House Price Crash Forum

Nimby W*nkers Oppose Affordable Housing Scheme

HOLA441

At some point, you make a leap of faith and have to go with your gut feeling - do you trust the council, the developer, etc. etc. or do you simply buy somewhere else. But you can still be miffed about it.

'suppose so

HOLA442

IMO, having sink estates is better than having people sleeping on the streets, which is whats about to happen unless someone gets their finger out and actually builds shelter that ordinary people can afford.

If this doesn't happen, you'll see riots amd social unrest. No doubt about it.

I don't think the nimbys will want petrol bombs spoiling their gardens, do you? rolleyes.gif

nah - this just suppresses rents, not really much of a real housing shortage

HOLA443

IMO, having sink estates is better than having people sleeping on the streets, which is whats about to happen unless someone gets their finger out and actually builds shelter that ordinary people can afford.

If this doesn't happen, you'll see riots amd social unrest. No doubt about it.

I don't think the nimbys will want petrol bombs spoiling their gardens, do you? :rolleyes:

Nope, cheaper more accessible housing across the board would be more proactive. This means true affordable units of housing, not more reactive building of sink estate follies. Give people back the chance of social mobility and chance to aspire to better things. Too many people are born and die on sink estates, which will go down in history as one of our most momentous social failures.

Throwing more wood onto the fire will help no one.

Edited by PopGun

HOLA444

Fu*k 'em and their homes. These pr1cks need to be shown that they are subhuman filth. I hope we do get riots, because these bast4rds will be the first to get their houses torched. :ph34r:

idiot. How would you feel if you got a house you had waitied on being built moved in and all was well ...then, all of a sudden life changed...you have a council estate in your back garden or as close as.

What was the point in working hard all those years and saving the deposit when you could have went to the council and got one of these for ******all?

Developers think they can do what they want...when everyone is spending they will not be interested in affordable housing...they want it now cause it's paying them. When the economy picks up they will want to sell us prime property again.

HOLA445

Nope, cheaper more accessible housing across the board would be more proactive. This means true affordable units of housing, not more reactive building of sink estate follies. Give people back the chance of social mobility and chance to aspire to better things. Too many people are born and die on sink estates, which will go down in history as one of our most momentous social failures.

Throwing more wood onto the fire will help no one.

Fair enough. So it's build more shi1ty estates to house people or we get our massive HPC.

Nimbys don't want any cheap property built but still want there crap house value to remain high.

They are fuc*ing idiots.

HOLA446

idiot. How would you feel if you got a house you had waitied on being built moved in and all was well ...then, all of a sudden life changed...you have a council estate in your back garden or as close as.

What was the point in working hard all those years and saving the deposit when you could have went to the council and got one of these for ******all?

Developers think they can do what they want...when everyone is spending they will not be interested in affordable housing...they want it now cause it's paying them. When the economy picks up they will want to sell us prime property again.

investment risk

maybe you paid too much

fools, again

HOLA447
HOLA448

It's all about you isn't. This i'm alright so fu*k everyone else middle class attitude makes me sick. Your no better just because you took on a lifetimes worth of debt. :rolleyes:

HOLA449

what will you say when the following are approved near you ?

probation hostel

pikey thieving gypsy ******* camp

sexoffenders rehabilitation unit

if I have paid X for Y and been told this is what is going here,

There is the small matter of who you paid though, isn't there? You didn't pay anyone actually providing the 'pikey' or sex offender clearance services though, did you? You paid a landowner for services he self evidently is not providing and for the value of situations (the context of his site) that he had no responsibility for.

That in a nutshell, is why the real estate market is so problematic and abusive.

HOLA4410

probation hostel

if I have paid X for Y and been told this is what is going here, I am well within my rights to be a bit miffed when that does not happen (and I should kick myself for believing a salesman).

I'd love to know whether people would be happy about a whole new estate or a doubling of the size of the current one at the end of their road......

We're discussing affordable homes in case you were confused? dry.gif

HOLA4411

We're discussing affordable homes in case you were confused? dry.gif

they are all ways in which people are being subsidised into housing for them - they are also seen as undesirable to have nearby to your home. Would you obejct to a nonce's hostel next door to you ? OK, what about a centre for recovering junkies, or perhaps a battered wives' shelter or a rescue centre for abandoned dogs ?

See ?

The NIMBYs were opposing something they had (presumably) been told wouldn't happen - deliberately or by omission. Yes, it was affordable housing, but being honest, ask yourself, if you had borrowed to buy a house and something was proposed that would cut the value of your purchase, would you not object to it ?

