House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1929crash

Big Brother State A "good Thing"

"The surveillance state is in many circumstances a jolly good thing," an adviser to the NHS has told a fringe meeting at the Labour Conference.

Tim Kelsey urged more "surveillance" of personal data to cut hospital deaths and improve public services in general.

Justice Secretary Jack Straw was earlier this year forced to drop plans to increase data sharing from the Coroner's Bill but Labour's controversial Transformational government programme continues.

Mr Kelsey claimed Prime Minister Gordon Brown had recently sent a memo to government departments ordering more data sharing after a briefing by his adviser Sir Tim Berners-Lee.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8283240.stm

Hearing Liebour defending theyre new childcare hysteria laws a few weeks ago, some bigwig MP of theirs came out with the line 'if it saves just one child then it was worth it' Which to me sums up the complete myopic soundbite attitude of the party.

Stopping ANY child having ANY contact with ANY adult would save a lot more than one child. Does that mean we should do it?

Im afraid like all lefty fascists, the end ALWAYS justifys the means, irrespective of whatever awful (un)intended consquences result.

They believe in government, its what they do, they are pathologically incapable of leaving us alone, because there is just the tiny chance we may do something they disagree with.

Unfortunately they are just reflecting the views of a disturbingly large majority of people in the UK.

I came to the conclusion that the majority of people in the UK want a fascist totalitarian state where people vanish like in N Korea or the Ex USSR , people never thought it through and always used nothing to hide etc as if it were some magic bullet to win an arguement. And thus these are the UK people's demands and the government reflects upon this. I'm not fussed either way as a multiple passport holder so when/if this place goes to hell in a hand cart or near about that time I can simply leave.

Unfortunately they are just reflecting the views of a disturbingly large majority of people in the UK.

I came to the conclusion that the majority of people in the UK want a fascist totalitarian state where people vanish like in N Korea or the Ex USSR , people never thought it through and always used nothing to hide etc as if it were some magic bullet to win an arguement. And thus these are the UK people's demands and the government reflects upon this. I'm not fussed either way as a multiple passport holder so when/if this place goes to hell in a hand cart or near about that time I can simply leave.

You could try supporting this lot:

http://www.no2id.net

But what if Japan goes the same way? What then? (Do you hold other passports? If so - rinse and repeat. It's not called the NWorldO for nothing.)

When did we get so afraid in this country? There's a sort of presumption about all this surveillance stuff I don't like. The claim that "it's for your own good" so they can basically do what they like. Like some raving mad over protective parent infantilizing their children, desperately trying to stop them from growing up. I wish these swine would concentrate on the important stuff instead of just slavishly enslaving us.... :unsure: in the name of free market ideology....errrm or something.

The power of nightmares which was on a few years ago has some good theories on how people are cowed into submission. you can see some evidence towards it. what is said in the programme all around you.

The gist of TPoN is

In the 1940s 1950s and 1960s politicians promised a better tommorow , with Labour types wanting to lead us to a new Jurusalem....quite simply they failed totally and utterly , psychologically this was positive reinforcement ie good stuff for voting for us and thus turned to fearism instead which is sort of negative reinforcement that is the removal of something unpleasnat , in that they were the only ones who could protect us the removal of the boogie man was their power... first it was the USSR , then it was the terrorists etc.

Its well worth spending 3 hours watching it....and its never been aired in the US for some reason , hell you remember the 2005 elections you'd see republican adverts showing wolves 'out to get americans' and that Kerry would allow the wolves to get us.

But what if Japan goes the same way? What then? (Do you hold other passports? If so - rinse and repeat. It's not called the NWorldO for nothing.)

I'm hoping that the patriots in the USA will stand up eventually and say "enough is enough" to all this surveillance/nanny state garbage. Most Brits are too busy reading about Jordon and Peter or watching some crappy talent show to even think about freedom and why its important. The people living in the larger EU states are accustomed to living under fairly oppressive governments so are unlikely to stand up for themselves.

New Zealand is a pretty 'free' country, we don't have many CCTV cameras and people get quite irate when the government is perceived to be nannying us at all. Hopefully we're too small to afford the infrastructure necessary to implement the UK's Big Brother style government. However, closer ties to our brothers in Australia might bring some of their oppressive new censorship laws to our shores.

