House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest UK Debt Slave

Web Browser Probs

Guest UK Debt Slave

I am running Internet Explorer 6 at the moment because IE7 kept on crashing

I'm using Windows XP Pro. I wouldn't touch Vista with a bargepole

I need to update my web browser but I would prefer not to use Microsoft

I know there are a few alternatives out there. Can any of you summarize the pros and cons of the various web browsers that are available out there and recommend one that'll work well with Windows XP

Thanks

Guest Dizzy Rash Call

I am running Internet Explorer 6 at the moment because IE7 kept on crashing

I'm using Windows XP Pro. I wouldn't touch Vista with a bargepole

I need to update my web browser but I would prefer not to use Microsoft

I know there are a few alternatives out there. Can any of you summarize the pros and cons of the various web browsers that are available out there and recommend one that'll work well with Windows XP

Thanks

Install Firefox, take a look at the add-ons you can install, some are very useful, noscripts, adblock.

Install Firefox, take a look at the add-ons you can install, some are very useful, noscripts, adblock.

Firefox is ok if you dont mind waiting for it to load. I tend to have lots of browser windows open, so its no use to me, and I have a computer with 4 gb of ram and running raid. So its going to be even slower for you. IE8 is great for me and I wouldnt think twice about upgrading to it.

Chrome is great on my laptop, but since it wont allow a permanent zoom it is useless on my main computers massive screen.

Chrome is great on my laptop, but since it wont allow a permanent zoom it is useless on my main computers massive screen.

I use IE8 too. If I wanted to try this Chrome thingy, or Firefox for that matter, would I have to get rid of IE, or can I have both and then use either one?

I use IE8 too. If I wanted to try this Chrome thingy, or Firefox for that matter, would I have to get rid of IE, or can I have both and then use either one?

You can install IE, Chrome, Firefox all at the same time. My fave at the moment is Firefox, but I change my allegiances quite often!

What you can't do is have IE7 and IE8 at the same time, but why would you?

You can install IE, Chrome, Firefox all at the same time. My fave at the moment is Firefox, but I change my allegiances quite often!

Thanks for that. Have been using Chrome now for a couple of hours. It's as though I had bought a faster new laptop !!!

IE8 can be very slow if you have Spybot installed. Spybot's domain list of bad urls slows down IE8 enormously.

Firefox is probably the best alternative - download and see if you like it.

Chrome is fast but has very limited functionality and the banking sites do not like it.

Loads of others.

Why not upgrade IE8, installed Chrome and Firefox and see which you prefer?

I

Chrome is fast but has very limited functionality and the banking sites do not like it.

Not sure what you mean by "very limited functionality". It seems to be fine so far. Logged into three different banks this morning, and doesn't seem to be a problem.

Guest UK Debt Slave

IE8 can be very slow if you have Spybot installed. Spybot's domain list of bad urls slows down IE8 enormously.

Firefox is probably the best alternative - download and see if you like it.

Loads of others.

Why not upgrade IE8, installed Chrome and Firefox and see which you prefer?

Thanks for the tips chaps

I think I'll give firefox a shot.

What about antivirus software. I have AVG 8.0, a full version. I've had a few things sneak though though. Again, I am using XP, not the ghastly Vista

Thanks for the tips chaps

I think I'll give firefox a shot.

What about antivirus software. I have AVG 8.0, a full version. I've had a few things sneak though though. Again, I am using XP, not the ghastly Vista

Have a butchers at Flock..I've found Chrome a bit too annoying & keeps freezing (although it could be my PC). As default, Flock has good webmail integration (such as gmail) & care store account details (some people will see this as good things, others wont. It does make live easier though)...