House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Son of Fred

Portsmouth Fc On Brink

When I first heard the Skates had been 'rescued' by a wealthy Arab businessman I assumed they had been taken over by an Oil Sheikh.

Not so. It appears that Sulaiman Al Fahim is nothing more than Dubai's answer to Grant Bovey - an off plan ponzi merchant.

With the club struggling to service it's debt obligations and pay the players wages, Fahim's promised finance fails to materialise and he hinself goes missing only to reappear in a Duabi hospital suffering from an unspecified illness.

Meanwhile the Daily mail asks:

Portsmouth owner Sulaiman Al Fahim: Is he all that he seems?

Seems he pursued a:

"strategy he called his 'infinite rate of return', whereby money is taken from investors and used as the marketing budget for other property developments."

I think Portsmouth FC are in big trouble.

Pay up Pompey, Pompey pay up!!

""strategy he called his 'infinite rate of return', whereby money is taken from investors and used as the marketing budget for other property developments.""

Pompey or Ponzi?

Pay up Pompey, Pompey pay up!!

Superb!

At least they won't be concentrating too hard when they play the mighty Wolves tomorrow, not being paid n'all ...

Superb!

At least they won't be concentrating too hard when they play the mighty Wolves tomorrow, not being paid n'all ...

Sometimes it has the opposite effect and binds a team together !

Sometimes it has the opposite effect and binds a team together !

as a southampton fan who's watched his team sink into league 1 with no prospect of escape, nearly going bust, i feel for them - as not having a rival team will be rubbish.

It is however, exceedingly funny.

What sort of loathsome fawning moron would think a Dubai property developer actually had money these days.

Oh yes, I remember:

piers_morgan_2122110.jpg

Edited by Frank Hovis

Guest skullingtonjoe

As a resident of Portsmouth I can only fear for the worst. All those bloated, tattooed, shaven-headed alpha males will go on the rampage when they finally realise what`s happening.

Too bad, I guess: the winning of the FA Cup in 2008 was the only event that distinguished this place from being anything other than a grim post-Cold War container port, a relic of times gone by. (Yes, people can go on about the `Historic Dockyard` - which isn`t too bad. Having said that Gunwharf Quays is a pile of crud). I suppose Stelios - I mean, Sulaiman - can buy up those overpriced `luxury executive apartments` around Portsea and turn them into something like EasySocialHousing etc (if the best he can do is attract the likes of skanky Pamela Anderson, well...says it all.)

I will be following these events with great interest as `HMS Pompey` sinks below the waves and the locals start baying - in suitably Portmuthian blood-curdling howls - for an invasion of Dubai :rolleyes:

As a resident of Portsmouth I can only fear for the worst. All those bloated, tattooed, shaven-headed alpha males will go on the rampage when they finally realise what`s happening.

Too bad, I guess: the winning of the FA Cup in 2008 was the only event that distinguished this place from being anything other than a grim post-Cold War container port, a relic of times gone by. (Yes, people can go on about the `Historic Dockyard` - which isn`t too bad. Having said that Gunwharf Quays is a pile of crud). I suppose Stelios - I mean, Sulaiman - can buy up those overpriced `luxury executive apartments` around Portsea and turn them into something like EasySocialHousing etc (if the best he can do is attract the likes of skanky Pamela Anderson, well...says it all.)

I will be following these events with great interest as `HMS Pompey` sinks below the waves and the locals start baying - in suitably Portmuthian blood-curdling howls - for an invasion of Dubai :rolleyes:

You don't support your local team then SJ? ;)

When I first heard the Skates had been 'rescued' by a wealthy Arab businessman I assumed they had been taken over by an Oil Sheikh.

Not so. It appears that Sulaiman Al Fahim is nothing more than Dubai's answer to Grant Bovey - an off plan ponzi merchant.

With the club struggling to service it's debt obligations and pay the players wages, Fahim's promised finance fails to materialise and he hinself goes missing only to reappear in a Duabi hospital suffering from an unspecified illness.

Meanwhile the Daily mail asks:

Portsmouth owner Sulaiman Al Fahim: Is he all that he seems?

Seems he pursued a:

I think Portsmouth FC are in big trouble.

Yes we are-big trouble. I'm philosophical about relegation but I am worried about administration. I really don't want to be starting in the Championship on -10.

All those bloated, tattooed, shaven-headed alpha males will go on the rampage when they finally realise what`s happening.

Is that the supporters or the financiers?

Yes we are-big trouble. I'm philosophical about relegation but I am worried about administration. I really don't want to be starting in the Championship on -10.

You might not have the luxury of that as an option. Unless financial backing is found soon next year you will be supporting Havant & Waterlooville.

You might not have the luxury of that as an option. Unless financial backing is found soon next year you will be supporting Havant & Waterlooville.

There will always be someone ready to step in.

Quick period of administration to get rid of the high earners then adjusting to life in the Championship; Leicester have shown the way.

Football clubs always survive in some form, because the fanbase is there.

Guest skullingtonjoe

You don't support your local team then SJ? ;)

Not since they slapped me down (2007) with a solicitor`s letter complaining about my novelty `Portsmouth FC` printed toilet rolls. :(

Guest skullingtonjoe

Is that the supporters or the financiers?

Probably both knowing Portsmouth :blink:

Considering the state of the finances in football, I think starting on -10 in the Chumpship could be your best option.

If a Premier League club doesn't go bankrupt in the next couple of years I'll be amazed.

Judging from the latest edition of Private Eye, Hull City appear to be in a spot of bother as well.

They've not filed accounts and the registered office for the company (or the holding company) has been changed to the Accountants.

Most football clubs are run with the same level of competence as the average bank. In the next couple of years the winner of the Premier League will be the last remaining team that is not in administration. Still, the price of footballers only ever goes up! FPI.

Guest skullingtonjoe

Even funnier when they are forced to amalgamate with saints just for both to survive financially. Two half wit loser teams should make a complete halfwit loser team biggrin.gif coming soon to the south coast.

wonder what the name of the new super club will be ? Pouthamton ? Solent United ? Sortsmouth ?

Probably `Chav Central` would be a good name for the new hybrid-monster! :lol:

as a southampton fan who's watched his team sink into league 1 with no prospect of escape, nearly going bust, i feel for them - as not having a rival team will be rubbish.

It is however, exceedingly funny.

Even funnier when they are forced to amalgamate with saints just for both to survive financially. Two half wit loser teams should make a complete halfwit loser team biggrin.gif coming soon to the south coast.

wonder what the name of the new super club will be ? Pouthamton ? Solent United ? Sortsmouth ?

Football clubs always survive in some form, because the fanbase is there.

Football clubs survive because HMRC is reluctant to liquidate them. There are big fat files for over half the professional clubs in the UK held by their Enforcement Office. If they actually sought to recover the arrears of tax by submitting winding up orders to the courts the English football leagues would vanish overnight. They have been having a free ride at everyone elses expense for a long, long time.

Edited by whatamisery