House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Turnbull2000

Nimby W*nkers Oppose Affordable Housing Scheme

http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/Anger-at-social-housing-plan.5694883.jp

Residents of Silverbirch Road expected to be looking out over 20 up market properties as the blossoming development expanded - but are furious they are set to be replaced by 50 affordable homes.

Bellway initially planned to build 20 five and six bedroomed homes and later changed that to 33 two and three bedroomed properties.

That has now been ditched for the social housing proposal after Bellway won an undisclosed Government grant from the Homes and Communities Agency (HCA), which oversees housing and regeneration schemes, to boost the availability of affordable housing.

http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/Homes-row-Homeowners-39knew-nothing.5695265.jp

The rear of Mrs Donley's home will be just a few hundred yards from the new development.

She said: "I would not have moved in had I known about this.

"I looked at the plans at the time we were considering moving here and it was for the original development, not affordable housing.

tw*ts

I guess it depends on the plot its sited on - one scheme in Wellingborough northants that is bordered by mostly detached and semi-det suburban housing had permission for 339 homes, which was quietly upped to 1107 homes, plus retail and business units! Even when it was 339 homes they would have been typical postage stamp plot sizes, god knows what theyll be like at 3+ times that density.

Just our crazy planning system unfortunately. If you want to build one house its nigh on impossible, if you want to convert an existing structure, still difficult, if your a big developer proposing an 'urban extension' come on in, we'll ask questions about infrastructure later...

why are they twats? I'd be pissed off if an affordable housing development was knocked up on my doorstep.

Yes the majority of residents are alright but there are bound to be a few that could potentially ruin your quality of life.

Deborah Fairbotham, 32, who works in the HR department of Middlesbrough Council, has lived in Silverbirch Road for 10 months and paid £150,000 for her three-bedroomed detached house.

She said: "The site is wholly unsuitable for social or affordable housing.

"I fear this area would not be the paradise of mixed socio-economic groups, but more a ghetto of those unable to travel and get to work, leading to jealousy and petty crime.

Look at the shameless snobbery on this useless council jobsworth. Get her.

Maybe the poor should have dorms above ASDA so they can shuffle downstairs to and slave to pay for her local council sinecure.

why are they twats? I'd be pissed off if an affordable housing development was knocked up on my doorstep.

Yes the majority of residents are alright but there are bound to be a few that could potentially ruin your quality of life.

Everyone would.

The rear of Mrs Donley's home will be just a few hundred yards from the new development.

A few hundred yards. 17 hundred yards is a few hundred yards. 3 hundred yards is also a fair distance. It's not on their 'doorstep' - that would be 0 hundred yards.

That's a lame excuse for a nimby. "well it's not in my back yard, but it's in someone else's back yard about half a mile away."

To55er5

Everyone should oppose affordable housing schemes because they're just a way of forcing up house prices. Like the scrappage scheme forces the price of cars beyond honest people''s reach.

I looked at buying in a couple of gated developments and that they actually let the scum inside the gates! It's as if they don't even what the gate is for?

I'd only want an "un-affordable" housing scheme. Keep out the undesirable element, and you non-neighbours are extremely quiet! ;)

I'd only want an "un-affordable" housing scheme. Keep out the undesirable element, and you non-neighbours are extremely quiet! ;)

but houses are still unaffordable

Just human nature - self-interest. Almost anyone would be opposed to a change that devalues their house.

Fu*k 'em and their homes. These pr1cks need to be shown that they are subhuman filth. I hope we do get riots, because these bast4rds will be the first to get their houses torched. :ph34r:

Look at the shameless snobbery on this useless council jobsworth. Get her.

Maybe the poor should have dorms above ASDA so they can shuffle downstairs to and slave to pay for her local council sinecure.

Yeah, that's a classic. The idea that the 'underclass' don't have cars is very much 1920's. I imagine that one of the main problems with high density housing is the lack of parking, at least on a traditional council estate we have a reasonable amount.

Anyone on this site that advocates this type of NIMBYism, is quite frankly, a hypocrite.

End of.

what will you say when the following are approved near you ?

probation hostel

pikey thieving gypsy ******* camp

sexoffenders rehabilitation unit

if I have paid X for Y and been told this is what is going here, I am well within my rights to be a bit miffed when that does not happen (and I should kick myself for believing a salesman).

I'd love to know whether people would be happy about a whole new estate or a doubling of the size of the current one at the end of their road......

Anyone on this site that advocates this type of NIMBYism, is quite frankly, a hypocrite.

End of.

I agree, however I think we've had enough decades of condensed social housing schemes to know that this propesed development will be doomed to be a sink estate within a decade of completion. I'm all for social housing, but why do they have to be blocks of flats or estates of 20 houses or more? Surely we've moved on from this out of date 60s socailist idea of 'affordabe' housing.

Then we have the word affordable. even if the houses are two/three beds, they'll be anything but affordable and swallowed up by public or private landlords.

Little but many is the key, rows/blocks of five or six houses scattered around (like they used to build in the old days). Pi55ing in the wind with regards to any so called housing shortage yes, but must be a better policy then building even more sink estates!

I agree, however I think we've had enough decades of condensed social housing schemes to know that this propesed development will be doomed to be a sink estate within a decade of completion. I'm all for social housing, but why do they have to be blocks of flats or estates of 20 houses or more? Surely we've moved on from this out of date 60s socailist idea of 'affordabe' housing.

Then we have the word affordable. even if the houses are two/three beds, they'll be anything but affordable and swallowed up by public or private landlords.

Little but many is the key, rows/blocks of five or six houses scattered around (like they used to build in the old days). Pi55ing in the wind with regards to any so called housing shortage yes, but must be a better policy then building even more sink estates!

IMO, having sink estates is better than having people sleeping on the streets, which is whats about to happen unless someone gets their finger out and actually builds shelter that ordinary people can afford.

If this doesn't happen, you'll see riots amd social unrest. No doubt about it.

I don't think the nimbys will want petrol bombs spoiling their gardens, do you? :rolleyes:

Hahahahahaha!

not in contract

fools

it will never be in the contract - no developer would sign up to say it.

At some point, you make a leap of faith and have to go with your gut feeling - do you trust the council, the developer, etc. etc. or do you simply buy somewhere else. But you can still be miffed about it.

what will you say when the following are approved near you ?

probation hostel

pikey thieving gypsy ******* camp

sexoffenders rehabilitation unit

if I have paid X for Y and been told this is what is going here, I am well within my rights to be a bit miffed when that does not happen (and I should kick myself for believing a salesman).

I'd love to know whether people would be happy about a whole new estate or a doubling of the size of the current one at the end of their road......

Hahahahahaha!

not in contract

fools

So is it affordable housing or social housing, 'cos they're different things in my mind

affordable housing is cheap houses, maybe part-ownership, part-subsidised, hence cheaper, more affordable mortgages for working types

social housing is netto ghetto types, single unemployables climbing through your kitchen window to nick your stuff to sell for their next hit

Face it, for someone on benefits, is there such a thing as unaffordable housing? Because they get their rent paid for them anyways.

Bit of a generalisation, but hey, that's what generalising is all about