House Price Crash Forum

Portsmouth Fc On Brink

HOLA441
HOLA442

..... has been much predicted for many years (by me) but for some reason never actually happened, the death of sky

ie, why do people pay £47.00 a month to watch the one game a month involving their team, when they could watch this game down the pub for the price of a pint,

perhaps next year when the masses have to choose between food and their sky subs, sky will die and all who sail in her

HOLA443

why do people pay £47.00 a month to watch the one game a month involving their team, when they could watch this game down the pub for the price of a pint

Agreed, don't understand people paying for Sky Sports. ITV does a great job showing the ECL, BBC does OK these days (especially like their new Championship coverage) & if there's a game I really wanna see live I go down the local, spend maybe a tenner but for that I get the game, 3 pints & some good company. I must be missing something ...

HOLA444

Agreed, don't understand people paying for Sky Sports. ITV does a great job showing the ECL, BBC does OK these days (especially like their new Championship coverage) & if there's a game I really wanna see live I go down the local, spend maybe a tenner but for that I get the game, 3 pints & some good company. I must be missing something ...

Agree from a football point of view but unfortunately Sky have the cricket as well... thats why I stump up for it ... 5 days x 8 hours drinking down the pub costs more than a tenner!!

Edited by Tattoo'd Lady

HOLA445
HOLA446

According to 'The Times' things aren't quite as clear cut as Al Fahim or Storrie suggests.

the success of the deal depends on Alexandre Gaydamak, the previous owner. Under the terms of his sale of the club to al-Fahim, Gaydamak has certain powers of veto over a sell-on, while al-Faraj will proceed only if he is able to acquire Miland Development (2004) Ltd, owned by Gaydamak, which owns land around Fratton Park.

Linky

Edited by Son of Fred

HOLA447

Even funnier when they are forced to amalgamate with saints just for both to survive financially. Two half wit loser teams should make a complete halfwit loser team biggrin.gif coming soon to the south coast.

wonder what the name of the new super club will be ? Pouthamton ? Solent United ? Sortsmouth ?

Two struggling Hampshire teams merged into one :

Pants Hants Utd

HOLA448

Football clubs survive because HMRC is reluctant to liquidate them. There are big fat files for over half the professional clubs in the UK held by their Enforcement Office. If they actually sought to recover the arrears of tax by submitting winding up orders to the courts the English football leagues would vanish overnight. They have been having a free ride at everyone elses expense for a long, long time.

You're being a tad extreme there. A lot of football clubs owe the IR nothing.

However my point is that for all these "Don't let xxxxxx FC die" campaigns it never happens.

Because unlike, say, an electronics company there are people who will always buy the product marketed under xxxxx FC brand.

So if (say) the company that is Portsmouth FC was served with a winding-up order tomorrow then somebody would step in and buy:

Their place in the premier league

Their ground

Their name

All the supporters would keep going (and probably wouldn't notice the difference) and Portsmouth FC would still be there.

The dodgy, debt laden company that previously operated the Portsmouth brand would be liquidated; but it wouldn't matter to anybody bar the shareholders and creditors.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

It's not that bad. My local, Leeds United went through all this and Ken Bates is richer than ever. 'Allegedly' he rents Elland Road from himself via an offshore company, a win for him and for the club, tough luck all their old creditors including HMRC. Looking likely we will be back up in the Championship next year as well.

HOLA4412

Yes we are-big trouble. I'm philosophical about relegation but I am worried about administration. I really don't want to be starting in the Championship on -10.

It aint easy, look at Luton, Bournemouth and Southampton.

Leeds (my team) still in League One. You may recall we had -15 deducted in first season of League One - got to the play-offs so it's not always instant relegation. When you reach rockbottom it can galvanise the club. It's not as easy as some people think though, getting out of The Championship or League One. :-(

HOLA4413

You're being a tad extreme there. A lot of football clubs owe the IR nothing.

Yes the amateur ones.

Most of the rest live way beyond their means.

Often they cheered on to the path to oblivion by delusional fans who really believe that if they can land that foreign tycoon then one day CrapHole United or TossPot Town are going to win the Premiership etc.

Truly football is a metaphor for modern Britain

Edited by whatamisery

HOLA4414

It's not that bad. My local, Leeds United went through all this and Ken Bates is richer than ever. 'Allegedly' he rents Elland Road from himself via an offshore company, a win for him and for the club, tough luck all their old creditors including HMRC. Looking likely we will be back up in the Championship next year as well.

Championship ?

I believe that that was the old League Division 2 before the ludicrous grade inflation took over English league nomenclature much in the same way as it has degraded all other areas of British life.

Its good to see Bates is looking forward to bringing to Leeds the same level of football greatness he enjoyed when he ran Chelsea

As for the bearded wonders riches you can be sure that Leeds United itself will not see any of the money.

They will remain a pauper club just one step away from the bankruptcy courts.

HOLA4415

Honestly don't understand why wealthy foreigners throw their money into the worthless assets money pits that are English football clubs.

... popular support should they require political asylum, money laundering, as a vehicle to rack up huge borrowings ... you know, the usual reasons.

Problem is, anyone legit is likely to do a proper DCF and come to the conclusion most clubs are simply worthless .... other than as a vehicle for the aforementioned wheezes.