HOLA4412

I agree, however I think we've had enough decades of condensed social housing schemes to know that this propesed development will be doomed to be a sink estate within a decade of completion. I'm all for social housing, but why do they have to be blocks of flats or estates of 20 houses or more? Surely we've moved on from this out of date 60s socailist idea of 'affordabe' housing.

Then we have the word affordable. even if the houses are two/three beds, they'll be anything but affordable and swallowed up by public or private landlords.

Little but many is the key, rows/blocks of five or six houses scattered around (like they used to build in the old days). Pi55ing in the wind with regards to any so called housing shortage yes, but must be a better policy then building even more sink estates!

I see what you're saying, but what I get annoyed about (not necessarily by you) is the lazy generalisation of:

Affordable homes = Troublesome neighbours.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

they are all ways in which people are being subsidised into housing for them - they are also seen as undesirable to have nearby to your home. Would you obejct to a nonce's hostel next door to you ? OK, what about a centre for recovering junkies, or perhaps a battered wives' shelter or a rescue centre for abandoned dogs ?

See ?

The NIMBYs were opposing something they had (presumably) been told wouldn't happen - deliberately or by omission. Yes, it was affordable housing, but being honest, ask yourself, if you had borrowed to buy a house and something was proposed that would cut the value of your purchase, would you not object to it ?

nah - I just wouldn't overpay so much for it in the first place

fools, once more

HOLA4415

I see what you're saying, but what I get annoyed about (not necessarily by you) is the lazy generalisation of:

Affordable homes = Troublesome neighbours.

I'd agree with you , but you'll also find that the pleading masses singing the hymns of "give us affordable housing" and "local homes for local people" are just as likely to want to somehow cook up a scheme to make thousands on their property, flog it for a profit and then buy somewhere else... I have no problem with them doing that of course, its just I find it rather hypocritical when " just having a home" was the plea they were using before they got the home . You'll find generalisations in all quarters of this debate I suspect.

HOLA4416

There's been a poster Turnbull2000 replying in the Grauniad CIF, property relevant stuff - is that you per chance ? :huh:

Edited by RockingHorse

HOLA4417

probation hostel

if I have paid X for Y and been told this is what is going here, I am well within my rights to be a bit miffed when that does not happen (and I should kick myself for believing a salesman).

I'd love to know whether people would be happy about a whole new estate or a doubling of the size of the current one at the end of their road......

Answer : "wish I hadn't bought off-plan/Below-market-value/designer/luxury/life-style des-res ! "

HOLA4418

It's all about you isn't. This i'm alright so fu*k everyone else middle class attitude makes me sick. Your no better just because you took on a lifetimes worth of debt.

So sorry you're offended, Wait-and-See, but cheer up - not all the country is controlled by nimbys. For example, there's lots of really great affordable housing up in Skelmersdale. It's solidly built, in a rather appealing 'defensive architectiure' style of construction. Many regular HPC'ers are familiar with them, and I can direct you to the links if you like.

I'm sure people in gated £600k developments are just as guilty as of popping over next door's wall to do a spot of robbing, or disassembling broken motor bikes on the living room carpet whilst playing Metallica through a 2k sound rig as any affordable housing dweller.

Some people are just so prejudiced - pah !

HOLA4419

So sorry you're offended, Wait-and-See, but cheer up - not all the country is controlled by nimbys. For example, there's lots of really great affordable housing up in Skelmersdale. It's solidly built, in a rather appealing 'defensive architectiure' style of construction. Many regular HPC'ers are familiar with them, and I can direct you to the links if you like.

I'm sure people in gated £600k developments are just as guilty as of popping over next door's wall to do a spot of robbing, or disassembling broken motor bikes on the living room carpet whilst playing Metallica through a 2k sound rig as any affordable housing dweller.

Some people are just so prejudiced - pah !

People in gated £600k developments should be more worried about not getting there homes burned down, than thieving off each other.

Most are drug dealing / bank working filth anyway. Driving an X5 has never made anyone a decent person. Remember that one old man. :rolleyes:

HOLA4420

People in gated £600k developments should be more worried about not getting there homes burned down, than thieving off each other.

Most are drug dealing / bank working filth anyway. Driving an X5 has never made anyone a decent person. Remember that one old man. :rolleyes:

I've got a free bus pass. What's an X5 ?

;)

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423