :angry: :angry:

how hard is it to get in there now?

Not very. I'd certainly qualify in theory, but not having a Computer Science degree would make it a pain... seems that, unlike someone who just got out of a third-class CS degree from the local Poly, I'd have to prove I know how to program computers, even after I've been doing it for twenty years.

Not sure I'd want to live there myself, though. It's a nice country, but rather too slow for my taste.

Well we're off to NZ... I'm certainly not young but nowhere near old either! We're going primarily for these reasons:

Better choices/future for our children

Better lifestyle

Less overbearing Government

Better environment for running a business / being self-employed

Better retirement prospects (we don't have final salary pensions!!!).

For the financially minded - NZ offers: No Capital Gains Tax, No Inheritance Tax, No National Insurance Contributions, No Stamp Duty!

If you are young it is surprisingly easy to get in to NZ and a lot of other countries. If older you'll need the right skills/experience - but I sense that most people here have probably got what it needs.

Listen, if it doesn't work out you can always come back. Why not sit out the HPC whilst earning a living/saving somewhere a little more pleasant?

Al.

If you get an NZ PR visa you can get into OZ after 3 years in my understanding. If you have an OZ PR visa you are able to get into NZ anytime.

So if you dont have enough points for an OZ visa, try for an NZ visa then move over in a few years to OZ.

Guest rigsby II

You gotta be joking, there's more red tape than ever !!!

Mega House Price Bubble at the moment.

Sh*itty leaky freezing cold houses made of MDF and tin.

No ozone layer, you can't go out the sun tears your skin off.

Rains 70% of the time.

Sandflies.

Men wearing shorts and full length socks to work.

Women wearing shorts and wellies to work.

Horrible Kiwi accent that does your crust in.

Hoons and loons driving souped up Holden utes at 150 mph.

Absolutley shite TV

Maoris hate Whites and vice-versa (PC apologies Iwi hate Pakeha)

PC gone mad in favour of maoris

Whinging farmers

Not very. I'd certainly qualify in theory, but not having a Computer Science degree would make it a pain... seems that, unlike someone who just got out of a third-class CS degree from the local Poly, I'd have to prove I know how to program computers, even after I've been doing it for twenty years.

Not sure I'd want to live there myself, though. It's a nice country, but rather too slow for my taste.

The Software Industry is an area of 'absolute skills shortage' in NZ and anyone with 10 years experience is going to score max points all over the place over and above any other other criteria. I did work out that even without formal qualifications - you could get in so long as you had either a job offer or some relevant experience. They have lowered the bar in recent months - just 100 points are needed to get in right now. Visit HERE to find out your chances:

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/pointsindicator/

BTW - you will be surprised at what they consider a skill in short supply these days. This is a better link to the list of skills in short supply:

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/community/s...hortageList.htm

Even if your job is not on the shortage list you can still get in through various other channels. The above information relates to Permanent Residency (i.e. you can stay there forever) but if you want a 1-2 year work permit they're pretty easy to get.

Al.

Well we're off to NZ... I'm certainly not young but nowhere near old either!  We're going primarily for these reasons:

Better choices/future for our children

Better lifestyle

Less overbearing Government

Better retirement prospects (we don't have final salary pensions!!!).

For the financially minded - NZ offers: No Capital Gains Tax, No Inheritance Tax, No National Insurance Contributions, No Stamp Duty!

If you are young it is surprisingly easy to get in to NZ and a lot of other countries. If older you'll need the right skills/experience - but I sense that most people here have probably got what it needs.

Listen, if it doesn't work out you can always come back.  Why not sit out the HPC whilst earning a living/saving somewhere a little more pleasant?

Al.

having lived in Canada, USA and central america for 12yrs and having travelled to over 30 countries all over the world I will say one thing: The culture of the british isles is probably the most interesting anywhere. Go live abroad and you will miss the sharp biting wit, the cruel humour, infuriating deviousness and cunning, and the wicked intelligence and creativity that we have in abundance-- except of course of the Welsh :)

Guest horace

>>> Homeless.

It strikes me that you have a wishbone instead of a backbone. Are you one of those who `know their rights` and wait to have things handed to them on a plate?

I quote from your post

"i will take my deposit with me, take my education (well i paid for it),"

unquote.

You didn`t pay for your education, I did along with many others and looking at your appalling standard of written English we did not achieve value for money.

Leave the U.K. and be a failure where ever you live.

horace

Leave the U.K. and be a failure where ever you live.

That's what people always say before the 'brain drain' starts. Then when the 'brain drain' is in full flow, the losers are whining about the evil people escaping from Britain with their money and skills.

Which is, of course, because most British people want something for nothing and believe that others should be enslaved to pay for it: they can't bear to see the slaves freeing themselves.

Edited by MarkG