House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hectors House

Disgusting Scum At It Again

Daily Mail

Hero soldier who lost three limbs in Afghanistan taunted about his disabilities by teenagers

After losing three limbs fighting for his country, Matthew Weston might have expected to be treated with respect by the British public.

But the 20-year-old - who is one of the most seriously injured soldiers to survive since Britain began fighting in Afghanistan in 2001 - has instead had to endure cruel taunts in the street.

Yesterday his family were joined by politicians in condemning the cowards who insulted him.

Sapper Weston, of 33 Engineer Regiment, was first taunted by a callous teenager as he was being pushed in a wheelchair by his mother and girlfriend Bryony Bolland on an outing from hospital.

The yob shouted: 'Haven't you forgotten something? Oh yeah, your legs.'

Weeks later, as he was waiting to be served in a fish and chip shop, another lout sneered: 'If you didn't want to be blown up don't go to war.'

The incidents both happened in Birmingham, where he was being treated at the Royal Centre for Defence Medicine, Selly Oak Hospital.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1217411/Hero-soldier-lost-limbs-Afghanistan-taunted-disabilities-teenagers.html#ixzz0Sj3IhhTo

I wonder if anti rectuitment posters are legal or not, ie this is what you are fighting for...

And although it is incredibly harsh the second 'nasty comment' has some truth in it, in that it is a volunteer army, its why the UK gov doesnt want conscripts as its harder to send them off to die.

I wonder if anti rectuitment posters are legal or not, ie this is what you are fighting for...

And although it is incredibly harsh the second 'nasty comment' has some truth in it, in that it is a volunteer army, its why the UK gov doesnt want conscripts as its harder to send them off to die.

Whilst what you say is pretty reasonable, it is not really fair of the real World in my opinion. What about those who have lost both legs due to a car crash ?

Does this warrant having people shout at them "Oi, your own fault you go into that car, lost your legs, nae luck, your fault for getting into that Fiat Panda, if you didn't want to lose your legs why did you get into that car - we all know car accidents cause limb loss on a massive scale"

Who cares how these guys lost their limbs, they should not be abused for it. I think that is the important point.

It's not a true statement, because he didn't want to be blown up. It should be 'If you didn't want to have the risk of being blown up don't go to war' which also sounds much more reasonable.

If his aim was to be blown up it would be 'You wanted to be blown up so went to the war' which is the same as the original

What I mean is it's just an insult, not talking about the risk the soldier chose

to face or was not fully aware of.

Guest KingCharles1st

I wonder if the poor sod ever reflects of whether his Prime Minister was worth "fighting" for...

Guest AuntJess

Whilst what you say is pretty reasonable, it is not really fair of the real World in my opinion. What about those who have lost both legs due to a car crash ?

Does this warrant having people shout at them "Oi, your own fault you go into that car, lost your legs, nae luck, your fault for getting into that Fiat Panda, if you didn't want to lose your legs why did you get into that car - we all know car accidents cause limb loss on a massive scale"

Who cares how these guys lost their limbs, they should not be abused for it. I think that is the important point.

I agree. The mutilation and pain they have suffered, in a temperate community would arouse feelings of pity and sympathy. I wonder just what sort of youth this PC movement has kickstarted, with their laissez-faire policies on bad behaviour and cosseting tendencies, whenever anything remotely challenging presents itself.

I agree. The mutilation and pain they have suffered, in a temperate community would arouse feelings of pity and sympathy. I wonder just what sort of youth this PC movement has kickstarted, with their laissez-faire policies on bad behaviour and cosseting tendencies, whenever anything remotely challenging presents itself.

Actually, the abuse may be very rare indeed...it appears to have happened twice.....then again it would not have happened at all if the CAUSE of the war was one that the people beleived in.

were soldiers abused after WW1 or 2....probably not as the whole country was just about united in the CAUSE the soldiers were fighting for.

Our army today seems to be sent to far away places to get injured ( more likely than dying) for specious political points, rather than the protection of the nation.

come on government...WHY ARE WE THERE...REALLY...or is the reality just too embarrassing to mention?

Guest AuntJess

Daily Mail

Hero soldier who lost three limbs in Afghanistan taunted about his disabilities by teenagers

After losing three limbs fighting for his country, Matthew Weston might have expected to be treated with respect by the British public.

But the 20-year-old - who is one of the most seriously injured soldiers to survive since Britain began fighting in Afghanistan in 2001 - has instead had to endure cruel taunts in the street.

Yesterday his family were joined by politicians in condemning the cowards who insulted him.

Sapper Weston, of 33 Engineer Regiment, was first taunted by a callous teenager as he was being pushed in a wheelchair by his mother and girlfriend Bryony Bolland on an outing from hospital.

The yob shouted: 'Haven't you forgotten something? Oh yeah, your legs.'

Weeks later, as he was waiting to be served in a fish and chip shop, another lout sneered: 'If you didn't want to be blown up don't go to war.'

The incidents both happened in Birmingham, where he was being treated at the Royal Centre for Defence Medicine, Selly Oak Hospital.

