House Price Crash Forum

Quitting Hpc Because Of Incredibly Crap New Design

HOLA441
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

What if we left the software alone forever like some forums do? Simple - all sorts of bad things would (not might - *would*) happen, like some nasty person might break in and steal passwords/take over accounts or set off a spam bot and all sorts of other nefarious stuff like that. The truth is, this forum upgrade was done for security reasons, to ensure that we can track the latest security patches. It was most certainly not upgraded to take advantage of the natty new design...

If we didn't fix the security issues and track latest versions of the forum software then that would be a *far greater* reason to leave in my opinion.

Please bear with us while we settle in the new software and tweak the design, it just takes a little time that's all...

Flame away,

Mark.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
Guest X-QUORK

What if we left the software alone forever like some forums do? Simple - all sorts of bad things would (not might - *would*) happen, like some nasty person might break in and steal passwords/take over accounts or set off a spam bot and all sorts of other nefarious stuff like that. The truth is, this forum upgrade was done for security reasons, to ensure that we can track the latest security patches. It was most certainly not upgraded to take advantage of the natty new design...

If we didn't fix the security issues and track latest versions of the forum software then that would be a *far greater* reason to leave in my opinion.

Please bear with us while we settle in the new software and tweak the design, it just takes a little time that's all...

Flame away,

Mark.

A little prior warning next time?

Also, is it not possible to run the new software on a test server before going live?

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

A little prior warning next time?

Also, is it not possible to run the new software on a test server before going live?

Yep, completely agree...

From the server admin point of view, this forum upgrade has been planned for a long time (months), but please note that we (Fubra admins) only take care of the server end and the software, we don't manage the design/layout of the site. You probably should have had some notice of the switchover. Bottom line, it was deemed more urgent to get the site upgraded for security reasons than it was to perfect the padding width around posts...

As to your second point - *of course* the software was installed on a test server first - and the software was running fine, no operational issues at all - there was even a thread providing a link for people to test the new software before it went live... The only major issue we've had with the switchover is the database upgrade script running in the background has been slowing the site down and causing some pages not to load. Other than that there have been a few small issues to tweak but nothing really major. The migration has actually gone pretty smoothly from a server point of view...

You don't think we'd just dump the software on and hope for the best do you?

As for design issues, you'll need to direct that feedback towards Webmaster, who I imagine is probably on his third keyboard today already :)

M.

HOLA449
Guest theboltonfury

Well done techies, you got rid of that lying, Jocky Wilson shagging, tosser, Property Guru, who can't even remember how many kids he's got.

HOLA4410
Guest theboltonfury

THIS THREAD SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE MENTALITY OF MODERN BRITISH PEOPLE. THEY HATE CHANGE, ARE BAD AT ADAPTING AND ARE ALWAYS LOOKING BACK. NO WONDER BRITAIN IS FALLING BEHIND THE REST OF THE WORLD!

Caps lock is usually on the left hand side of your keyboard.

HOLA4411

What's the problem? I managed to read the 3 pages of this thread much quicker than a similar sized thread on the old design.

Big improvement, well done

edit1: Plus adding posts is quicker

edit2: And editing/changing a post is also faster

Edited by ReggiePerrin

HOLA4412
Guest X-QUORK

You don't think we'd just dump the software on and hope for the best do you?

As for design issues, you'll need to direct that feedback towards Webmaster, who I imagine is probably on his third keyboard today already :)

M.

Appreciate the feedback, it's helping to reduce my blood pressure.

It seems from what you're saying that all the server testing was carried out adequately but no thought was given to the user experience, which has been bloody awful. In fact, as I type I can no longer see the text because it's disappeared off to the right somewhere under a load of smilies.

Aah well, sounds like the folk at HPC are aware and on the case now which is the main thing.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

My main gripe is the line spacing. The main forum topic list is too spaced out now. I either need a larger monitor, a higher resolution or a fix. Can you configure this through preferences?

Also - the editor is a little buggy and managed to corrupt a post I added yesterday. I spotted the David Resenberg article first (last night) but couldn't be arsed to bump it as it looked terrible after conversion...

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

This reminds we of the time they changed the neighbours themetune.

I hated it initially but eventually I learnt to love it and then there was no going back.

It's more like when Revels changed the coconut for the coffee option.

Showing my age...

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

CAN YOU GUESS WHAT THE MONKEY IS COOOKIN?

STR MUST DIE!!!]

OH MY GOD,I COME BACK. AND THIS FORUM IS SOO SLOW. WILL CHECK BAC K TOMOROW IF NOT I LL HAVE T WAIT UNTIL THEY SORT IT OUT BEFORE I CAN BARE MUCH MORE WAITING,.,...