So many buy into the 'nothing to hide, nothing to fear' and 'if these measures save just one person from being a victim' gambits. They resonate with an awful lot of people - probably the majority - who are so often too idle and/or feckless to bother themselves with critical thinking.

Here in Britain everyone's home and mobile phone activities are logged and recorded ( http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7021647.stm ) and made available to several hundred bodies, many of whom are unelected QUANGOs, who can access a year's worth of data without our knowledge or consent. That was introduced two years ago and, at a guess, has attracted less than one percent of media's attention than that afforded to the personal lives of Jade Goody, Katie Price and legions of other nobodies.

Police can stop any citizen in the streets to demand their name and address without offering any reason. Failure to comply is a criminal offence. Ditto re the searching of vehicles.

Add in the world's largest DNA database and the highest concentration of CCTV cameras and one has to wonder why this country is so out of sync with others', especially the USA where millions are armed and the planet's worst (supposedly) terrorist attacks occurred.

Can the above (plus lots more besides) be dismissed as a head-scratching coincidence, or are we being set up in readiness for the aftermath of a financial collapse?

We should hide children away, in filing cabinets, so the peados can't find them.

Just like in the excellent "Brass Eye" documentary!

I'm hoping that the patriots in the USA will stand up eventually and say "enough is enough" to all this surveillance/nanny state garbage. Most Brits are too busy reading about Jordon and Peter or watching some crappy talent show to even think about freedom and why its important. The people living in the larger EU states are accustomed to living under fairly oppressive governments so are unlikely to stand up for themselves.

New Zealand is a pretty 'free' country, we don't have many CCTV cameras and people get quite irate when the government is perceived to be nannying us at all. Hopefully we're too small to afford the infrastructure necessary to implement the UK's Big Brother style government. However, closer ties to our brothers in Australia might bring some of their oppressive new censorship laws to our shores.

No country is immune.

New Zealand has the smacking ban, which many regard as outrageously intrusive.

No country is immune.

New Zealand has the smacking ban, which many regard as outrageously intrusive.

All roads lead to tyranny / Harare, its just that some countries are at different stages of tyranny and some are approaching the end game (Ie North Korea style state) faster than others. The UK / China / N korea / US are fairly far down the path of tyranny. (Though when I was in Beijing I was surprised to see a demonstration south of the temple of heaven which surprised me as the cops just stood around looking bored , in the UK clubbings would have occured). But to transform into tyranny takes time , it took the UK 12 years from Labour's 1997 to turn into what we are now and some more repressive measures are still to be enacted.

Alot of people complain life sentences are not life , but I consider a sentence of say 20 years to be a very big chunk of your life , then if a country remains somewhat unrepressive or takes 20 years to get repressive (as in the UK the repressive policies have taken nearly 30 years of my life to be put in place) then my 'life' has mostly been freeish.

You get freaky coutries like Taiwan that reverse the tyranny into stable freeish countries but this is rare.

All roads lead to tyranny / Harare, its just that some countries are at different stages of tyranny and some are approaching the end game (Ie North Korea style state) faster than others. The UK / China / N korea / US are fairly far down the path of tyranny. (Though when I was in Beijing I was surprised to see a demonstration south of the temple of heaven which surprised me as the cops just stood around looking bored , in the UK clubbings would have occured). But to transform into tyranny takes time , it took the UK 12 years from Labour's 1997 to turn into what we are now and some more repressive measures are still to be enacted.

Alot of people complain life sentences are not life , but I consider a sentence of say 20 years to be a very big chunk of your life , then if a country remains somewhat unrepressive or takes 20 years to get repressive (as in the UK the repressive policies have taken nearly 30 years of my life to be put in place) then my 'life' has mostly been freeish.

You get freaky coutries like Taiwan that reverse the tyranny into stable freeish countries but this is rare.

The heavy hand of the state pre-dates NuLab. The conduct of the police during the miners' strike of 1984/5 was blatantly political, and accounts published since have conceded that the plods were being run directly out of Whitehall.