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz0Sj3IhhTo

Time we implemented the 21st century version of the stocks. Publish the pictures of these little monsters. Paste them onto billboards. Give them the sort of publicity they really deserve.

Oops, forgot. We have to turn a blind eye whenever a 'child' does summat wrong.dry.gif

Interesting how the goalposts move for these little ratbags. When they do summat wrong - they are 'childen': when they want adult privileges, then they are 'adults'.rolleyes.gif

This is true, if we had conscripts there would need to be some constitutional regulations, particularly on the definition of 'defence' as per Greece and a few other places. I have a few difficulties with the uncritical tubthumping the Mail et al enter into and this new lust for parades, and I agree with G. Orwell, not inexperienced or cowardly himself that this isn't really part of our culture historically and is not an entirely positive development. He also said "Those who "abjure" violence can only do so because others are committing violence on their behalf." which I also agree with.

Which sounds a bit hard hearted towards poor old Tommy Atkins I know but it isn't meant to be. It is true that if it makes them and their families happier, thats something perhaps, but again I can think of rather more tangible ways that could be achieved. Its like a romantic gesture from a philandering partner, its nice and everything but if feelings were ever in doubt, perhaps there is a deeper problem.

I've always been a bit conflicted on this issue though, I used to wonder about Rememberence Sunday; would all the dead want to have been remembered as soldiers? Maybe some of them hated everything about it (particularly as an institution) and wouldn't have been impressed to see someone dripping in braid eulogising them, we'll never know I guess. Today I can't help but wonder how many people's epitaph should really read "I really wanted to get on a plumbing course but it was full when I applied and I wanted out of the house". :(

Theres something in Homer about this but I can't remember where, about once you call someone a hero it makes their death more acceptable, because death in battle that is something that happens to heroes.

Guest AuntJess

It's not a true statement, because he didn't want to be blown up. It should be 'If you didn't want to have the risk of being blown up don't go to war' which also sounds much more reasonable.

If his aim was to be blown up it would be 'You wanted to be blown up so went to the war' which is the same as the original

What I mean is it's just an insult, not talking about the risk the soldier chose

to face or was not fully aware of.

For decades young men have joined the forces because it was the only way to get an apprenticeship in the trades. For those wno weren't highly academic, or did not want to rot in academia getting a watered-down qual. - a useless piece of paper which won't get them a job - it was their best chance.

They accepted the risk of fighting, but since this country has changed its policies for fighting wars, from self-protection to trying to acquire mineral rights, then we can't blame them for not being up to scratch about this. Nor about the withdrawal of the kind of material support that would prevent ghastly injuries/save lives.

Let's face it: the injuries are as real whether they fight a 'worthwhile' war or not. They are a trained fighting force, not a bluddy think tank, or policy makers.

Daresay if they'd read History at a red-brick Uni. they'd have seen it coming, but they aren't scholars: Just young men looking for a way to get a decent living wage and a trade.sad.gif

Actually, the abuse may be very rare indeed...it appears to have happened twice.....then again it would not have happened at all if the CAUSE of the war was one that the people beleived in.

were soldiers abused after WW1 or 2....probably not as the whole country was just about united in the CAUSE the soldiers were fighting for.

Our army today seems to be sent to far away places to get injured ( more likely than dying) for specious political points, rather than the protection of the nation.

come on government...WHY ARE WE THERE...REALLY...or is the reality just too embarrassing to mention?

Post-Vietnam would be a good example of that. This is I think why so many Americans were keen to say they were supporting the wars as well as the troops, because once public support went for Vietnam, the young men caught up in it were treated terribly.

I often feel the ready availability of 'sick' or 'shock' media plays a large part in this. Anyone can go to a multitude of sites where they can watch torture, car crashes, murders and fights all in graphic detail. This has the effect of removing the shock value. Last Saturday in the town center an old lady had collapsed and was being attended by paramedics. Two young girls aged around 14 were walking in front of my wife and myself and they started laughing with one of them saying 'Did you see her face' then started to mimic the old ladies pain contorted face.

Guest AuntJess

I often feel the ready availability of 'sick' or 'shock' media plays a large part in this. Anyone can go to a multitude of sites where they can watch torture, car crashes, murders and fights all in graphic detail. This has the effect of removing the shock value. Last Saturday in the town center an old lady had collapsed and was being attended by paramedics. Two young girls aged around 14 were walking in front of my wife and myself and they started laughing with one of them saying 'Did you see her face' then started to mimic the old ladies pain contorted face.

Since the PC movement has effectively removed the opportunities for empathy-building, it is pretty much what I'd expect.ph34r.gif

Yes, seen plenty of that sort of behaviour myself, your lucky they didn't film it .

Guest X-QUORK

This is true, if we had conscripts there would need to be some constitutional regulations, particularly on the definition of 'defence' as per Greece and a few other places. I have a few difficulties with the uncritical tubthumping the Mail et al enter into and this new lust for parades, and I agree with G. Orwell, not inexperienced or cowardly himself that this isn't really part of our culture historically and is not an entirely positive development. He also said "Those who "abjure" violence can only do so because others are committing violence on their behalf." which I also agree with.

Which sounds a bit hard hearted towards poor old Tommy Atkins I know but it isn't meant to be. It is true that if it makes them and their families happier, thats something perhaps, but again I can think of rather more tangible ways that could be achieved. Its like a romantic gesture from a philandering partner, its nice and everything but if feelings were ever in doubt, perhaps there is a deeper problem.

I've always been a bit conflicted on this issue though, I used to wonder about Rememberence Sunday; would all the dead want to have been remembered as soldiers? Maybe some of them hated everything about it (particularly as an institution) and wouldn't have been impressed to see someone dripping in braid eulogising them, we'll never know I guess. Today I can't help but wonder how many people's epitaph should really read "I really wanted to get on a plumbing course but it was full when I applied and I wanted out of the house". :(

Theres something in Homer about this but I can't remember where, about once you call someone a hero it makes their death more acceptable, because death in battle that is something that happens to heroes.

Cogs I enjoy your thought provoking posts. I'm a fairly rare beast in that I served for 12 years but these days I'm a bit of a lefty and increasingly more pacifist in my beliefs. That said, I'm a strong believer in Remeberence Sunday which is much more about reflecting on the horror of war than glorifying in it...just ask any of those veterans.

I have a natural tendency to be defensive when the Forces take stick, but since Iraq I've realised that we must question the rights and wrongs of sending our people to fight in far away lands...Labour have been far too willing to spill the blood of others.

Cogs I enjoy your thought provoking posts. I'm a fairly rare beast in that I served for 12 years but these days I'm a bit of a lefty and increasingly more pacifist in my beliefs. That said, I'm a strong believer in Remeberence Sunday which is much more about reflecting on the horror of war than glorifying in it...just ask any of those veterans.

I have a natural tendency to be defensive when the Forces take stick, but since Iraq I've realised that we must question the rights and wrongs of sending our people to fight in far away lands...Labour have been far too willing to spill the blood of others.

I think that you are making a mistake if you believe that a child abusing a person with no legs, is simply airing a valid philosophical opinion. This made it into the Daily Mail because it was about an injured soldier, but the story really has nothing to do with soldiers or the war.

Guest X-QUORK

I think that you are making a mistake if you believe that a child abusing a person with no legs, is simply airing a valid philosophical opinion.

You've read into my post something that wasn't stated nor implied. I'm disgusted by the behaviour of these youths, and had I been present I'd have rearranged their faces for them, pacifist or not.

I think that you are making a mistake if you believe that a child abusing a person with no legs, is simply airing a valid philosophical opinion. This made it into the Daily Mail because it was about an injured soldier, but the story really has nothing to do with soldiers or the war.

I think thats as much a reply to me and FWIW I agree with you, but that wasn't what I was saying at all.

Guest AuntJess

I often feel the ready availability of 'sick' or 'shock' media plays a large part in this. Anyone can go to a multitude of sites where they can watch torture, car crashes, murders and fights all in graphic detail.

This has the effect of removing the shock value. Last Saturday in the town center an old lady had collapsed and was being attended by paramedics. Two young girls aged around 14 were walking in front of my wife and myself and they started laughing with one of them saying 'Did you see her face' then started to mimic the old ladies pain contorted face.

Yes. I had teenagers in General Studies Classes, who thought I was a 'wuss' for not being able to watch films of blood and gore. However, on a visit to Christie's hospital, I wasn't the one turning green who had to be taken out of the operating theatre observation booth.rolleyes.gif

Reality: I wonder how many of them are able to face up to things the way things REALLY are?

Yes. I had teenagers in General Studies Classes, who thought I was a 'wuss' for not being able to watch films of blood and gore. However, on a visit to Christie's hospital, I wasn't the one turning green who had to be taken out of the operating theatre observation booth.rolleyes.gif

Reality: I wonder how many of them are able to face up to things the way things REALLY are?

This public aggression towards anyone and everyone who looks different in any way is sadly now one of the main characteristics of the UK. Man with long hair - poofta, woman with short hair - lezza, man with no legs - hahaha, etc. See it all the time.

However, the Mail article is usual shyte: the photo caption should read 'Four-times victim', not 'Hero'. How is it heroic to get blown up? Victim of a society that without hestiation uses war to maintain economic hegemony, victim of horrible injuries, quite possibly preventable with better funding for armed forces, victim of feral street gang, victim of Mail hypocritic handwringing.

Who's the most guilty? - we all are.

Yes it is interesting to see how many of these people who find blood on gore on the telly or the computer screen so amusing rapidly turn into white faced blubbering two year olds when confronted with it in real life, either that or they make their own video of it, seems to make things better for them.

People are weird.

You've read into my post something that wasn't stated nor implied. I'm disgusted by the behaviour of these youths, and had I been present I'd have rearranged their faces for them, pacifist or not.

Of course, I wasn't suggesting that you thought it was a 'valid' opinion, just that the story here is about the abuse of a disabled man, not about the treatment of returning soldiers.